- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

sassygem

sassygem

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
My first post - hope I'm doing this right.

Dx Type 2 - 3 yrs ago. From that time until about 2 months ago, I was on Metformin 500mg 3 x daily with meals. It worked really well for me. With the exception of my first morning/fasting glucose - my levels were good.

I was elated to find that on the Metformin I was finally able to lose some weight -- I had to work at it, but was seeing some real progress for a change.

Then approx 2 months ago, the doc changed me to Glumetza (extended release metformin) 1500mg taken first thing in the morning - to try to get on top of the morning highs.

My levels are good on Glumetza - though I still have a higher fasting level. I DO like that I don't have to remember pills with each meal. (I forgot to take them too many times).

I had thought that the extended release version would be even more helpful for encouraging weight loss but ... the weight loss has stopped - and in fact I have gained weight since starting Glumetza.

Is there a difference in the regular metformin and in the extended release variety that would account for the change? Have you heard of anyone else gaining weight on the extended release and losing on regular?

Thanks in advance for any input offered. As you can see I'm confused! :confused:

Sass

mg_2204

mg_2204

• Seniors
  • 3,271 posts
I've switched from reg Metformin to the SR (Slow Release) form. It is not called Glumetza though.

The reason for the switch was headaches 24/7. Sugars were fine, except for fasting sugars.

I must say fasting sugars have always been my main problem. Many T2s have problems with fasting sugars.

As far as weight I did experience a loss at the beginning (10 pounds perhaps) but Metformin gave me a hard time the first two weeks so... of course I lost weight because I spent all that time kneeling in front of the white porcelain.

Although Metformin has that effect on some people it is not meant as a weight loss medication. I find the Slow Release form does a great job at keeping sugars stable throughout most of the day. That stability does help though when it comes to dieting.

The very best to you!

Andy_nut

Andy_nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts
Did you ask to be moved over to the slow release version or was it prompted by your GP?

I was accidently moved onto it and my diabetes clinic told me they were the same as the normal ones and to take them in the same dose (3 x 500mg).

I would be interested in looking into the slow release but my GP is a pain in the backside and I see my clinic over 6-9 months.

Andy

mg_2204

mg_2204

• Seniors
  • 3,271 posts

Did you ask to be moved over to the slow release version or was it prompted by your GP?

After a few months on Metformin sugars were doing well but I was pleagued with constant headaches. It was then suggested I switch to the Slow Release kind. It was an instant 'cure' for my headaches. And my levels are much more constant (thus no more headaches).

Andy_nut

Andy_nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts
Looks like I will need to get a more pro-active GP at some point.

I am still reasonably new to this lot and had no real feedback! 13 months diagnosed and 3 visits to a GP or clinic. I have said this before but never got round to doing anything as there are no other local GPs I can go to. I have a clinic visit coming up in a month or two so I will discuss it with him.

Mister Q

Mister Q

• Members
  • 479 posts
I switched form the regular metformin to the slow release variety (glucophage XR) a few months back due to gastric problems, I have gained a little weight since then but thought that may have been down to starting gliclazide the month before the slow release metformin. The doc is very keen to keep me on metformin at the moment, its well tolerated by most folks and failry cheap.
"Two things are infinite: The universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."

Albert Einstein 1879 - 1955

sassygem

sassygem

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thank you all so much for the replies.

The doctor suggested the change to the extended release metformin to see if we could improve my first morning/fasting readings. Though the numbers did come down - the improvement on the extended release formula was only minimal.

I definitely know that metformin is not meant to be a weight loss product! I think I was finally able to (finally!) lose weight because the metformin took care of the insulin resistance.

The reason I suspect that the extended release metformin (Glumetza) might have been responsible for this new weight gain - is because the change to Glumetza was the ONLY change, prior to gaining.

I had thought that with a sustained level of metformin in my system (on the extended release) - the ability to enhance weight loss would be better - not worse.

I'm wondering if it might be something as simple as a change in fillers. With regular metformin I could only take the Pharm Science brand - due to a sensitivity with fillers in other brands.

I think I'm going to ask the doc if I can go back on regular metformin temporarily, and see if, indeed, I can start losing again.

Only bummer here is - I loved not having to remember to take a pill with each meal. *sigh*

Anyway - thanks again for all input ... it helps a lot to know I am not the only person struggling with T2.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users