Cost of Levemir

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

TxTechKimmy

TxTechKimmy

• 500 plus
  • 108 posts
Hi y'all...does anyone know approximately how much a Levemir pen costs? My insurance won't cover it and up until now, I've received freebies from my endo.
Kimberley
DX 1977
Age 37
www.setlovefree.com
I've lost my mind and need to get a new one.

JasonJayhawk

JasonJayhawk

• 500 plus
  • 1,069 posts
It's about $80/vial, depending on where you go, and your location. Costco and Sam's Club generally has the best pharmacy prices, and you DO NOT need to be a member to use their pharmacy. (When you enter, just tell them you're there for the pharmacy, and you don't need to show a membership card). It's the law.

You can get a guesstimate at this site, http://yourrxcard.ag...rugpricing.aspx , where I think they might even have a feature to enter your zip code to get local price comparisons. Of course, you can call any pharmacy and ask for the price, as price shopping with drugs is very common now. It's amazing how a 2 minute drive to a different pharmacy can save you a bundle of money.

My insurance company doesn't cover it yet, either -- just Lantus, which is priced about $3/vial lower than Levemir. I'm sure things will change in 6-12 months, once the drug is seen as useful.

If you want the FLEXPEN, you can expect to pay about $145 for a box of five pens (1500 units), compared to $80 for a vial (1000 units). You can decide which is a better deal. I like vials because when I'm sleepy, I might accidentally inject with the wrong pen, despite the color coding... so I use vials for my basal stuff!

TxTechKimmy

TxTechKimmy

• 500 plus
  • 108 posts
Great info Jason..thanks so much..that helps!
Kimberley
DX 1977
Age 37
www.setlovefree.com

TxTechKimmy

TxTechKimmy

• 500 plus
  • 108 posts
Jason..this website is awesome! Thank you!
Kimberley
DX 1977
Age 37
www.setlovefree.com

Dr Nolan Ashman

Dr Nolan Ashman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Have had type II for 20 years, treated with diet and oral meds, glucophage and avandia. On advice of new internal med doctor, removed both oral meds and replaced with Levemir pens. The oral meds had compromised my kidneys and left me with 50 % use. Have been on Levermir pens for four months now and I'm on my last pen 250 units. Insurance will not go for the pens so I will be switching to vials in mid July. Checked with pharmacist on price, out of pocket; for five pens @ 250 units each in package, over $1100.00. Insurance will go the price of levemir vials.
Kidneys are up 10% and I feel great. Thought the use of insulin was the last option but its just the opposite. Glucose level is easier to manage than in the past 20 years.:)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users