Air Bubble in Humalog Pen

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

TxTechKimmy

TxTechKimmy

• 500 plus
  • 108 posts
Maybe I just have the 'old school' mentality, but I found an air bubble in my Humalog pen this weekend. I suppose I still kinda freak out if I see a bubble and want it gone. However, I can't get the darn thing out. Have any of y'all ever experienced bubbles in your pen? I thought one of the advantages to the pen was no bubbles. :eek:
Kimberley
DX 1977
Age 37
www.setlovefree.com
I've lost my mind and need to get a new one.

poodlebone

poodlebone

• 500 plus
  • 4,960 posts

Maybe I just have the 'old school' mentality, but I found an air bubble in my Humalog pen this weekend. I suppose I still kinda freak out if I see a bubble and want it gone. However, I can't get the darn thing out. Have any of y'all ever experienced bubbles in your pen? I thought one of the advantages to the pen was no bubbles. :eek:

I don't remember getting any bubbles in my Humalog pens, and I used to leave the needle attached all the time. I think the literature tells you not to do that because air bubbles can form but I ignored that. I'd use 2 or 3 needles for the entire pen (300 units). I guess if you can't get it out, then you don't have to worry about it getting into you and messing up your dose! Have you tried tapping the pen against the edge of a desk/table/counter?
--
Liz
Type 1 dx 4/1987
Minimed Paradigm 723 Revel + CGMS
13mm Silhouettes + Sure-T infusion sets
Lifescan Ultra meters
Last A1c: 7/10: 5.4

jeggeman31

jeggeman31

• 500 plus
  • 2,307 posts
Is the bubble at the top near the part that the insulin comes out? I always had bubbles with my pen but I would dial it up to 2 or 3 and get it out. Strange, however like Liz said, if it won't come out then you should not have to worry about it getting into your and messing up your dose.
Jim
:egg:
Diagnosed April 1990
Pumping with my Omni Pod

Last A1C 10.5 ( May 2012 )
Diabetes & Endocrinology Center Of Ohio Website

The opinions expressed are mine alone and do not necessarily represent
those of my wife who runs our house and makes more important decisions
than I do

corwin

corwin

• 500 plus
  • 272 posts
I have bubbles in both my lantus pen and my novo pen very often. I gave up on trying to get it out. I just make sure that when I inject it's not close to the needle so it stays in the pen and not go in my body. I seems pretty safe to me. I also keep the needle attached to the pen for a while, usually for about 3 days.
T1 since March 8, 2006 :wavey:
Last A1C - 6.3
MDI Lantus and Novo
Proud father of 2 girls
Owner of idealchooser.com

TxTechKimmy

TxTechKimmy

• 500 plus
  • 108 posts
You can leave the needles attached and reuse them?? (Yes I am a newby pen user). :) I had no idea. I did try tapping it out, much the way I used to with my syringes, but the booger is stubborn.
Kimberley
DX 1977
Age 37
www.setlovefree.com

corwin

corwin

• 500 plus
  • 272 posts
Well to be fair, you shouldn't leave it attached and every endo I met recommended detaching the needle and geting a new one for each injection. Otherwise you are risking insulin leaking and of course infection. However I find it a hassle and reuse needles all the time. It seems like a low calculated risk to me but it's your call and the level of safty that you want, that should dictate what you do.
T1 since March 8, 2006 :wavey:
Last A1C - 6.3
MDI Lantus and Novo
Proud father of 2 girls
Owner of idealchooser.com

DeusXM

DeusXM

Grumpy Briton

• 500 plus
  • 5,943 posts
  • I am a:Type 1
What you have to do is shake the pen around a bit until the bubble dislodges and floats up to the top of the pen. Then do an airshot of about 4u and that should do the trick.
Want to know the symptoms of diabetes, or find out if you have diabetes? Click here
Don't understand a word or term used in a forum thread? Click here
Want to know if you can drink with diabetes? Click here and here

TxTechKimmy

TxTechKimmy

• 500 plus
  • 108 posts
Cool! Thanks for the advice on both accounts! Changing those needles is a pain. Ok..I mean it isn't THAT bad, but I'm lazy. :) I'll try that to get the bubble out.
Kimberley
DX 1977
Age 37
www.setlovefree.com

Gangrel

Gangrel

• 500 plus
  • 1,252 posts
I'll reuse the needles, but detach them and keep them in the case.

I find if the needle is on, and you tip the pen over, insulin tends to leak out!

beveykin

beveykin

• 500 plus
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
I try to rememver to change needles after every shot, but i din't always remeber.

If the air bubble is at the top try pushing it out 4-6 units should do it, if it's at the bottom of the pen I have always left it and never had a problem.

Simons

Simons

• 500 plus
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts
It is nice to hear that I am not the ony person who leaves the needle on their insulin pens. I usually use one needle per cartridge and have no problem with it.
I have been type 1, insulin dependent for 64 years and have been through all the different insulins and methods.
Simons

UpNorth

UpNorth

• 500 plus
  • 1,393 posts
There is a trick i've learned from fellow pump users that also work to remove bubbles from pen. hold your pen with the needle end up, no needle attached. do a violent throw move from up to down until the bubble is at the rubber thing, put a needle on, just so it is IN the airbubble and do a 1-2 unit airshot. Should do the trick :)
Posted Image

Type1 since october 2004.

MDI: Novorapid and Levemir with Novopen4

Main BG meter: Accu-Chek Compact Plus

rzrbks

rzrbks

• 500 plus
  • 4,671 posts
I don't worry about the bubble, it always moves to the back end of the pen and and never gets pushed out. I'm not about to waste any more insulin than I have to.

I use one needle per 3ml (300 units) on both my Lantus pen and my Novolog/NovoRapid injector.

I'm still working my way through a box of 100 that I got three years ago.:thumbsup:

All that being said, you have to do what makes you comfortable when it comes to needles and bubbles.
"I am wounded," he said, "wounded, and it will never heal."

Frodo to Samwise

Gangrel

Gangrel

• 500 plus
  • 1,252 posts
how can you guys do that? I find after 3 or 4 injections, a needle gets so dull it's like pushing a nail into me!

Or maybe I'm just a wuss now that i'm 30!

Penny

Penny

• 500 plus
  • 6,653 posts

how can you guys do that? I find after 3 or 4 injections, a needle gets so dull it's like pushing a nail into me!

Or maybe I'm just a wuss now that i'm 30!

My insurance "team guy" just got on me for not changing my needle every time, also for not changing my lancet when I test. I was using my pen needle for all the injections in one day, changing every morning.....3 to 5 times a day. I will make an effort to change the needle more, but it doesn't seem to get dull, I think I could probably use it for several days.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Love doesn't make the world go around, but it makes the ride worthwhile.

rzrbks

rzrbks

• 500 plus
  • 4,671 posts

Gangrel

Here's your answer

Macho, macho man (macho man)
I've got to be, a macho man
Macho, macho man
I've got to be a macho! Ow....

Macho, macho man
I've got to be, a macho man
Macho, macho man (yeah, yeah)
I've got to be a macho!

Frodo to Samwise

Penny

Penny

• 500 plus
  • 6,653 posts

Here's your answer

Honestly, I am not post padding, but.....:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Love doesn't make the world go around, but it makes the ride worthwhile.

rzrbks

rzrbks

• 500 plus
  • 4,671 posts

Penny

Originally Posted by rzrbks
Here's your answer

Oi, if someone makes a statement or asks a question that needs an obvious response.................well, I can hardly not respond and still be a good member of DF, can I now?

Frodo to Samwise

Penny

Penny

• 500 plus
  • 6,653 posts

Oi, if someone makes a statement or asks a question that needs an obvious response.................well, I can hardly not respond and still be a good member of DF, can I now?

I just keep picturing you singing with the Village People.:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

rzrbks

rzrbks

• 500 plus
  • 4,671 posts

I just keep picturing you singing with the Village People. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

1. You would not wish your worst enemy to be in the neighborhood when I was singing.

2. That is a side of the street I Do Not walk. As Biff Henderson, tech on the David Letterman Show, once put it.

I am a Permanently Pre-operational Transexual Lesbian

http://en.wikipedia..../Biff_Henderson

Frodo to Samwise

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users