Getting Rid of Ketones

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

2high

2high

• 500 plus
  • 3,450 posts
I've had ketones (anywhere between moderate and large) for the last two weeks, and have no idea how I can get rid of them. The drs have called them "starvation" ketones because they are due to not being able to eat properly, and have nothing to do with my bgls, but I'm still finding it extremely difficult to eat, so I cant get rid of them that way.

I was wondering if anybody had any ideas on how to flush ketones from the system? Theyre a bit of a worry because I've had a couple of hypos, and am not feeling them at all while I have the ketones...

Thanks lovelies,

Kit

Katie - T1 since age 8, October 1992.

Mum to Riley, 19th August 2010, and Koby, 23 October 2013

JediSkipdogg

JediSkipdogg

• 500 plus
  • 8,753 posts
  • I am a:Type 1
If you aren't eating what your body needs to stabilize your weight, then you will always produce ketones. As your body breaks down fat for energy it creates a ketone as a byproduct. Therefore you CANNOT eliminate them without eating normal again.
●Blue Ash, Ohio Police Dispatcher
●Type 1 diabetic since 11 months old
●Pumper since December of 2002
~Animas IR 1000 (Dec. 2002 - Jan. 2005)
~Animas IR 1200 (Jan. 2005 - Jan. 2009)
~Cozmo 1800 (Jan. 2009 - ?)
●Dexcom Seven+ (Aug 1, 2009 - Oct 31, 2012)
●Dexcom G4 (Nov 1, 2012 - ???)

Diabetes is an Art, NOT a Science. You must master the control by skills and not by knowledge alone.

2high

2high

• 500 plus
  • 3,450 posts

If you aren't eating what your body needs to stabilize your weight, then you will always produce ketones. As your body breaks down fat for energy it creates a ketone as a byproduct. Therefore you CANNOT eliminate them without eating normal again.

Boooo... thanks though.

BlueSky

BlueSky

• 500 plus
  • 2,566 posts
As Jedi says, the only way to get rid of keytones is to inject/infuse insulin and consume carbs at the same time. There is no other way. And if you can't hold down food, you need to deal with the problem quickly. What are you doing to restore your ability to eat? If nausea is problem, you need to take suitable medication to get over it. The stomach becomes so sensitive that, if left to it's own devices, it won't accept any food. And you have to break this cycle.

You also have to watch out for losing minerals, especially postassium. The problem can escalate quickly, pushing you into DKA. If it gets any worse, go to the hospital and they will put you on an insulin/glucose IV. Then they will be able to deal with the eating problem, using whatever medication is required. Good luck! ;)

Tim_Roy

Tim_Roy

• 500 plus
  • 305 posts
There is a substance out there that certain people use to avoid nausea and that is known to give people the "munchies..."

Not that I'm suggesting that

Tim_Roy

Tim_Roy

• 500 plus
  • 305 posts
Of course, then your name might be a bit more fitting...
:-

Stuboy

Stuboy

• 500 plus
  • 1,956 posts
her name is very fitting as it is!

Have you tried eating plenty of bread? toast? i isually find i can eat bread or toast when im unable to keep anything else down.
Stu
Posted Image
Posted Image
Type 1 Since 24.07.2006
Pumping NovoRapid with Animas 2020MDI- Levemir & NovoRapidMDI - Lantus & NovoRapidMixtard 30

Posted Image Ya gots to work with what ya gots to work with!

CycloneKitty

CycloneKitty

• 500 plus
  • 162 posts
I've heard drinking lots of water can help get rid of ketones.
Dx - Feb 1982
Using Humalog and Lantus
Last HbA1c 8.8 (July 2006)

:marchmell

2high

2high

• 500 plus
  • 3,450 posts

Of course, then your name might be a bit more fitting...
:-

No No Kids, Drugs are bad!

her name is very fitting as it is!

Have you tried eating plenty of bread? toast? i isually find i can eat bread or toast when im unable to keep anything else down.

Nah, that was comin back up too Stu... wanna see a pic?! Lol JOKING!!

Thanks all for your suggestions. I'm back to eating almost normally and ketones are all gone but for a trace... which totally doesn't phase me...

spike

spike

Banned

• Banned
  • 3,329 posts
Kit, take a look at some of the top results from google.

[url=http://www.google.com/search?num=100&hl=en&lr=lang_en&safe=off&q=ketones&btnG=Search]ketones - Google Search[/url]

Dad
T1 DM since '78
MM Pumper since '96
Current Pump: Blue MM 522

arteral157

arteral157

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
i too have been having a problem like this ... i have had keytones for 3 weeks now my bg is in control but a work out plan i have started i think is the problem ... any ideas on how to fix that

genie86333

genie86333

• 500 plus
  • 2,191 posts
Ketones are not bad - as long as they're not accompanied by high bg (which can be oncoming ketoacidosis.) They're just showing that you're burning fat (since you're exercising, that's a good thing right?)

AngelKitty

AngelKitty

• 500 plus
  • 1,564 posts

Thanks all for your suggestions. I'm back to eating almost normally and ketones are all gone but for a trace... which totally doesn't phase me...

Hi Kit - glad to hear you're on the mend - get lots of that home made chicken soup into you :)

:angel: AngelKitty

Dx T1 Sept 2008
Pumping NovoRapid with Medtronic MiniMed Paradigm 722 - nicknamed Schultz

Subby

Subby

• 500 plus
  • 10,158 posts

i too have been having a problem like this ... i have had keytones for 3 weeks now my bg is in control but a work out plan i have started i think is the problem ... any ideas on how to fix that

Can you give an indication of
- how many ketones you are seeing, how are you measuring them and what readings are you getting,
- what BG numbers you are generally seeing through the day,
- what actual food you eat in a day?
20 years T1. NPH and Novorapid.
Some essentials for my blood sugar control: dosing via i:c ratio and cf • basal testing when needed • daily 40 minutes moderate exercise (or close) • carbs somewhere below 120g currently • only eating carbs and carb/fat combos that do not cause a problem spike, with or without insulin.

mortis505

mortis505

Browncoat

• 500 plus
  • 2,185 posts
  • LocationFederal Way, Wa
  • I am a:Type 1.5
Ketosis should not be confused with ketoacidosis (diabetic ketoacidosis or the less common alcoholic ketoacidosis), which is severe ketosis causing the pH of the blood to drop below 7.2. Ketoacidosis is a medical condition usually caused by diabetes and accompanied by dehydration, hyperglycemia, ketonuria and increased levels of glucagon. The high glucagon, low insulin serum levels signals the body to produce more glucose via gluconeogenesis and glycogenolysis, and ketone bodies via ketogenesis. High levels of glucose causes the failure of tubular reabsorption in the kidneys, causing water to leak into the tubules in a process called osmotic diuresis, causing dehydration and further exacerbating the acidosis.
Type 1.5 and Hashimotos
MM522
Accu-Check Aviva (VA provided)
50mcg Levothyroxin
2.5Mg Lisinopril
80Mg Pravastatin

Facebook

ant hill

ant hill

• 500 plus
  • 7,463 posts
Hello Kit :), As what Mortis505 just said as this may be what you are looking for as ketoacidosis is not good at all but mild keytones is tolerable providing that your kidneys are healthy to resist the load. Read this Kit as some is OK but to a limit. :)

But, isn't ketosis dangerous?

Being in ketosis by following a low carbohydrate diet is NOT dangerous. The human body was designed to use ketones very efficiently as fuel in the absence of glucose. However, the word ketosis is often confused with a similar word, ketoacidosis.

Ketoacidosis is a dangerous condition for diabetics, and the main element is ACID not ketones. The blood pH becomes dangerously acidic because of an extremely high blood SUGAR level (the diabetic has no insulin, or doesn't respond to insulin .... so blood sugar rises ... ketones are produced by the body to provide the fuel necessary for life, since the cells can't use the sugar). It's the high blood sugar, and the acid condition that is so dangerous. Ketones just happen to be a part of the picture, and are a RESULT of the condition, not the CAUSE. Diabetics can safely follow a ketogenic diet to lose fat weight ... but they must be closely monitored by their health care provider, and blood sugars need to be kept low, and stable.

nz9q.jpg

Peter...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users