- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

am diabetic

am diabetic

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I am presently taking 500 mg of metformin 2x daily. One at dinner and one before breakfast.

My problem is am readings, 120-140. The rest of the day is good, as I usually hit the gym for aerobics ;and after just moving around, my readings are around 100-105.

My endo said, at my suggestion, to try taking all of the meds before bed.

Of course I am going to try this, but wondered if anyone has been through this and has any past experience in this area?

mg_2204

mg_2204

• 500 plus
  • 3,271 posts
Hello!

I'm on Metformin too, but it is the slow release form. I switched a while ago becaue I would suffer from headaches 24/7.

How do I take Metformin? I have tried many diff ways and what works for me is this : Halfway during my breakfast and halfway during my supper I take Metformin.

If I take Metformin on an empty stomach it doesn't agree with me. I end up bloated, and with terrible gas.

I read that Metformin works better taken along with food. You might want to check out this link about meds : http://www.drugs.com/ - Very useful link, and not only for Metformin.

I am surprised your doc told you to take all your meds at once, before bed. Won't you go low during the night??!

For T2s fasting sugars seem to be a common problem. It is certainly my problem! Although for the past few weeks fasting sugars have not been a problem. They are between 5 and 6.2 mmol/L (90 and 111 mg/dL for you).

Before bed, let's say 30 minutes before bed, I have a small protein. It seems to do the trick for me. I have a small piece of cheese with a small apple for example. I eat healthy all day and exercise but if I don't have my small protein before bed my fasting sugars will be higher.

Your readings during the day seem to be very good! :) And wow! Your A1C is 5.5.

Hope this helps you a bit.

The very best to you,

kgm0612

kgm0612

• 500 plus
  • 7,672 posts
Along with pumping, I also take Metformin 500mg twice a day. I take one with breakfast and one with dinner. I have been very fortunate in that I have NEVER had an stomach problems in the 3 years that I've been on them.

A friend of mine, Type 2, was taking all 3 of her Metformins before bed. I had never heard of that before. I read the label on her bottle and it clearly stated to "take 3 pills before bedtime".

Are your morning readings of 120-140 before you eat breakfast? If so, it could be that you have the dawn effect.

Karen

am diabetic

am diabetic

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Great info! Thank You

I wll try eating a small amount of protein before bed, I would have thought this would drive up my blood sugar, but I'll try it and see.

The am readings are before I eat anything, so it may be a dawn effect. I've never heard this terminology before, is this a common occurence for type 2's?

Thanks for the input
Bill

seacomp

seacomp

• 500 plus
  • 1,349 posts

Of course I am going to try this, but wondered if anyone has been through this and has any past experience in this area?

Metformin should be taken with meals for the best absorption. This is specified on the product insert for Glucophage (the branded metformin), but never seems to be mentioned on the generic writeups of metformin.
The difference in absorption is around 50%, so taking it with meals (or just after) makes a significant difference.

Penny

Penny

• 500 plus
  • 6,653 posts

Metformin should be taken with meals for the best absorption. This is specified on the product insert for Glucophage (the branded metformin), but never seems to be mentioned on the generic writeups of metformin.
The difference in absorption is around 50%, so taking it with meals (or just after) makes a significant difference.

My Metformin has it in big letters "Take with food". My doctor said to take one with each meal. The few times I did not take it with food, I paid for it with cramps and worse.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Love doesn't make the world go around, but it makes the ride worthwhile.

WilsonEvolution

WilsonEvolution

• 500 plus
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts
My bottle says take before bedtime. I still have high am readings. I think I will try taking it with my evening meal for a few days. What could it hurt, I already have diabetes.

Penny

Penny

• 500 plus
  • 6,653 posts

My bottle says take before bedtime. I still have high am readings. I think I will try taking it with my evening meal for a few days. What could it hurt, I already have diabetes.

That's a wise thing to do. I have done a lot of experimenting...you have to find what works for you. A few days doing things different isn't going to hurt you.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Love doesn't make the world go around, but it makes the ride worthwhile.

Jaclyn

Jaclyn

• 500 plus
  • 264 posts
I take Metformin 500g 2x a day with breakfast and dinner. I never had any side effects, with me the pills been great.

Jaclyn
Metformin 500mg 2x daily
A1c March 11.0
A1c May 7.9
A1c Jun 7.2
A1c Aug 5.1

Petruchio

Petruchio

• 500 plus
  • 929 posts
  • I am a:Type 2
I take 500mg at Breakfast and 750mg with Dinner. It is how I end my meal. No real problems . . . well . . . one minor one. For some reason I find I must stay away from open flames.:embarasse

Godisgood

Godisgood

• 500 plus
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts
Hi. Iwas on metformin 500 morning and night, but I was having high morning readings so my Doc increasted my night dosage to 1000 mg. metformin. It works well for me, so now on a total of 1500 mg. metformin and I am trying not to have any carbs in the evenings BUT IT'S HARD!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users