Maltodextrin

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

sandyhandz

sandyhandz

• 500 plus
  • 103 posts
So many artificial sweeteners have maltodextrin, but they don't list the amount. Even the sugar-free popsicles.

How bad is this ingredient, despite the minute quantity added?

My husband HATES maltodextrin and lectures me every time I try to eat something that lists it in the ingredients.

dgrilli

dgrilli

• 500 plus
  • 772 posts
This Maltodextrin sounds like something out of a test tube haha, I think I will have a Peptide Sandwich. Reminds me of a Star Trek episode when Data was Dreaming and they were drinking something out of the heads of people with straws.

I wonder how bad it would be just to have a little of Organic Sugar from real Sugar Cane. I put that on my oatmeal. Only when I'm good
Animas One Touch Ping 12-03-2008
Animas 1250 Pump 7-24-2006
Animas 2020 Pump 9-04-2007
Medtronic Guardian REAL-Time 11-13-2007

sandyhandz

sandyhandz

• 500 plus
  • 103 posts
Sometimes I think the "cane juice" is a lot safer than all this other artificial crap.

The other day I bought a "sugar-free" pound cake. 17g CHO per slice. The regular, sugar pound cake was 18g CHO per slice. The sugar-free one shot my sugars up anyways. I think I would have been better off with the regular sugar loaf.

kiwi

kiwi

• 500 plus
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
Maltodextrose is a low glycemic index sugar. I look for this ingredient in sports drinks, gels etc as it works very well when exercising. It is one of the better refined sugars.
Kiwi.

pooky

pooky

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Maltodextrose is a low glycemic index sugar. I look for this ingredient in sports drinks, gels etc as it works very well when exercising. It is one of the better refined sugars.

According to all my internet research maltodextrin does not look suitable for diabetics. According to the Grain Processing Corporation who make it-
"Diabetics should follow the advice of their physicians. MALTRIN® maltodextrin’s glycemic index should be considered metabolically equivalent to glucose (dextrose)."

See [url]http://www.grainprocessing.com/food/malinfo.html[/url]

most sites I have visited list the GI for maltodetrin as equal or slightly higher than Glucose.

See [url]http://optimalhealth.cia.com.au/gi17.html[/url]

Sorry

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users