Metformin gives me a headache

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

jjordie

jjordie

• 500 plus
  • 247 posts
Just over three weeks ago I started on Metformin and since then I seem to have had
an almost permanent headache. Is this one of the side effects?
I also have gripey stomache pains and a horrible metallic taste in my mouth.

Anybody else had a headache when first starting on Metformin and does
it go away in time?

T2. Diagnosed February 1995
(Started Metformin October 2006)

Metformin 500mg x 3
Aspirin 75mg x 1
Sotalol 20mg x 2
Thyroxine 175mg
Betahistine 8mg x 3
Gliclazide

Everything makes sense to someone at some time:pcguru:

Phranky

Phranky

• 500 plus
  • 114 posts
If you Google metformin and it's side effects you'll find that you've described them all, exceptin' maybe the headache thing.

I've been on now for about 10 months and the only thing I get occasionally is, "the gripey stomach" and it's associated trips to the bathroom.

They should go away after awhile...stick with it because the more I've read about metformin, the more I realize it truly is a wonder drug.

Good luck!
blah, blah, blah diabetes!

trpack

trpack

• 500 plus
  • 170 posts
I have been on Metformin now for about 3 weeks and so far I love it. I have tried both Avandia and Avandaryl and neither worked the best for me. They helped with keeping the numbers where I wanted them but they also caused other problems. The only thing with the Metformin so far is the stomach issue but that seems to be coming under control with time. The Metformin cost me about 1/3 of what the others cost for an added benefit.
If a tree don't fall on me I'll live till I die.
Tex Ritter

A1c June 2006 13.5
A1c October 2006 5.9
A1c February 2007 5.6

Tricia452008

Tricia452008

• 500 plus
  • 416 posts
are they really that bad? i am going to be put on metformin in 3 weeks and i know its not the best and everything but are the pains to the point where you cannot get anything done?
Type 1 Diabetic Since 1990 at 6 Years Old.

Marrying my Patrick on 4-5-2008!! :love:

The only Person Who Understands a Diabetic is Another Diabetic!

Go Hogs!!

Posted Image

Keezheekoni

Keezheekoni

• 500 plus
  • 3,107 posts
My husband is on metformin. When he first started on it, he did have the stomach cramps and headaches. After about 6 weeks, the side effects went away. He says that they weren't so bad he couldn't work or anything. He just took Tylenol for the headaches and made sure the door to the bathroom was open. :)
Posted Image
Rikki @--'--,--'--
Diagnosed in 1989
A1c Really bad I'm not telling til it's better! - Apr 2010

Pumping with my Medtronic 722
Every time you Can Has, God kills a LOLcat.

My Blog

Posted ImagePosted Image

jjordie

jjordie

• 500 plus
  • 247 posts

are they really that bad? i am going to be put on metformin in 3 weeks and i know its not the best and everything but are the pains to the point where you cannot get anything done?

Tricia
The gripey pains are a bit of a nuisance but unlike some, I do not have to keep rushing to the loo.
The headaches are also a real nuisance but hoping they go away as my system gets used to the Metformin -
but I haven't heard of headaches being a common side effect which was why I posted on here
hoping somebody would know.

Otherwise, I am so pleased that my BGs have really improved in only three weeks!

And - Congratulations on your forthcoming wedding

Posted Image

Metformin 500mg x 3
Aspirin 75mg x 1
Sotalol 20mg x 2
Thyroxine 175mg
Betahistine 8mg x 3
Gliclazide

Tricia452008

Tricia452008

• 500 plus
  • 416 posts
ok sounds good thank you :) and i am glad your bgs are going down...that is what i am hoping for too!!
Type 1 Diabetic Since 1990 at 6 Years Old.

Marrying my Patrick on 4-5-2008!! :love:

The only Person Who Understands a Diabetic is Another Diabetic!

Go Hogs!!

Posted Image

jjordie

jjordie

• 500 plus
  • 247 posts
Thanks for your reply Rikki
Glad somebody can tell me headaches should go away in
a few more weeks. BGs are so improved I can wait for a bit longer :)

Metformin 500mg x 3
Aspirin 75mg x 1
Sotalol 20mg x 2
Thyroxine 175mg
Betahistine 8mg x 3
Gliclazide

lilituc

lilituc

• 500 plus
  • 709 posts
Metformin gave me headaches, but I was on Metformin ER (extended release). You only take it once a day and it lasts 24 hours. For some reason my endo said to take it in the morning, which is not usual. When I switched to taking it at night, the headaches went away (or maybe I just had them in my sleep, heh). Are you on extended release? Sometimes people have better luck with side effects when they don't have to take it more than once a day.
Dx T2 3/2005
Correctly dx T1 (LADA) 11/2006
MM 522 w/NovoLog since 1/07
Previously on Actos, Starlix, Metformin ER, Lantus

jjordie

jjordie

• 500 plus
  • 247 posts
lilituc

I am on 500mg Metformin before breakfast and same before evening meal.
Supposed to start taking another 500mg before lunch but I am putting it off until the end of the week.

Metformin 500mg x 3
Aspirin 75mg x 1
Sotalol 20mg x 2
Thyroxine 175mg
Betahistine 8mg x 3
Gliclazide

lilituc

lilituc

• 500 plus
  • 709 posts

lilituc

I am on 500mg Metformin before breakfast and same before evening meal.
Supposed to start taking another 500mg before lunch but I am putting it off until the end of the week.

In that case maybe you could ask your doctor about the extended release.
Dx T2 3/2005

ladytaz

ladytaz

• 500 plus
  • 2,584 posts
I've been on metformin for a year and 3 months, still have the perkulating tummy some days, but never had any headaches from it. I have headaches, almost daily sometimes, but that's from other reasons ;)

As someone else stated, the extended release is supposed to be a bit easier on the side effects.

lilituc - I've never heard of it being uncommon or unusual for it to be taken in the morning! That's exactly how me, my dad and my sis were instructed, and how I've heard quite a few others who take it were instructed!

None of us take ours at meal times either, other than breakfast. We 3 take it multiple times a day. Me, twice daily, I take it when I wake up (about 9 am) and then I take it again 12 hours later. My sis the same. I think my dad's the same. Haven't asked him ;)

I did start off on the extended form (I was taking that twice a day too! as is my sis now), but a few weeks later I went to the regular, quite by accident, I misinformed the doc when he was writing me a new prescription because my doses were upped (I got my orig script in the ER) but that's alright, I've no insurance therefore I gotta pay outta my own pocket, and the regular was cheaper!

.: Melissa :.

Type 2 - Dx'd 08.16.05
•••
[ A1c ]
6.9 - 01/07
6.0 - 05/07
5.9 - 09/07
6.4 - 03/08
6.4 - 10/08
6.9 - 03/09
[ Meter ]
Contour
[ Meds ]
Metformin 1000mg 2x, Novolin N 30u 2x, Novolin R 1:10
Lisinopril 20mg 1x, Simvastatin 40mg 1x, Aspirin 81mg 1x
Tramadol 50mg 2 tabs 3x, Gabapentin 300mg 3x
[ Other Conditions ]
Coccidioidomycosis aka Valley Fever Dx'd 1.17.94
- Asthma
- Chronic Bronchitis
Hypertention
Hyperlipidemia
Neuropathy

lilituc

lilituc

• 500 plus
  • 709 posts

As someone else stated, the extended release is supposed to be a bit easier on the side effects.

lilituc - I've never heard of it being uncommon or unusual for it to be taken in the morning! That's exactly how me, my dad and my sis were instructed, and how I've heard quite a few others who take it were instructed!

I've heard that the ER is usually prescribed to be taken at night. What I don't understand is it is supposed to have fewer side effects because it's only taken once a day. I'm not sure how taking it twice a day would have any advantage over the regular.
Dx T2 3/2005

ladytaz

ladytaz

• 500 plus
  • 2,584 posts

I've heard that the ER is usually prescribed to be taken at night..

Hmm, could be ... not been my experience, nor anyone else I knew of.

What I don't understand is it is supposed to have fewer side effects because it's only taken once a day. I'm not sure how taking it twice a day would have any advantage over the regular.

because no matter, once or twice a day, it's slowly released, rather than dumped all at once.

.: Melissa :.

Type 2 - Dx'd 08.16.05
•••
[ A1c ]
6.9 - 01/07
6.0 - 05/07
5.9 - 09/07
6.4 - 03/08
6.4 - 10/08
6.9 - 03/09
[ Meter ]
Contour
[ Meds ]
Metformin 1000mg 2x, Novolin N 30u 2x, Novolin R 1:10
Lisinopril 20mg 1x, Simvastatin 40mg 1x, Aspirin 81mg 1x
Tramadol 50mg 2 tabs 3x, Gabapentin 300mg 3x
[ Other Conditions ]
Coccidioidomycosis aka Valley Fever Dx'd 1.17.94
- Asthma
- Chronic Bronchitis
Hypertention
Hyperlipidemia
Neuropathy

mg_2204

mg_2204

• 500 plus
  • 3,271 posts
I suffered from headaches and was switched to Metformin Slow Release. The headaches stopped. Yay!

They did come back at one point. It's kinda sporadic. Usually BG runs higher or lower than what I am used to when I suffer from headaches.

I too have that metallic taste in my mouth at times. Not always. It comes and goes. Bothered me a lot more at the very beginning.

It's been 2 years and a few months since I'm on Metformin.

JacquiS

JacquiS

• 500 plus
  • 209 posts
It took me about a month and a half to get past the "ickies" with Metfromin. Emergency trips to the bathroom, the metallic taste in my mouth, even a few headaches...name it, I got it. But it does help..it's one of the best meds out there....just stick to it and see how it goes Jjordie.

BTW how is your knee? Have you had your replacement surgery yet?
:wink: Jacqui

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

5/06 A1C 8
9/06 A1C 6.4

ActoplusMet 15/mg/500mg x 2
Levothyroxine 50mcg x1
Pravachol 40mg x 1
Prevacid 30mg x 1
Clonazepam 1mg x1 (for restless leg syndrome, but he seems to think it will help my migraines too)
Lisinopril 10mg x2
(mostly) Healthy diet
Exercise

"this whole friggin town is uphill.....":bike:

Peter Lee

Peter Lee

• 500 plus
  • 757 posts
I had just about every side recorded side effect for Metformin except the headaches [ :) ] and I was in a bad way. After six months they all just disappeared and now I am barely conscious of the Metformin except for the fact that my sugar level is under control :marchmell
Peter
63,Type 2, Diagnosed Dec 04

Medication - Metformin 850mg x 3; Pioglitazone (Actos) 30mg x 1; Gliclazide 160mg x 2; plus stuff for hypertension & cholesterol with Aspirin E/C for the cardio/vascular system

Posted Image

:) I have to keep smiling - there's no other choice - but I do growl occasionally :whistling

Penny

Penny

• 500 plus
  • 6,653 posts
The only time I have stomach problems with Metformin is when I do not take it with a meal. Before or after a meal and I am running to the bathroom. I start eating and then take the pill. I get headaches sometimes, it seems to have more to do with my numbers though. If I am high, I have headaches.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Love doesn't make the world go around, but it makes the ride worthwhile.

jjordie

jjordie

• 500 plus
  • 247 posts
PeterLee
Extremely re-assuring to know that these side effects disappear in time - be it 6 weeks or 6 months, my BGs are so much better I will carry on with the Metformin.

Doc told me to take it immediately before a meal and it should lessen any side effects. Well I still got side effects but maybe they would have been worse if I hadn't followed his instructions. Will be increasing to 3 x 500mg tomorrow so hoping headaches etc won't be any worse.

JacquiS- thanks for enquiring about my knee. Have been to the hospital this morning and told op should be done before end of March so still a while to wait. :)

Metformin 500mg x 3
Aspirin 75mg x 1
Sotalol 20mg x 2
Thyroxine 175mg
Betahistine 8mg x 3
Gliclazide

jjordie

jjordie

• 500 plus
  • 247 posts
Further on to Metformin and my headache problems I now have such a revolting taste in my mouth
all the time since taking Metformin that I really find it a problem to eat anything or even drink plain water -
everything tastes as if it comes out of a sewer :(

Has anybody found a 'cure' for this as cleaning my teeth repeatedly and mouth wash seem to have no effect.

Apart from this nuisance my BGs have really improved and if I have a problem eating then perhaps
I might even lose a bit of weight.

Posted Image

Just remembered - the only thing that tastes ok when I eat it is chocolate!
- but then should only eat a very little bit of that shouldn't I? :D

Metformin 500mg x 3
Aspirin 75mg x 1
Sotalol 20mg x 2
Thyroxine 175mg
Betahistine 8mg x 3
Gliclazide

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users