- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

Cain

Cain

• 500 plus
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
I was recently diagnosed and have been taking metformin. If I regulate my diet and get my weight in check, can you get off of metformin?

Jaclyn

Jaclyn

• 500 plus
  • 264 posts
My Dr and dietican told me that if I get my A1c down and lose the weight I can get off meds and do diet and exercise only. But thats gona be some time so I dont really think about it till I get closer. Get A1c done again on the 10th, last A1c was 7.2 What was your A1c?
Metformin 500mg 2x daily
A1c March 11.0
A1c May 7.9
A1c Jun 7.2
A1c Aug 5.1

Lynpenny

Lynpenny

• 500 plus
  • 131 posts
my hubby is close to getting off metformin. He is down to 250 mg twice a day. He was caught early so maybe he can.
I on the other hand am just glad to be on metformin. I was on insulin for 4 months after bypass surgery. That was no fun. I'm back on metformin and am glad about that. The stomach touble only lasted one day with me so it is so much better than taking the shots.
Lyn
metformin 1000 2x a day,atenolol 25 mg., asprin 81 mg, zocor 40 mg., lyrica 50 mg. 4x a day, lantus 13 units.

7/08
A1C 5.7
Total Chol 122
LDL 57
HDL 53
Try 57

kgm0612

kgm0612

• 500 plus
  • 7,672 posts
It certainly is! I have a friend who was dx'd a type 2 three years ago. He was put on Metformin and told to watch his diet and to exercise. In less than a year, he had lost 70lbs and no longer needed to take any meds. He followed a low-carb diet but really didn't exercise other than doing work around his yard and house.

Karen

Cain

Cain

• 500 plus
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
Thanks for the information. This really gives me something to shoot for.

So how do they decide to gradually step down your dosage? Anything particular they look for?

Roy Gardiner

Roy Gardiner

• 500 plus
  • 134 posts
I am only about 6 weeks ahead of you following my own diagnosis, but even in that short time I have found BGs to be amazingly sensitive to what one eats.

My office lunch, for instance, may now consist of a big bowl of salad :king: not too much problem; if I eat oranges for pudding, :evil: happens. So I don't :(

But after just a short time I've got them mostly in the safe zone with no meds. Exercise is a biggie too, but from your first post you know all about that.

Meds free may well be possible.

Jaclyn

Jaclyn

• 500 plus
  • 264 posts

Thanks for the information. This really gives me something to shoot for.

So how do they decide to gradually step down your dosage? Anything particular they look for?

My Dr told me that if I get my A1c between 4.2-6.0 and lose the weight I can get off the meds. My last A1c was 7.2. Im on 1000 met a day. I dont know if well have to be winged off or just get streight off the meds. next A1c in 9 days!
Metformin 500mg 2x daily
A1c March 11.0
A1c May 7.9
A1c Jun 7.2
A1c Aug 5.1

Carpe Diem

Carpe Diem

• 500 plus
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts
Absolutely! I was on Metformin for about three months, but after controlling my diet (through low-carbing) I was able to come off of it. Now I still get high BGs if I eat high carb foods, but can keep my level at anywhere from the mid-80s to the 110s, even post-prandial, as long as I watch what I eat (e.g., my fasting level this morning was 87).

Note, however, that I haven't been diagnosed with Type 2. Rather, I have "Impaired glucose tolerance," in which my blood sugar rises way too high only after eating carby food. I suppose it's all part of the same disease, just a very early stage...

Good luck! If you low carb, you probably have a good chance of getting rid of the Metformin (as long as you're not too far along in the disease, that is...).

DonnieD

DonnieD

• 500 plus
  • 149 posts
I'm OK with Metformin, I have had no side affects whatsoever, and I have embraced it as an equal partner with diet and excercise ..... and since diabetes is a progressive disease, control will be harder as time goes on.

I'll continue to follow my doctors directions, but right now I'm heading in the right direction (fasting bg today was 88 :D ) and I'm not anxious to make any changes.
diagnosed 4/06
Metformin 1500 mg
April 06 A1c 9.9
July 06 A1c 7.3
Oct 06 A1c 6.5
Jan 07 A1c 6.4
Apr 07 A1c 6.3
Jul 07 A1c 6.2
Oct 07 A1c 6.2
Jan 08 A1c 6.5
April 08 A1c 6.3
July 08 A1c 6.1
Oct 08 A1c 6.1
Jan 08 A1c 6.4
April 09 A1c 6.4
July 09 A1c 6.1
Oct 09 A1c 6.1
Jan 10 A1c 6.1
Apr 10 A1c 6.1
Jully 10 A1c 6.1
Oct 10 A1c 6.2

Jaclyn

Jaclyn

• 500 plus
  • 264 posts
Same Donny, I love Metformin, Never had 1 side effect:whistling
Metformin 500mg 2x daily
A1c March 11.0
A1c May 7.9
A1c Jun 7.2
A1c Aug 5.1

Carpe Diem

Carpe Diem

• 500 plus
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts
Even though I'm now off of Metformin, it didn't give me any problems when I took it.

Interesting point - I've read someplace where some advocate taking Metformin as a "life-extension" type drug, even for non-diabetics.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users