- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

bethkaysmom

bethkaysmom

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi, I hope that someone can shed some light on this for me. My brother in law is in the hospital, today it's been 1 week. He attempted suicide -in his room they found insulin, needles and a few other things. When they tested him for substances in his body they found ,cocaine,marijuana,opiates,and nerve pills. When I found him he had white foam running from his nose all the way down his face and in the back of his throat. His mother is a diabetic and is on mumerous medications. This is how he had access to some of the medications. She immediately began giving him oxygen and I called 911. When they arrived he was still unconscious and remains that way still today .The doctor;s have ran 2 cat scans and say that he is not brain dead however he still hasn't woke up. At one time they told my mother in law that it must be from the insulin that is keeping him unconscious. However they checked him at home and at the hospital and said that his blood sugar levels were normal. Iam extremely confused. Last night my mother in law salled to see if there were any changes and his charge nurse told her no. She also told the nurse that they had done another cat scan and there was no brain death .The nurse then told my mother in law that there was no way to tell with a cat scan or mri. Do you think the doctor is just telling us this to give us hope or what ? Does anyone know what may be going on? Please help me understand I feel like we are being led in too many different directions. The doctor's called us Saturday and wanted us to come to the hospital to decide what we were going to do as far as treatment because he said at that point he felt that he may have a heart attack and wanted to know if we wanted them to help him if he did. To me it sounds like they believe he is already dead. Any help would be greatly appreciated . Advance thanks.

sydneya

sydneya

• 500 plus
  • 1,105 posts
I wish I had answers for you; but all I can offer is empathy and prayers. Life can be very hard. My father had emphysema and his medicine would become out of balance too often. When it did he would request that we help him die. It was the hardest thing I'd ever been through. All's I could do was pray and cry. I did plenty of both.

Try to keep your chin up and I'll add my thoughts and prayers.
" Those who wait for roast duck to fly in mouth must wait a very long time. If you need something, don't wait. Go get it."

"This one makes a net. This one sits and wishes. Can you make a bet, which one catches fishes?"

kgm0612

kgm0612

• 500 plus
  • 7,672 posts
Sorry..........I also have no answers for you. I pray everything turns out okay for your family.

Karen

JediSkipdogg

JediSkipdogg

• 500 plus
  • 8,772 posts
  • I am a:Type 1
With that mixture of deadly drugs it is possible to be in a long term coma. Basically they shut down certain functions of the body and until some of them wear off the body wants to stay in rest. If he is still showing brain activity, then it should be very hopeful that he will come out of it. As for when, that's unknown.

As for the insulin causing anything. Unless he injected an entire vial, that's a mute point. From my understanding is if a non-diabetic injects insulin, their pancreas just won't produce any during the time the insulin is in effect. If they inject too much, their pancreas will shut off for that period and then their liver will dump glucose into the blood stream to counteract it. How much the body can take, I really have no idea.

I would remain hopeful that he'll come out alright. And then I hope he can get the treatment he needs so he can lead a great life. Sorry this is happening to you, if you need anything else, just ask.

●Police Dispatcher
●Type 1 diabetic since 11 months old
●Pumper since December of 2002
~Animas IR 1000 (Dec. 2002 - Jan. 2005)
~Animas IR 1200 (Jan. 2005 - Jan. 2009)
~Cozmo 1800 (Jan. 2009 - ?)
●Dexcom Seven+ (Aug 1, 2009 - Oct 31, 2012)
●Dexcom G4 (Nov 1, 2012 - ???)

Diabetes is an Art, NOT a Science. You must master the control by skills and not by knowledge alone.

gettingby

gettingby

• 500 plus
  • 10,037 posts
I'm sorry that this is happening to your family.:frown:
I do know that there are tests and procedures that can be done to measure brain activity. My best friend was in an automobile accident around 12 years ago and they did all sorts of tests before deciding there was no brain activity. If you have any doubt, don't be afraid to ask for a 2nd or even 3rd opinion.
I hope things turn out ok. I will say a prayer for him and your family every day.

:P 

~Cin~
Mom always says I'm special. Hmmm........wonder what she means by that?? LOL.
The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or touched, they must be felt with the heart.
~Helen Keller~

camjen1

camjen1

• 500 plus
  • 3,658 posts
If your brother is not brain dead as the DR says then I see some hope. Remember it's ultimately up to the family of what type of care should be continued. I say keep hoping and praying! Good luck and please keep us all updated. Sorry I can't add any other info regarding what he took.
~Sandi~
Pumping for almost 6 years
MM Purple 722 with Humalog
Symlin

Just because I've been on df for a whole day doesn't mean I'm ADDICTED... my chair is just COMFY...

ProudMOM

ProudMOM

• 500 plus
  • 198 posts
I am very sorry to hear of your family's situation. I do know that brain death is not determined by a CT (CAT) scan. This will only show swelling, tumors, lesions, etc. One of the main determinants of brain activity / brain death is a test called an EEG (electroencephalogram). This shows brain activity, slowing, underlying seizure activity, and lack of brain activity. I would insist upon this test as well as a full evaluation from a neurologist to aid in his treatment and prognosis.

I wish your family all the best during this difficult time.

notme

notme

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 13,234 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
  • I am a:Type 1
I am so sorry to hear about your brother. Generally, doctors will not lie to "give hope" to families. It is usual for them to give you all of the possible scenerios and then just wait.

Proud Mom is correct in that an EEG is done to determine brain activity. I would ask the doctor if that WAS the test that was done.

Good luck and wishes,
RIP My beautiful boy.

maxwellsmiles1.jpg

Nancy

“I don't expect everything to be handed to me. Just set it down anywhere.”.

diagnosed type 1 October 1986
currently using Medtronic MiniMed
Revel 723 with CGMS
CLEAR [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

ProudNanaof5

ProudNanaof5

• 500 plus
  • 630 posts
I am truly sorry for your situation. I have been in the position before of not knowing truly what was going on with what the Dr were trying to say. My Mom was in the hospital and she had a history of respriatory distress. She had a spell and the nurse said she was hyperventlating. I told her that she had a history of rd (which she should have known as it was on her chart and she was her nurse). That was the last time I saw my Mom looking at me as they were wheeling down to ICU. They worked on her over an hour before the Doctor came out to tell us that she was breathing on ventalator and had no brain activity. He told us "I brought her back, what did you want me to do" His next words were "You have to decide to take her off life support or not" So I know what you feel about confusion. Just be sure to ask questions and don't be afraid to hurt feelings if you have to get them. Some Docs think they are God or close to it. So try to be strong and I will sure keep you in my prayers.
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

{{{HUGS}}},

LINDA

DX Type 1 - June 16, 2006
A1c - 14.2 6/06
A1c - 6.5 2/07
Lantus 20 u a.m. / 8 u p.m.
Novalog 1 u for 30 carbs
+ sliding scale b4 meals
Symlin 20u b4 meals

lilituc

lilituc

• 500 plus
  • 709 posts

If they inject too much, their pancreas will shut off for that period and then their liver will dump glucose into the blood stream to counteract it.

The liver knows to dump glucose when insulin levels are low (because it normally follows that glucose levels should also be low.) It doesn't know about glucose levels directly, though. Also, if you've used up your store of hepatic glucose, you have to replenish it before it will work again. This is why glucagon sometimes won't work. Still, if a nondiabetic had injected too much insulin, it would show up as low blood sugar.

Best wishes to you and your family, bethkaysmom.
Dx T2 3/2005
Correctly dx T1 (LADA) 11/2006
MM 522 w/NovoLog since 1/07
Previously on Actos, Starlix, Metformin ER, Lantus

Cyborg

Cyborg

• 500 plus
  • 7,866 posts
Prayers and best wishes.

am1977

am1977

• 500 plus
  • 4,534 posts
My thoughts are with you and your family~ there's always hope!
I’ve faced myself
To cross out what I’ve become
Erase myself
And let go of what I’ve done

Put to rest
What you thought of me
Well I cleaned this slate
With the hands
Of uncertainty

So let mercy come
And wash away
What I’ve done

I’ve faced myself
To cross out what I’ve become
Erase myself
And let go of what I’ve done

Linkin Park~ "What I've Done" :thrasher:

sofaraway

sofaraway

• 500 plus
  • 421 posts
I'm really sorry to hear about your situation and hope that things improve for you and your brother in law.

this is how they determine brain stem death

How do they know if your brain stem has died

The tests used to determine brain stem death are simple but conclusive. They will only be carried out after doctors have established that the patient has suffered irreversible brain damage.

Before the tests are started checks are made to make sure that any factors which might affect the tests such as drugs or an extremely low body temperature have been eliminated.

The tests are done at the patient's bedside. First of all, a torch is shone into both eyes to see if the pupils react to the light. Then the cornea, which is normally ultra-sensitive, is stroked with a tissue or cotton wool. Next, painful pressure is applied to the forehead and the nose is pinched. Ice-cold water is then syringed into each ear in turn, which would normally cause eye movement. A tube is then inserted down the patient's throat to provoke a gagging or coughing response.

Finally, and most importantly, conditions are created which allow the patient to be removed from the ventilator for a short period of about ten minutes to see if they show any sign of attempting to breathe on their own. Patients who are brain stem dead will not react in any way to any of the tests.

This group of tests is carried out twice, at separate times. They are done by two senior doctors with special expertise in this area, neither of whom must be a member of the transplant team.

If the second set of tests confirms no evidence of brain stem activity the patient is declared dead.

The standards for certifying death by brain stem death are strict and are accepted medically, legally and ethically in the UK and in most other countries in the world.
type: MODY 3
diagnosed: feb 2000
using: lantus and novorapid
last Hba1c: 5.7% July 2007
previous HbA1c:5.6% April 2007
previous HbA1c: 6.2% Febuary 2007

CaptDave4499

CaptDave4499

• 500 plus
  • 602 posts
I'm sorry to hear what happened and I wish I could help. Good luck and ask the doctors to give to you all straight so you can make the best care decisions for him.

Captain Dave
Disabled Firefighter/Cheeseburger Lover

Posted Image
Posted Image
Don't hold your farts in, they'll travel up your spine and give ya crappy ideas!

blue_eyed_devil

blue_eyed_devil

• 500 plus
  • 255 posts
I too am very sorry to hear about your situation. I have been though similar situations and know how crappy it can be, keep up hope and love. Believe me you will get htought it!

As for your brothers situation, I think the best thing to do would be to ask the dr's to be more specific. Tell them you are confused by what they are saying and don't be intimidated by them - they're just people! It sounds like your brother is just in a coma as a 'protective' measure... As in his body has shutdown to the outside world to fix what's going on on the inside... I'm not sure if that makes sence, but all the best, my best wishes are with you.
money can't buy you friends, but you get a better class of enemy" - spike milligan
diagnosed april 1993, age 10
was on MDI until april 2005, when started on cozmo pump
(purple).
i'm a nurse and the medical profession scares me sometimes :nurse:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users