Photo

Old Pumps vs. New - Reliability, etc.

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

Poll: Which pumps (out of those you've used) have you found to be most reliable? (16 member(s) have cast votes)

Which pumps (out of those you've used) have you found to be most reliable?

1. MiniMed 507/508 (4 votes [25.00%])

Percentage of vote: 25.00%

2. MiniMed x11/x12/x15/x22 (could be 5 or 7) (4 votes [25.00%])

Percentage of vote: 25.00%

3. Animas R1000/IR1000 (1 votes [6.25%])

Percentage of vote: 6.25%

4. Animas IR1200/1250 (2 votes [12.50%])

Percentage of vote: 12.50%

5. Disetronic (any model) (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

6. Deltec/Smiths Medical (pre-Cozmonitor) (2 votes [12.50%])

Percentage of vote: 12.50%

7. Deltec/Smiths Medical Cozmore with Cozmonitor (3 votes [18.75%])

Percentage of vote: 18.75%

Vote Guests cannot vote

Dewey

Dewey

Ex-Moderator

• 500 plus
  • 7,332 posts
Please Read Before voting!

We were in chat (for those who missed it) and were talking about reliability of old pumps vs. new. It seemed that for the most part, some of the older pumps were built more sturdy than newer models, and had less issues (some of which may be attributed to the fact that there's less software on them).

That said, the chat we had (coupled with Funny's thread on older pumps) prompted me to create a poll on old pumps vs. new - a case of reliability. For those who've owned BOTH older and newer models, please provide some input & a vote for which one(s) - out of the ones you've used - you thought was/were more/most reliable....the pump you had then, or the one you have now?? I left some selections out due to either being too old, or not widely used and made it to where if you felt more than one option was reliable, you could select which ones you deemed appropriate. Thanks so much for everyone's input.

ALL my love, Carwy & Best wishes for many healthy years to come! :love:
Saying prayers for him & all our friends, every day.
_______
“There are people who have money and people who are rich." - Coco Chanel
______

Type I for 31 years (Since Jan of 1982)
'Pumping' for 17 years (Since Feb. 1996)
Pumps used: MM 506,7,8,11 & 512, 722
Cozmore 1700 & 1800, Animas IR 1200, 1250, Animas Ping

Meters Used:
Many

JediSkipdogg

JediSkipdogg

• 500 plus
  • 8,760 posts
  • I am a:Type 1
As I said in the chat I chose the IR 1000. I felt that I could drop that off of a 50 story building, pick it up, and it would still work. The new pumps appear to be built out of cheap plastic, rubber, and glue. I've had my IR 1200 for about 18 months now and have had it go back thwice (once for the screen fading, once for a crack, and once for it not switching a basal time.) My IR 1000 went back once that I can think of and that is because it kept alarming at me and the motor went bad. That was in 2 years of ownership on that one.

I feel quality control is going downhill and they are just trying to get products out to fast. That is why I think the CGMS devices are all junk so far for the most part. Well, they don't fully do as promised. They are ahead of their time and haven't had the clinical trials that use to take place in the 80s and 90s. I can remember getting BG meters for free from companies for trials and using them for a full year then telling them my results and experiences with them. Now, you get a product for like 10 weeks max and do a review. Alot blame the FDA for screwups, but it's really the product makers that are screwing it over, they are just building cheaper products so they get them to market faster.

●Police Dispatcher
●Type 1 diabetic since 11 months old
●Pumper since December of 2002
~Animas IR 1000 (Dec. 2002 - Jan. 2005)
~Animas IR 1200 (Jan. 2005 - Jan. 2009)
~Cozmo 1800 (Jan. 2009 - ?)
●Dexcom Seven+ (Aug 1, 2009 - Oct 31, 2012)
●Dexcom G4 (Nov 1, 2012 - ???)

Diabetes is an Art, NOT a Science. You must master the control by skills and not by knowledge alone.

Belinda

Belinda

• 500 plus
  • 2,360 posts
I hd the 507C and never had an ounce of problems out of it. It finally started wearing on buttons but still no problems using them. The 715 model has been back because the button wore out with in a year??????? I have had to order another clip because the last one broke and get this....by pump is black/charcoal so I order the clip, look at it and think this is not right...so I compare it to the original clip which matches the pump....notice slight color difference so I call MM and inquire....they said they only have made the clip in gray...I told them sorry but I have one that matches my pump and I would be glad to send pictures and could she find a matching on in the warehouse.....you have got to be kidding they don't make them to match the pumps anymore...although I love my pump something is going on in CA....not sure what yet..maybe it was medtronics buying in.......
Posted Image Belinda

"- work as if you don't need money, - love as if you've never been hurt, -
dance, as if nobody can see you, - sing, as if no one can hear, - live, as
if the Earth was a heaven."

dgrilli

dgrilli

• 500 plus
  • 773 posts
I have only used one pump and therefore do not have a preference. I had to send my Animas 1250 back the first month I had it because the display failed to light up.

Medtronic Revel 723NAL 05-07-2014

Animas One Touch Ping 12-03-2008
Animas 1250 Pump 7-24-2006
Animas 2020 Pump 9-04-2007
Medtronic Guardian REAL-Time 11-13-2007

poodlebone

poodlebone

• 500 plus
  • 4,960 posts
I have also only had one pump so I won't vote. But I've had my MM715 for 16 months and have had no problems at all (other than infusion set troubles).
--
Liz
Type 1 dx 4/1987
Minimed Paradigm 723 Revel + CGMS
13mm Silhouettes + Sure-T infusion sets
Lifescan Ultra meters
Last A1c: 7/10: 5.4

Diana

Diana

• 500 plus
  • 315 posts
I voted that I found my 507c far more reliable than my animas IR1200.

Type 1 since 1998
Minimed 507c from 2001- 2005
Animas IR1200 from 2005

RLK

RLK

• 500 plus
  • 856 posts

although I love my pump something is going on in CA....not sure what yet..maybe it was medtronics buying in.......

I completely agree. My experiences with Minimed back when I got my first pump were top-notch and I had no complaints whatsoever. Since the merger/acquisition/whatever with Medtronic, I've had pump issues, reservoir/set issues, insurance issues...etc. I'm thinking that Animas may be the way to go for the next pump, but it remains to be seen how their acquisition by Johnson & Johnson affects product quality and customer service. Any Animas pumpers care to share their experiences?
Becky
T1 since 1998
Pumping since 1999

JediSkipdogg

JediSkipdogg

• 500 plus
  • 8,760 posts

Any Animas pumpers care to share their experiences?

So far it has been great for me. I've only had one order though since the acquisition. And believe it or not, it was a minor billing mistake. I always ordered my supplies online. And with Animas in the past (before the merger) when you did that the order needed to be verified by a real person to make sure you weren't overordering or and to make sure your insurance paid for it, etc. During that time, they would write off any amount that I owed. My insurance pays 80%, meaning I am suppose to pick up 20% of the supplies, however, Animas was nice enough to me and charged me nothing and I guess wrote off the other 20%.

After the merger, my first order, I got a pretty large bill and had no idea why. I called up and they said it was because my insurance pays 80% that I owe 20%. Which was true, so I had no arguement there. I then asked why for the past year did I not have ot pay anything on my previous 4 orders, and they found out they were writing it off. They then informed me that the Internet order system is 100% automated now. So there is no personal verification or bill correction anymore if one chooses that route. So now I have to call up to order my supplies, which isn't hard, I just tell them to duplicate my laster order and I go from there.

So, that's been my ONLY problem with Animas since the merger. And that wasn't even really a problem, it was them truely charging me what I owe. And it may not have even been a merger issue, it may have just been an updated computer system issue.

●Police Dispatcher
●Type 1 diabetic since 11 months old
●Pumper since December of 2002
~Animas IR 1000 (Dec. 2002 - Jan. 2005)
~Animas IR 1200 (Jan. 2005 - Jan. 2009)
~Cozmo 1800 (Jan. 2009 - ?)
●Dexcom Seven+ (Aug 1, 2009 - Oct 31, 2012)
●Dexcom G4 (Nov 1, 2012 - ???)

Diabetes is an Art, NOT a Science. You must master the control by skills and not by knowledge alone.

David

David

• 500 plus
  • 563 posts
I had a 508 that was a workhorse. I had no problems with it at all for the first three years. During the last year I did have to send it back twice as it (and the entire series) aged.

I've used my Cozmo (with the Cozmonitor for 18 months. I've had no problems with the pump although I did have to get the Cozmonitor replaced once when it got dunked (bounced off the toilet porcelain and into the water). The pump survived the experience.

David

nowellwisch

nowellwisch

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I started with the MiniMed 502 in 1982.
It worked flawlessly until 1986 when I had one problem with the screen (punched it out with my thumb) and MiniMed fixed it for free. In 1988 or so, I changed to the 504.
It worked flawlessly until 1999 when I changed to the 507.
It worked flawlessly until 2006 when I changed to the 712.

My 712 is a terrific pump and has survived several drops, broken cradles and clips, brain freeze getting into the shower, and general hard use.

MiniMed has been superb in its 24hour help line on the several times I needed them and they have dispatched replacement sets and reservoirs when I didn't pack enough.

Angelique

Angelique

• 500 plus
  • 111 posts
My 507 was perfect, I got the 508 and have had a replacement. I need a new pump but don't like any that are on the market.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users