- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

opdaddy

opdaddy

• 500 plus
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
is it recommended that one with diabetes go to the e.r. if they had a tummy flu and diabetes??

Will

Will

• 500 plus
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

is it recommended that one with diabetes go to the e.r. if they had a tummy flu and diabetes??

Holy crap man, its bad but you should avoid the ER if you CAN.

Keep yourself hydrated, and do not let your body start producing ketones. To do this you have to keep doing insulin and eating food. Are you on a pump?

I have been in the hospital 2 times in the past 6 months with stomach flu, and it was horrible. Dont get dehydrated, and keep your potassium and electrolite (sp?) levels up. Gatorade is great because it keeps your body burning glucose and not fat, which produces ketones and happens VERY easily when you are sick. Check your bloodsugar every half hour.

Will

Will

• 500 plus
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts
When I was a kid and I was producing ketones when I was sick, they had my mom put some Coke in the microwave for a few seconds, just to take the carbonation out. I could then dip my toung in it to absorb some sugar to to do insulin for. I could do this even if I was throwing up and could not keep down juice or whatever.

camjen1

camjen1

• 500 plus
  • 3,658 posts
Keep the fluid going and NEVER skip your meds. Even though you feel like you can't eat or that you can't keep anything down you still have to check your sugars and adjust your insulin accordingly. The first time I got sick while having diabetes I stopped taking my insulin and I wound up in the ICU in DKA for 4 days.
~Sandi~
Pumping for almost 6 years
MM Purple 722 with Humalog
Symlin

Just because I've been on df for a whole day doesn't mean I'm ADDICTED... my chair is just COMFY...

Cyborg

Cyborg

• 500 plus
  • 7,866 posts
I got the Rotavirus a few weeks ago and it was real tough on me. Thank goodness it didn't last long. My bg was through the roof and I had to constantly do correction boluses to chase it down. I was also showing slight ketones during the episode. Like everyone says, drink lots of fluids and don't let the bg get out of control. Insulin is your tool. Best wishes for a speedy recovery. :puke:

ngueld

ngueld

• 500 plus
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
even though your sick and not eating, your blood sugar will probably be higher just from the virus, so yeah you shouldn't have to goto the hospital just keep a close eye on things.

Eri's mom

Eri's mom

• 500 plus
  • 2,037 posts
Definitely keep the fluids going...

Eri went into DKA extremely fast last year from food poisoning(lovely strawberries)...and believe it or not, her endo(same one who WON'T put her on the pump) told me to NEVER give her gatorade or powerade. Weird or what?
She said Propel was good to give(made by gatorade)...so, we always have a nice supply of Propel in the house.

Hope you feel better soon!!!

Funnygrl

Funnygrl

• 500 plus
  • 6,763 posts
Gatorade and powerade are both pretty high carb, while propel has the electrolytes but less carbs. Are you guys ever gonna start the pump? Do you still have the pump, just not on it?

Will

Will

• 500 plus
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Definitely keep the fluids going...

Eri went into DKA extremely fast last year from food poisoning(lovely strawberries)...and believe it or not, her endo(same one who WON'T put her on the pump) told me to NEVER give her gatorade or powerade. Weird or what?
She said Propel was good to give(made by gatorade)...so, we always have a nice supply of Propel in the house.

Hope you feel better soon!!!

That endo is a MORON.

You need to keep glucose is the body, and keep insulin going to burn the Carbs, otherwise, the body starts burning fat very quickly and you will end up in ketoacidosis before you know it.

Will

Will

• 500 plus
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Gatorade and powerade are both pretty high carb, while propel has the electrolytes but less carbs. Are you guys ever gonna start the pump? Do you still have the pump, just not on it?

Gatorade has just is almost the same as Milk, I would not call that high in carbs

Eri's mom

Eri's mom

• 500 plus
  • 2,037 posts
Yep, we still have the pump. I actually just moved it INTO the one hall closet b/c seeing it everyday was just frustrating.

I'm seriously considering moving back to FL for a few reasons...at least there I KNOW I can get her started on the pump. I really miss her endo there, he's awesome!

Eri's mom

Eri's mom

• 500 plus
  • 2,037 posts
Oh, and yeah, her endo that said she wouldn't put her on the pump, she also told me I must not have taken Eri to see the psychoendocrinologist after the one meeting in the hospital(I have!...he said she is an "old soul" and smarter than her years and has a good grasp on things)...she didn't believe me and said she'd check w/ him(now THAT frustrates me, why in the world would I like???)...AND, this is the CHIEF of endocrinology!!!
(btw, one of the other endo's in the same office who saw Eri a few times and then saw her again while she was in w/ the NG tube thingy said that he would put her on the pump...BUT, he's not chief I suppose...who knows? Maybe it's bc the other endo and I had some words when she took Eri off the lantus and novolog...God only knows.)

SOMETIMESSHELBY

SOMETIMESSHELBY

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
So I have been throwing up since 11pm. Can't keep anything down, not even water. My bs is 181. If I even roll over I very painfully dry heave. Was taken by ambulance to er 2 weeks ago bc I drank a few cocktails and didn't bolus not knowing how severely dehydrated I was. I'm afraid to get dehydrated again. Any suggestions?? Er?

andypoo

andypoo

• 500 plus
  • 1,865 posts
I am still recouping from it,Man,it was baaaaaad! I drank Gatorade,they have the new stuff out called G-2 low in carbs and sodium,its great! I didn't have a choice in getting it,either. My dad had it and then my brother. I take care of my elderly parents so I was thoroughly exposed,and they had the flu shot.I always say they get it evevrytime even with the flu shot,every single time!
Difficulties present choices:
we can either waste away from
our wounds or use them to grow our souls

The balance is,as always,delicate
We are constantly falling off one side are the other.
But the center is always there,waiting for us to discover it.

"Before you know kindness / as the deepest thing inside, / you must know sorrow / as the other deepest thing…. / Then it is only kindness / that makes sense anymore…."

andypoo

andypoo

• 500 plus
  • 1,865 posts

So I have been throwing up since 11pm. Can't keep anything down, not even water. My bs is 181. If I even roll over I very painfully dry heave. Was taken by ambulance to er 2 weeks ago bc I drank a few cocktails and didn't bolus not knowing how severely dehydrated I was. I'm afraid to get dehydrated again. Any suggestions?? Er?

PLEASE GET GATORADE!!!!!!...........you have to replace your electrolytes!!!
hope you get better,bless your heart!
Difficulties present choices:
we can either waste away from
our wounds or use them to grow our souls

The balance is,as always,delicate
We are constantly falling off one side are the other.
But the center is always there,waiting for us to discover it.

"Before you know kindness / as the deepest thing inside, / you must know sorrow / as the other deepest thing…. / Then it is only kindness / that makes sense anymore…."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users