Fasting & HbA1c test

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

June91

June91

• Seniors
  • 611 posts
I've had a huge fight over the phone with a lab technician this afternoon. She wants me to come in at 7 am to have my blood taken for HbA1c (and nothing else) so I said I'd be in later as it's really not convenient for me to come in before work. I tried to explain that fasting doesn't come into the equation as it is a three-month average but she turned nasty and patronising. I remember someone on the forum posting that they work as a phlebotomist, please tell me I'm right so I can quote you :nurse:

JasonSmithMT

JasonSmithMT

• Members
  • 381 posts
You are right you don't need to be fasting if all they are doing is a HbA1C level.

Jason

Keezheekoni

Keezheekoni

• Seniors
  • 3,107 posts
No fasting is needed for an HbA1c test. :)
Posted Image
Rikki @--'--,--'--
Diagnosed in 1989
A1c Really bad I'm not telling til it's better! - Apr 2010

Pumping with my Medtronic 722
Every time you Can Has, God kills a LOLcat.

My Blog

Posted ImagePosted Image

JasonJayhawk

JasonJayhawk

• Seniors
  • 1,069 posts

I remember someone on the forum posting that they work as a phlebotomist, please tell me I'm right so I can quote you :nurse:

Even better....which lab are you going to? You might be able to get information right from the diagnostic lab's website (such as questdiagnostics.com). The person you spoke with is probably confused with the glucose challenge tests that they give for diabetes.

Cyborg

Cyborg

• Seniors
  • 7,866 posts
When I get written up for just an A1c test, it doesn't specify fasting. When they do a full work-up, it does...

spike

spike

Banned

• Banned
  • 3,329 posts

I've had a huge fight over the phone with a lab technician this afternoon. She wants me to come in at 7 am to have my blood taken for HbA1c (and nothing else) so I said I'd be in later as it's really not convenient for me to come in before work. I tried to explain that fasting doesn't come into the equation as it is a three-month average but she turned nasty and patronising. I remember someone on the forum posting that they work as a phlebotomist, please tell me I'm right so I can quote you :nurse:

You are absolutely right! No need to fast for an A1c.
T1 DM since '78
MM Pumper since '96
Current Pump: Blue MM 522

george

george

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Well. you are absolutely right, there is no need to be fasting for an A1C test. However i have found over the years that i always have the same problem with you and most of the times they become aggressive and patronising. Unfortunately it is ignorance right there where you expect them to be educated on what they are doing. For a couple of years i do the following as i have not the stomach to either argue or educate them. I usually find it convenient to do the test early afternoon, so when told it is not possible as i must be fasting i just say i am a very laty riser and i will come straight from bed without taking breakfast. It always works

gettingby

gettingby

• Seniors
  • 10,039 posts
The only time I ever fast is for my yearly full panel. I've never been told to fast for an A1C.

:P 

~Cin~
Mom always says I'm special. Hmmm........wonder what she means by that?? LOL.
The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or touched, they must be felt with the heart.
~Helen Keller~

camjen1

camjen1

• Seniors
  • 3,658 posts
You might have other tests ordered that perhaps you don't know about. I would call the lab and make sure the A1c is the only test. Personally, I have never had just my A1c done. If there going to haul you in for bloodwork then they might as well do the whole kit and kaboodle (did I just say that?).

**Edit** Just realized the time and date on this thread and was wondering where I have been.
~Sandi~
Pumping for almost 6 years
MM Purple 722 with Humalog
Symlin

Just because I've been on df for a whole day doesn't mean I'm ADDICTED... my chair is just COMFY...

meloxicam

meloxicam

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
The HbA1c (glycated haemoglobin) test does not require you to fast. The test is a measure of your average blood glucose concentration. Haemoglobin is reactive and glucose binds to it irreversibly. The more glucose you have in your blood the more A1c you will have. usually it gives a 6 month overview of your glucose level control. Its a method for doctors to spot diabetic cheaters - those that only take their meds the day before going to their doctors and for dosage control . the correct tube for the blood collection is an EDTA (pink/purple vacutainer tube) and around 1.0ml is needed.

References

3 years college & 3 years university 2:1 BSc biomedical science
1 year NHS Lab experience

blufloyd

blufloyd

• Seniors
  • 1,314 posts
  • I am a:Type 1
Well if they are bozo goofuses like the lab that tests my A1C perhaps they reverse calculate your A1C from your fasting sugar. Not that my lab actually does anything that un professional and fraudulent but I suspect that as A1C are always correlated to my fasting sugar that day. your results may vary. I was a lab guy for a few years.

Also my A1C test is bundles in a lipid profile thing which means fasting.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users