Medco Insulin Co-Pay Skyrocketing

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

Just_Plain_John

Just_Plain_John

• 500 plus
  • 177 posts
Does anyone have problems with Medco's prescription drug program ? My co-pays for Lantus are now costing MORE than the "maximum payment" listed for the most expensive drug level ?!?!

It's not written down in any of my UHC group plan info, and certainly not on anything I signed...and currently I can't get in touch with them.

Anyone else have similar sky-high copays ?

I understand about agreements with certain manufacturers, and that those products have lower prices...I'd just like to get them to abide by their pricing agreement...and I can't currently do without the Lantus (pumping soon, but not yet !).

Any suggestions ?

Clint

Clint

• 500 plus
  • 631 posts
I pay $30 for my lantus...
T1 since 5/99 - new MM 722 & CGMS (hopefully) on the way
Last A1C - 9

jen_slc

jen_slc

• 500 plus
  • 1,039 posts
Do you do the 3-month mail order program? Could it be that you use Lantus cartridge pens?

I use vials and participate in the mail order program, and so far my Lantus has cost me $46 for 3 vials, which lasts me 3 months. I need to refill that prescription soon so I hope they haven't changed anything!

I'm looking on their website right now and assuming you use 1 vial per month, it costs $46.32 for a 90 day supply of Lantus via mail order, and $25.00 for a 30 day supply via local pharmacy. 1 pack of Lantus Cartridges (3ml x 5) costs $94.37/3 months by mail order and $35.02/month by local pharmacy.
T1 20 years, on Lantus, Apidra and Regular.

"Nothing shocks me. I'm a scientist."

notme

notme

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 13,196 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
  • I am a:Type 1
John unfortunately it is not Medco, but the contract your insurance company has with Medco. I had the same thing happen last year. The problem was that the insurance company renegotiated the contract and my co-pay increased. I would contact your employer or your spouses employer and find out what is up. You should have the same co-pay that you signed up for at open enrollement.
maxwellsmiles1.jpg

Nancy

“I don't expect everything to be handed to me. Just set it down anywhere.”.

diagnosed type 1 October 1986
currently using Medtronic MiniMed
Revel 723 with CGMS
CLEAR [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

JasonJayhawk

JasonJayhawk

• 500 plus
  • 1,069 posts
I had Medco last year, and it was $50 for a 3-month supply.

The company I was with changed their contract for this year, changing the cost to be 50% of their cost (about $120 for a 3-month supply). For test strips and the rest of my insulin, and family medications, it was equivalent to about $4K pay cut, so I quit to finish my Master's degree. :ridinghor

It's your company's fault -- not Medco. Medco does the service, but they don't decide the prices.

kgm0612

kgm0612

• 500 plus
  • 7,672 posts
I also have Medco under United Health. I purchase my test strips and pump supplies through Focus Pharmacy. They accept the 80% as full payment. They do not bill you the 20% co-pay.

I was paying a $12 co-pay for my vials of Novolog. It has now dropped down to $5 for two vials.

Karen

Lynne1

Lynne1

• 500 plus
  • 788 posts

I also have Medco under United Health. I purchase my test strips and pump supplies through Focus Pharmacy. They accept the 80% as full payment. They do not bill you the 20% co-pay.

I was paying a $12 co-pay for my vials of Novolog. It has now dropped down to $5 for two vials.

Karen

Thanks for the info. I use Medco now and I'm going to call Focus asap!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users