m-cresol / other insulin ingredients

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

JasonJayhawk

JasonJayhawk

• 500 plus
  • 1,069 posts
I noticed m-cresol is in most types of insulin as a preservative.

Just for fun, I looked it up on Google. I don't like what I see! Am I looking up the right thing? It's considered a suspected carcinogen... among other unhealthy things. :dontknow:

I'm not one to be paranoid about this kind of thing, but maybe in twenty years, we'll be saying, "I can't believe we used that!" I had a teacher in high school who tells stories of how the chemistry teacher they had in high school used benzene to clean overhead transparencies, before it was a known carcinogen...

So what's your take on m-cresol?

BriOnH

BriOnH

• 500 plus
  • 2,607 posts
Don't know much about m-cresol (yet ;) ), but hope we don't look back in twenty years saying that! :D .

I found the addition of zinc in nph, which can cause hypounawareness really interesting as pointed out by Deus. I get sudden drops, that can be a little overwhelming at times with novolog, but my sugars are always above 80 mg/dl. I wonder if I supplement more zinc I can maybe not feel those swings as much.

Les

Les

• 500 plus
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
I react adversely to both m-cresol and phenol (both of which are in quite a few insulins, I believe in Levemir and perhaps Lantus, and perhaps NPH - altho I do not think they were in UL or L.)
I was on UL for YEARS, and had to get off of it due to its being discontinued.
I tried both Lantus and Levemir,and had adverse reactions to both.
I am now stuck with NPH, and am having allergic reactions to this also (perhaps also due to the protamine?),but at least I can still function (with Lantus and Levemir, after a wk, I could not even walk up stairs, or do much of anything, even tho my glucose levels were good, so it wasn't hi glucose levels that were causing that)
But right now there isn't much a choice with insulins, and if they all have those two preservatives in them, then we're stuck (unless you go on the pump ) Les

Dewey

Dewey

Ex-Moderator

• 500 plus
  • 7,332 posts

I noticed m-cresol is in most types of insulin as a preservative.

Just for fun, I looked it up on Google. I don't like what I see! Am I looking up the right thing? It's considered a suspected carcinogen... among other unhealthy things. :dontknow:

I'm not one to be paranoid about this kind of thing, but maybe in twenty years, we'll be saying, "I can't believe we used that!" I had a teacher in high school who tells stories of how the chemistry teacher they had in high school used benzene to clean overhead transparencies, before it was a known carcinogen...

So what's your take on m-cresol?

Sorry to drag this back up (for some reason, I didn't see it before). I too, share concerns about M-Cresol. I was under the false impression that it was not an ingredient in Novolog, but spoke with folks from the company who said it was in both Novolog & Levemir. :(

If memory serves, I didn't think it was in Humalog, but now, am not so sure.

My doctor did advise to keep infusion sets away from the breast region for safety's sake. I read the online compositional info. (on Apidra) and became very concerned to read about the outcomes of some of the (limited) studies they did on mice. :(

Again, this brings me back to my bit** against the FDA for allowing products with a carcinogenic/possible cellular altering ingredient to be released & used among the general population.

This brings me to my next thought...Is there an insulin (i.e. Humalog, or something) out there that doesn't have this m-cresol crap in it!?

ALL my love, Carwy & Best wishes for many healthy years to come! :love:
Saying prayers for him & all our friends, every day.
_______
“There are people who have money and people who are rich." - Coco Chanel
______

Type I for 31 years (Since Jan of 1982)
'Pumping' for 17 years (Since Feb. 1996)
Pumps used: MM 506,7,8,11 & 512, 722
Cozmore 1700 & 1800, Animas IR 1200, 1250, Animas Ping

Meters Used:
Many

JediSkipdogg

JediSkipdogg

• 500 plus
  • 8,753 posts
  • I am a:Type 1
Dewey, if the FDA only approved safe drugs then millions would die a day. What about all those drugs that claim a side effect may be "heart attack or stroke"?

Cylert which was a popular ADHD drug until it was banned in 2005 was linked to massive liver failure. However, it was never noted as a side effect, so now there is a class action lawsuit on it.

Heck, take Ritalin for example. It's considered a schedule 2 controlled substance and can cause major agression, depression, suicidial thoughts, outburts, and even sudden death. Yet it's still on the market and being heavily prescribed?

The ONLY non-stimulant ADHD drug on the market is Strattera. And that isn't widely prescribed yet.

I'm not disagreeing with you Dewey, just saying that the FDA has it's hands tied in lots of areas. You may say..."Well, if the FDA only approves safe drugs then that will make companies produce safe drugs." However, that is true, but then that also delays the process for creating some drugs and what about those that have no side effects of any drugs? Punish the vast majority (90+%) because less than 10% have a problem? It's really hard to say which to choose.

And for me, I have been on Insulin (Humalog, Novolog, NPH, R ---not sure what before those) for 24 years and have not had any problems come up, I say give me whatever you need to to keep me alive.
●Blue Ash, Ohio Police Dispatcher
●Type 1 diabetic since 11 months old
●Pumper since December of 2002
~Animas IR 1000 (Dec. 2002 - Jan. 2005)
~Animas IR 1200 (Jan. 2005 - Jan. 2009)
~Cozmo 1800 (Jan. 2009 - ?)
●Dexcom Seven+ (Aug 1, 2009 - Oct 31, 2012)
●Dexcom G4 (Nov 1, 2012 - ???)

Diabetes is an Art, NOT a Science. You must master the control by skills and not by knowledge alone.

Dewey

Dewey

Ex-Moderator

• 500 plus
  • 7,332 posts
I think what I'm mostly trying to say is that it would be nice for people to have options! If an insulin company made some insulins without preservatives & some with, it would offer options to those who are allergic (to preservatives), or those who just plain don't like them.

Remember, just cause it's worked for you (or even me) for xx amount of years, doesn't mean that someone else won't suffer a severe side effect, and it's Those people that I'm thinking of as well.

On the FDA front:

I understand that in some areas, the FDA's hands may be "tied." That said, since they are supposed to enforce the "safety" of meds & things, I personally think they should do a Better job & owe it to the people to do so. When folks have died from things like Rezulin & suffered from stuff like Vioxx, it makes me wonder just how many unsafe drugs they're willing to pass & how many lives they're willing to toy with (by releasing unsafe meds).

I don't believe that millions would die a day if an unsafe drug was Not released. I also know that sometimes, the very drugs that are approved for one condition, can (and in some cases, do) indeed cause a host of other problems....

These are my opinions & while I'm open-minded on most things, I am not clouded into thinking that our system is a safe & good one all the way around. There are many aspects and reasons behind why meds are released when they probably should be reviewed a little longer...One of which is money, and in my opinion, money talks a little too much (especially in America)...

ALL my love, Carwy & Best wishes for many healthy years to come! :love:
Saying prayers for him & all our friends, every day.
_______
“There are people who have money and people who are rich." - Coco Chanel
______

Type I for 31 years (Since Jan of 1982)
'Pumping' for 17 years (Since Feb. 1996)
Pumps used: MM 506,7,8,11 & 512, 722
Cozmore 1700 & 1800, Animas IR 1200, 1250, Animas Ping

Meters Used:
Many

lilituc

lilituc

• 500 plus
  • 709 posts
Huh, I suspected it was an ingredient in Novolog that was causing me dizziness, but I'm still not sure which one. Reading up on phenol and m-cresol doesn't help, though. And it looks like Humalog has almost the same ingredients (less phenol, though) so I don't know if switching would help.
Dx T2 3/2005
Correctly dx T1 (LADA) 11/2006
MM 522 w/NovoLog since 1/07
Previously on Actos, Starlix, Metformin ER, Lantus

Matt03

Matt03

• 500 plus
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Hello everyone.

I am new to this forum and am delighted to be a part of the discussions.

In particular, I want to ask your opinion/knowledge in regards to a particular question. It appears the question has already sparked some discussions. What do they put in insulin??!! I have been a diabetic for 19 (almost 20) years and have been on various types of insulin. Right now I am on Levemir and NovoRapid. Recently, I have developed an alergy to gluten (although not celiac I am worried it may develop into that). I was reading an "Alive" magazine article and stumbled across an article that talked about people who were more prone to getting celiac disease. It was saying anyone with an auto-immune disease (such as type 1 diabetes, rheumatoid arthritis and thyroid condition) are more likely to get celiac disease. There seems to be a connection to diabetes and celiac disease. I was wondering if anyone else out there has experienced this diagnosis (diabetics who are celiac)? If there are others then I wonder if insulin is the culprit. I want to research what goes into insulin as I am beginning to wonder if insulin may be to blame. THus, I was interested in your discussion as to what ingredients are found in insulin.

Cheers...

dgrilli

dgrilli

• 500 plus
  • 772 posts
I'm really interested in finding more if Humalog has this in it?

And as for the FDA they approved Rat Poison to be used for a sugar substitute after years being denied.

My opinion FDA takes bribes from Lobbyists and so on.

I don't trust them. Buyer Beware.

Its all about the money.
Animas One Touch Ping 12-03-2008
Animas 1250 Pump 7-24-2006
Animas 2020 Pump 9-04-2007
Medtronic Guardian REAL-Time 11-13-2007

DeusXM

DeusXM

Grumpy Briton

• 500 plus
  • 5,943 posts
  • I am a:Type 1

I want to research what goes into insulin as I am beginning to wonder if insulin may be to blame. THus, I was interested in your discussion as to what ingredients are found in insulin.

It's unlikely to be the insulin ingredients. As you said, there's a correlation between all autoimmune conditions. It's more likely that coeliac, thyroid problems and diabetes are caused by the same faulty gene sequence.

Evermont

Evermont

• 500 plus
  • 3,368 posts
I almost posted this article a few weeks ago...

Various Immune-related Diseases Have A Strong Genetic Overlap

ScienceDaily (Dec. 24, 2008) — A limited number of genes appear to be involved in the development of eleven immune-related diseases such as type 1 diabetes, coeliac disease, Crohn’s disease and rheumatoid arthritis. This has emerged from an analysis by geneticists at the University Medical Center Groningen of all globally conducted association studies of these diseases.

The analysis reveals that although the diseases have different manifestations, they also have a major, comparable origin. This is a significant advance in our understanding of why patients can have several diseases at the same time, and why they occur more frequently within families.
This resulted in a study of 11 immune-related diseases. It appears that 23 genes are involved in at least two immune-related diseases; each of these 23 genes is associated with at least two diseases.

In addition, further research revealed that the function of these genes overlaps. Many of these genes play a role in the development of the type of reaction by the immune system (Th1, Th2 or Th17) and which immune cells are activated as a result (T cells, B cells). This clearly revealed the way that the immune reaction is disturbed and that also provides possible reference frameworks for treatment (medication or perhaps vaccination).
(link)

So, I think you're on the right track Deus, only it's not quite as simple as "a gene sequence", it's many of them.

lorid

lorid

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
I wanted to just say that I believe the preservatives do contribute to a thyroid issue. I was put on hormone therapy for a separate issue (due to mold exposure) that triggered antibodies attacking my thyroid. I have noticed, because I am particularly sensitive to anything affecting my thyroid, that when I do give injections there is a slight decline in how well the medicine works ( I know because I get hives- the hives are a barometer of sorts as to how well my thyroid is working). Of course, the danger of no insulin is worse, but I believe that there is definitely a correlation, and more people need to be aware of this. We need to start demanding better options.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users