- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

lelggren

lelggren

• 500 plus
  • 812 posts
Hi :)

I have noticed lately that my legs fall asleep really easily. For example, my husband and I will come home from work and lay down for a little while. After like 10 minutes, my leg will fall asleep. I am a little worried because this didn't used to happen before, or at least not that quickly!

I was just wondering if anyone else has this happen, and if so, how often? and have you been given any advice on how to care for it?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Laura Anne :star:

"Happy Day! All is well!

Pumping with Paradigm 712 since November 17th, 2004

Type 1 since April, 1995

Penny

Penny

• 500 plus
  • 6,653 posts
My legs fall asleep if I sit more than 10 or 15 minutes at a time, unless I elevate them. But if I get up and move around every 10 minutes or so, it doesn't happen. Lying down, with my feet elevated, also makes them feel better if I get to the point that they do fall asleep. My doctor ordered a test that checked my circulation to my feet, and didn't see a problem. I thought it had something to do with Neuropathy, and sitting maybe was pinching the nerves to my legs.
Does this happen even when you are sleeping? Maybe you just need to elevate them a bit, when you lie down.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Love doesn't make the world go around, but it makes the ride worthwhile.

lelggren

lelggren

• 500 plus
  • 812 posts

My legs fall asleep if I sit more than 10 or 15 minutes at a time, unless I elevate them. But if I get up and move around every 10 minutes or so, it doesn't happen. Lying down, with my feet elevated, also makes them feel better if I get to the point that they do fall asleep. My doctor ordered a test that checked my circulation to my feet, and didn't see a problem. I thought it had something to do with Neuropathy, and sitting maybe was pinching the nerves to my legs.
Does this happen even when you are sleeping? Maybe you just need to elevate them a bit, when you lie down.

That is why I was nervous about it. I didn't want it to be neuropathy. I had read that a symptom of it was that your legs get that tingly, falling-asleep feeling. I have never had my circulation tested. I think I will ask about that. I had really terrible, out of control bg's for a lot of years, so I am not sure if this is a result of that. I will try elevating them though.

"Happy Day! All is well!

Type 1 since April, 1995

archimeech

archimeech

• 500 plus
  • 1,514 posts
Welcome to the new world of Neuropathy. I now have to be careful how I sleep due to my legs and my arms falling asleep. One night I woke up in the middle of the night and my arms were so numb that I couldn't move them. They were totally asleep and I was pretty much incapacitated.
The only way to manage diabetes is to CURE it...
Diabetes since December, 1983
Meds: Humalog/Pump since 1998, Synthroid 200mcg, Zetia 10mg, Altace 10mg, Prevacid 60mg, Zoloft 150 mg, Xyzal, Benfotiamine 600mg, 1-a-day multivitamin, Aspirin 325 mg, Garlic-geltab 4,000mg, methylcel. fiber therapy 2,000mg(for cholesterol) So, what's in your lunchbox? :1eye:

Funding JDRF to get rid of diabetes is like funding the Mafia to get rid of organized crime

Penny

Penny

• 500 plus
  • 6,653 posts

Welcome to the new world of Neuropathy. I now have to be careful how I sleep due to my legs and my arms falling asleep. One night I woke up in the middle of the night and my arms were so numb that I couldn't move them. They were totally asleep and I was pretty much incapacitated.

I had that happen one time, and now I have nightmares about it!:frown: My telephone was ringing, and I could not get out of bed to answer it. I finally rolled out and fell hard on the floor. Of course it was a telemarketer, and not someone with an emergency like I was worried about! But, I usually wake before it gets that bad, and I am usually lying on my arms when it does.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Love doesn't make the world go around, but it makes the ride worthwhile.

lelggren

lelggren

• 500 plus
  • 812 posts
I have had instances when I have woken up with my lower arms and hands being a little bit swollen, and that tingley falling asleep feeling, but not as often as my legs. I am not sure if I am just sleeping on them wrong or what, but usually flexing and relaxing my hand makes it go back to normal.

"Happy Day! All is well!

Type 1 since April, 1995

Penny

Penny

• 500 plus
  • 6,653 posts

That is why I was nervous about it. I didn't want it to be neuropathy. I had read that a symptom of it was that your legs get that tingly, falling-asleep feeling. I have never had my circulation tested. I think I will ask about that. I had really terrible, out of control bg's for a lot of years, so I am not sure if this is a result of that. I will try elevating them though.

The test is easy, they just inject something into your veins and follow it through your body. I only started having some neuropathy in the last year or so. A little in the thumb and index finger on one hand (that only happens when I am high), and quite a bit in one foot that comes and goes. I am not sure the leg thing is the same thing as it feels different from the stuff in my foot and hand.

TxTechKimmy

TxTechKimmy

• 500 plus
  • 108 posts
Could be a neuropathy *thing* or a circulation issue. I suffer from pretty advanced neuropathy, but the circulation in my legs is fine according to my endo. I suffer quite a bit from my legs falling asleep, especially when I lie down.
Kimberley
DX 1977
Age 37
www.setlovefree.com
I've lost my mind and need to get a new one.

lelggren

lelggren

• 500 plus
  • 812 posts
At what point are you supposed to bring up the issue to your doc? It is not so bad to the point that it is making life horrible, but it is happening more often.

"Happy Day! All is well!

Type 1 since April, 1995

TxTechKimmy

TxTechKimmy

• 500 plus
  • 108 posts
You may just give them a call or mention it the next time you go in for an appointment. You probably have nothing to worry about, but the sooner you let the doc know, the sooner they can do something to help slow it down. Trust me, you don't want it to the point at which I have it now. Not fun. Unless you enjoy the sensation of cactus needles embedded in your feet, while a knife is twisting and they are on fire all at the same time. :)
Kimberley
DX 1977
Age 37
www.setlovefree.com
I've lost my mind and need to get a new one.

Keezheekoni

Keezheekoni

• 500 plus
  • 3,107 posts
When my legs started falling asleep after putting them up for awhile, I let my doctor know right away. For me, it was just a case of restless leg syndrome, but she did say that rls can be an early sign of neuropathy happening and to watch my numbers more carefully.

Rikki

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users