- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

dwdfree2beme

dwdfree2beme

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Some times after I eat meals depending on what I eat I'll be sitting at home or even at the doctors office with my daughter and I'll fall asleep. My kids say mom are you asleep? I am I can't explain it. I'm sure It's because my diet is a little carb high that meal.

Cyborg

Cyborg

• 500 plus
  • 7,866 posts
Narcolepsy

duck

duck

• 500 plus
  • 6,671 posts
Yeah, probably the carbs. And in my experience, if I am sleepy after a meal, I am high as a kite. You should test your blood sugars to confirm your suspicions, it's about the only way to really be sure.

duck

duck

• 500 plus
  • 6,671 posts

Narcolepsy

She didn't say she had the shakes real bad.
/joke

MamaCat

MamaCat

• Validating
  • 151 posts
Yeah, it would be good to test your bG before you eat and then 2 hours afterward. Sometimes, too, even if your bG is not too high after a meal, it still may make you sleepy if it has moved up a lot from your pre-meal bG.

On a different line of thought, do you snore? Do you feel sleepy whenever you sit down and get still...or watch TV...or stop at an extended traffic light?

dwdfree2beme

dwdfree2beme

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
It only happens when I eat a big meal and a carb high meal. My bg will be 108 bf i eat and it will be in the 200's sometimes after I eat. The doctor is running out of options he may have to go to insulin next.
Thanks

Cyborg

Cyborg

• 500 plus
  • 7,866 posts
Snoring, recent weight gain/loss, high blood pressure, heart disease, and depression are just a couple things that can cause a sleep disorder.

clee

clee

• 500 plus
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Snoring, recent weight gain/loss, high blood pressure, heart disease, and depression are just a couple things that can cause a sleep disorder.

I agree Cyborg....possibly sleep apnea.

clee
:elefant:

rzrbks

rzrbks

• 500 plus
  • 4,673 posts
  • LocationHogwarts, Hobbiton, Galactic Milieu
  • I am a:Type 1.5
I would indeed check B/G if I were you. I know that high B/G causes me to go to sleep.

When I feel an uncalled for nap coming on, I check B/G and quiote often it is high.
"I am wounded," he said, "wounded, and it will never heal."

Frodo to Samwise

MamaCat

MamaCat

• Validating
  • 151 posts

It only happens when I eat a big meal and a carb high meal. My bg will be 108 bf i eat and it will be in the 200's sometimes after I eat.

Well, I was thinking it might be sleep apnea, too. But, guess what, you just answered your own question: big/high-carb meals send your bGs high. And, that's right, high bGs WILL make you sleepy.

The doctor is running out of options he may have to go to insulin next.

Be honest with yourself: Type 2s often con themselves by privately thinking, "oh, if I could just take insulin then I could eat whatever/whenever I wanted..." Sorry, wrong answer! Insulin will make you gain weight, in fact, pack it on, even if you're not using it as a crutch to eat. And taking insulin further complicates the side effects of the disease, your management of the disease, and your whole lifestyle! So, if this is in the back of your mind, get rid of the idea; don't put this monkey on your doctor's back. Just start scooting back from the table a little sooner and lay off so many carbs at one sitting! Test your bGs and eat in moderation. You may be able to avoid taking insulin, and that should be one of your goals!

Hey, we're all sorry we're diabetic, but if we want to feel our best and live through it, we have to "step up to the plate," not clean it! Feel free to be yourself, but with a little moderation, please, for your own well-being! Count your carbs (be honest when you do) before you eat them. Then eat half of that high-carb meal that sends you from a great 108 to a rotten 200+. You'll feel better and will stop nodding off. And, you'll probably be able to avoid taking insulin. You lucky duck! :proud:

judyblue

judyblue

• 500 plus
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
MamaCat, could you be a little more direct with your answer????

Actually, that is what I LOVE about this board. I adore how so many of the members here help to set us all straight and to live honestly with this disease. Great advice. And yes, I remember having extreme fatigue when my blood sugars were out of control and falling asleep in places I never dreamed of falling asleep.

Instead of eating all those carbs, eat less and then get active after a meal. Keeps you awake and works off the carbs you just ate. Never lay down after eating...get up and move, clean up, put things away, do something!....one of my new rules.
Diagnosed Gestational Diabetes 1992, Reactive Hypoglycemia 1993, Pre-diabetic 2006
Treatment: Metformin (850 mg/day), diet (5 small meals/day) and exercise

Cyborg

Cyborg

• 500 plus
  • 7,866 posts

Be honest with yourself: Type 2s often con themselves by privately thinking, "oh, if I could just take insulin then I could eat whatever/whenever I wanted..." Sorry, wrong answer! Insulin will make you gain weight, in fact, pack it on, even if you're not using it as a crutch to eat. And taking insulin further complicates the side effects of the disease, your management of the disease, and your whole lifestyle! So, if this is in the back of your mind, get rid of the idea; don't put this monkey on your doctor's back.

If you need insulin, you should take it as recommended by your doctor. Insulin is not evil. In a non-diabetic person, insulin is produced as needed. The insulin helps the glucose to be used by the cells in your body and most importantly, your brain. Yes insulin is known as the "fat drug", but insulin doesn't cause weight gain. Weight gain is due to consuming too many calories. Yes, you can lose weight by not taking your insulin (when needed), but that's like playing Russian roulette.

Stewpot

Stewpot

• 500 plus
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Hey, we're all sorry we're diabetic, but if we want to feel our best and live through it, we have to "step up to the plate," not clean it! Feel free to be yourself, but with a little moderation, please, for your own well-being! Count your carbs (be honest when you do) before you eat them. Then eat half of that high-carb meal that sends you from a great 108 to a rotten 200+. You'll feel better and will stop nodding off. And, you'll probably be able to avoid taking insulin. You lucky duck! :proud:

That is such sensible advice.

As a type 2 your body is likely to already be saturated with insulin because it has become resistant to its effect.

Insulin is a powerful hormone and has effects other than glucose transport. Like any hormone an excess is not good for you.

The last thing you need is more insulin! Cut the source of the glucose instead - that's predominantly carbs - while your pancreas is still working.

There is a school of thought that there are "good" and "bad" carbs. Just so you know, there is another school of thought that doesn't recognise that distinction.

Good luck!
:egg:
I am not a qualified medical practicioner therefore any of my ideas may be freely mocked and should under no account be taken any notice of.
Last 2 weeks BG: Average 4.4 (79) Max 5.3 (95) Lowest 3.5 (63) Std Deviation 0.4 (7)
My doctor thought diabetes was controlled by a low fat balanced diet and statins wonder drugs. :stupid:

JediSkipdogg

JediSkipdogg

• 500 plus
  • 8,761 posts
  • I am a:Type 1
I can tell you it is most likely from running high as I do that sometimes too. I'll eat dinner, and be so tired from my day and even more tired from running high that I lay down and sleep for 2 hours. Then I wake up to find my BG is around 300 mg/dl. And it happens probably 90% of the time that I take a mid-day/early evening nap.

●Police Dispatcher
●Type 1 diabetic since 11 months old
●Pumper since December of 2002
~Animas IR 1000 (Dec. 2002 - Jan. 2005)
~Animas IR 1200 (Jan. 2005 - Jan. 2009)
~Cozmo 1800 (Jan. 2009 - ?)
●Dexcom Seven+ (Aug 1, 2009 - Oct 31, 2012)
●Dexcom G4 (Nov 1, 2012 - ???)

Diabetes is an Art, NOT a Science. You must master the control by skills and not by knowledge alone.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users