Pancreas Burnout

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

Cyborg

Cyborg

• 500 plus
  • 7,866 posts
Is there such a thing as overworking your pancreas until it no longer produces insulin? Or is it simply a myth being passed around without any medical evidence to back it up?

JediSkipdogg

JediSkipdogg

• 500 plus
  • 8,761 posts
  • I am a:Type 1

Is there such a thing as overworking your pancreas until it no longer produces insulin? Or is it simply a myth being passed around without any medical evidence to back it up?

Yes, it's true and not a myth. The same principal applies with many organs, mainly the heart. My grandfather passed away about a year ago from his heart just quitting. He was down to it being 25% efficient and then it finally just gave out. The heart is the #1 overworked organ in the body, mainly from high cholestrol levels and requiring more pressure to pump blood through the body.

In terms of the pancreas, you are overworking the islet cells to maximum production. What happens when overwork mowing the yard? Well, if you mow a 25 acre yard with a push mower then you get exhausted and have to rest. If you don't rest, you pass out and go in the hospital. Same principal applies to the islet cells, if you don't give them breaks and eat massive carbs all the time, they will overwork themselves to the point of exhaustion. It may take a while for them to truely die, but it can make them shut themselves off which then produces less insulin.

I know the above is far from a medical definition. But the best answer I could come up with now at work.

●Police Dispatcher
●Type 1 diabetic since 11 months old
●Pumper since December of 2002
~Animas IR 1000 (Dec. 2002 - Jan. 2005)
~Animas IR 1200 (Jan. 2005 - Jan. 2009)
~Cozmo 1800 (Jan. 2009 - ?)
●Dexcom Seven+ (Aug 1, 2009 - Oct 31, 2012)
●Dexcom G4 (Nov 1, 2012 - ???)

Diabetes is an Art, NOT a Science. You must master the control by skills and not by knowledge alone.

Cyborg

Cyborg

• 500 plus
  • 7,866 posts
I love to see some medical references on this topic...

JediSkipdogg

JediSkipdogg

• 500 plus
  • 8,761 posts
Do a google search for "Pancreas exhaustion" or "pancreas burnout" and you will get alot of hits from doctors stating that it's a cause of type 2 or type 1.5 diabeties.

●Police Dispatcher

Diabetes is an Art, NOT a Science. You must master the control by skills and not by knowledge alone.

Cyborg

Cyborg

• 500 plus
  • 7,866 posts
I did a search on both and found very little medical literature. The only medical literature I found, specified that sulfonylureas can lead to pancreas burnout or exhaustion. I have not been able to find any medical literature on pancreas burnout for any other reason. I was able to find some medical literature regarding type 2's showing antibodies and having their beta cells attacked.

HelenM

HelenM

• 500 plus
  • 1,029 posts
try beta cell failure type 2 diabetes, although you may have to sort the wheat from the chaff !

JasonSmithMT

JasonSmithMT

• 500 plus
  • 381 posts
It has been well demonstrated that it is fairly typical that beta cell function declines with time in type 2 diabetes. There are several theories about as to why.

This is the best article I could find from an online source that talks about some of the different theories:

http://jcem.endojour.../full/86/9/4047

Jason

Cyborg

Cyborg

• 500 plus
  • 7,866 posts

It has been well demonstrated that it is fairly typical that beta cell function declines with time in type 2 diabetes. There are several theories about as to why.

This is the best article I could find from an online source that talks about some of the different theories:

Jason

You de man! :top:

Thanks

• 500 plus
  • 286 posts
good article - a lot of ready, but it addresses a lot of things.

Thanks for finding it

gettingby

gettingby

• 500 plus
  • 10,036 posts

Jason

Thanks Jason. That is a very informative article.

:P 

~Cin~
Mom always says I'm special. Hmmm........wonder what she means by that?? LOL.
The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or touched, they must be felt with the heart.
~Helen Keller~

Cyborg

Cyborg

• 500 plus
  • 7,866 posts

Thanks Jason. That is a very informative article.

Jason is the literature king... :king:

Harold

Harold

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 6,164 posts
Interesting paper Jason. See it was copyrighted the same year I was dx'd. After reading the paper I feel lik a juggler tossing different ideas around. My overall impression is that type 2 starts long (years) before hyperglycemia appears. That the current level of diagnoses and treatment are totally inadequate and really nothing more than a bandaide approach. No it does not mean we should stop treating it the way we are, but that more is needed in reconizing it and treating earlier before hyperglycemia. We are currently still in the dark in understanding this desease and it's causes.

Funnygrl

Funnygrl

• 500 plus
  • 6,763 posts
Beta cell exhaustion is the medical term for it.

It is often the cause of type 2 diabetics becoming insulin dependant.

I had hyperinsulinemic hypoglycemia for 11 years before i had diabetes, so it's likely the cause of my diabetes as well, and makes classifying my type of diabetes hard, because the cause is similar to the cause of type 2, but not related to insulin resistance at all, but I was insulin deficient by the time I had diabetes.

JediSkipdogg

JediSkipdogg

• 500 plus
  • 8,761 posts
We all know what causes type 1 and that is easily classified. Simply put, it's something attacking the islet cells, so it's an immune diffiency disorder if you want to classify it that way.

As for type 2 and type 1.5, I think those could be broken down into many difference categories including...

Beta cell exhaustion
Lack of beta cell production to begin with (for ideal weight)
Lack of beta cells (for overweight)
Insulin resistance

I'm sure there could even be more causes for type 2 and 1.5, yet for some reason nobody has classified them all seperately.

●Police Dispatcher

JasonSmithMT

JasonSmithMT

• 500 plus
  • 381 posts

We all know what causes type 1 and that is easily classified. Simply put, it's something attacking the islet cells, so it's an immune diffiency disorder if you want to classify it that way.

Easily confused the young Jedi is ... there is a rare subtype of type 1 diabetes, type 1B, that is non-immune mediated. Type 1A being the more common immune mediated variety. This is some what controversial. Is it an unknown currently undetectable antibody, does the antibodies come and go too rapidly to detect, is it really a type 2 or secondary diabetes. Time (and some research of course) will tell but as of now the experts subdivide type 1 into 1A and 1B.

Jason

JediSkipdogg

JediSkipdogg

• 500 plus
  • 8,761 posts

Easily confused the young Jedi is ... there is a rare subtype of type 1 diabetes, type 1B, that is non-immune mediated. Type 1A being the more common immune mediated variety. This is some what controversial. Is it an unknown currently undetectable antibody, does the antibodies come and go too rapidly to detect, is it really a type 2 or secondary diabetes. Time (and some research of course) will tell but as of now the experts subdivide type 1 into 1A and 1B.

Jason

Maybe immune wasn't the word I was looking for. But type 1 is something killing the islet cells. I guess you could divide that up further though too. I just think that diabetes should either eliminate the type numbers, or do something. When someone has cancer do you say they have type 1 or type 76 cancer? No, you speak of the EXACT organ that has the cancer. Granted, in diabetes you can't do that, since it pretty much all involves the pancreas (unless you talk about insulin resistance in the cells accepting the insulin) but overall the numbers are way outdated. Heck, more outdated than the terminology of juvenile and adult onset.

Maybe it's just me, but diabetes needs to be divided more into what is causing each type, so that a cure can more easily be found. Will a cure for type 1 cure all type 1s? Will a cure for type 2 cure all type 2s? No on both, especially if a type 2 has insulin resistance and not lack of insulin production for beta cell exhaustion. Ok, I'm done.

●Police Dispatcher

JasonSmithMT

JasonSmithMT

• 500 plus
  • 381 posts

Maybe immune wasn't the word I was looking for. But type 1 is something killing the islet cells. I guess you could divide that up further though too. I just think that diabetes should either eliminate the type numbers, or do something. When someone has cancer do you say they have type 1 or type 76 cancer? No, you speak of the EXACT organ that has the cancer. Granted, in diabetes you can't do that, since it pretty much all involves the pancreas (unless you talk about insulin resistance in the cells accepting the insulin) but overall the numbers are way outdated. Heck, more outdated than the terminology of juvenile and adult onset.

Maybe it's just me, but diabetes needs to be divided more into what is causing each type, so that a cure can more easily be found. Will a cure for type 1 cure all type 1s? Will a cure for type 2 cure all type 2s? No on both, especially if a type 2 has insulin resistance and not lack of insulin production for beta cell exhaustion. Ok, I'm done.

Even though the number thing does sound a little outdated the current classification scheme (WHO and ADA) is based on "what is causing each type", that is the underlying pathology.

Jason

HelenM

HelenM

• 500 plus
  • 1,029 posts
(I'm confused because I thought I'd posted this half an hour ago so apologies if there is a double post)

I'm sure there could even be more causes for type 2 and 1.5, yet for some reason nobody has classified them all seperately.

You might like to read What’s in a Name
Latent autoimmune diabetes of adults, type 1.5, adult-onset, and type 1 diabetes
http://care.diabetes...t/full/26/2/536

RickLV

RickLV

• 500 plus
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

I did a search on both and found very little medical literature. The only medical literature I found, specified that sulfonylureas can lead to pancreas burnout or exhaustion. I have not been able to find any medical literature on pancreas burnout for any other reason. I was able to find some medical literature regarding type 2's showing antibodies and having their beta cells attacked.

For technical papers, etc., try this search engine:

http://scholar.google.com/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users