• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

Sothron

Sothron

• 500 plus
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts
Hello all,

I am a type 2 diabetic and this is my first post. I was diagnosed with this disease in Sept 05. I am currently taking Avandaryl one pill a day. I don't remember the dosage.

My blood sugar is usually in the high 90's and throughout the day it never gets past 150 or 160 in the day and that is a very "high" day.

My question is this: if you are keeping your blood sugar in a good range...what is the actual harm in eating at say DQ and eating a blizzard or some other sugar based snack? I realize you could not eat something like that on a regular basis and maintain a healthy blood sugar level but is there any actual harm being done by just having the sugar in your body?

My wife and I may go to get ice cream once a month and yet when we do she feels guilty about "letting" me get ice cream. Does this pose a real threat to my health? Or not? My doctor is an extremely rude young man who barely answers any questions I pose to him and he's never given me any kind of answer except to say "Just try to eat sugar free snacks if you can" which as you can tell does not answer my question. Is there any actual harm in ingesting sugar if you can maintain a healthy blood sugar level?

I appreciate any answes or help.

JediSkipdogg

JediSkipdogg

• 500 plus
  • 8,757 posts
  • I am a:Type 1
Other type 2s can give their opinions....

However, I see no harm in once in a while. You may become thirsty during that time so be prepared to drink a little bit depending on how long you stay high. But overall, maybe once a month at most I don't see any long term harm from that. That's a personal opinion though.
●Blue Ash, Ohio Police Dispatcher
●Type 1 diabetic since 11 months old
●Pumper since December of 2002
~Animas IR 1000 (Dec. 2002 - Jan. 2005)
~Animas IR 1200 (Jan. 2005 - Jan. 2009)
~Cozmo 1800 (Jan. 2009 - ?)
●Dexcom Seven+ (Aug 1, 2009 - Oct 31, 2012)
●Dexcom G4 (Nov 1, 2012 - ???)

Diabetes is an Art, NOT a Science. You must master the control by skills and not by knowledge alone.

sweetcheeks

sweetcheeks

• 500 plus
  • 992 posts
you dont have to cut it out of your diet, try to work it in which means, give up your snack that day etc, maybe cut back the dinner

but i suggest to look at the nutrional value of the menu find things you like and look for the carb content, out of all the sweet treats they have that you like, try to eat the one with less carbs, or even better

get a large or medium blizzard and you and the wife share with two spoons, i always done that even before the diabetes came into my life lol

remember this tip ** not all sugar free foods are better, ice cream is on my list of things to try and not get sugar free items, because the sugar free stuff is as generally just as bad, just dont eat a hole brownie oreo earthquake by yourself lol

psssssssst a small strawberry sundae only has 40 carbs

here check this link out

Dairy Queen: Nutrition Charts
Stacey

1st A1c 10/2006 8.9
2nd A1c 1/2007 5.5
3rd A1c 4/2007 5.3
4th A1c 7/2007 5.5
5th A1c 4/2008 5.1
Latest A1c 10/2010 5.2

Sothron

Sothron

• 500 plus
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts
Thank you for the replies. I should mention that what I do is get a large blizzard and eat about half of it one day and wait to eat the other half the next night to try and keep the sugar level somewhat decent. I've tested myself and even after eating a full large blizzard my sugar level never goes above 160 after eating it.I honestly can't even remember the last time my sugar level was higher than 160 since the initial diagnosis and the next few weeks as it went down.

I must say I'm relieved to hear that sugar itself is not some kind of poisonous substance to the body and that you can enjoy a monthly snack. My wife and my parents (especially) think I'm murdering small kittens when I eat the ice cream and I've even shown them that my sugar level doesn't really go up to anything near bad levels. My guilt has been assauged and I hope my wife's will as well lol. Its bad being diabetic at the age of thirty but having "friends of the family" telling my parents and wife that one blizzard contains more sugar than a diabetic should eat in an entire year doesn't help.

Thanks for the info guys. :thumbsup:

sweetcheeks

sweetcheeks

• 500 plus
  • 992 posts

My wife and my parents (especially) think I'm murdering small kittens when I eat the ice cream

lmao thats tooooo funny

i told my husband that he had a kick out of it too

My guilt has been assauged and I hope my wife's will as well lol. Its bad being diabetic at the age of thirty but having "friends of the family" telling my parents and wife that one blizzard contains more sugar than a diabetic should eat in an entire year doesn't help.

pffffffffft like thats encouragin words................... they sound like they are going by oldschool diabetes info lol
Stacey

1st A1c 10/2006 8.9
2nd A1c 1/2007 5.5
3rd A1c 4/2007 5.3
4th A1c 7/2007 5.5
5th A1c 4/2008 5.1
Latest A1c 10/2010 5.2

cuori

cuori

• 500 plus
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
ice cream is one of my weaknesses so i made a point of asking my dr how i can have it with less guilt or my hubby nagging about my sugars. his response was its better to have it sometimes then give in when the craving gets really bad and eatting way to much of it. he also suggested that instead of driving down to get some to walk to the store if possible and counter some of those sad little sugars that are gonna make me feel worse. usually i find that with a 15 or 20 min walk after eatting it my numbers are actually lower then before i went to have ice cream. dont know if that will help you but i know how some days you just cant say no to your body needing a comfort treat.

ladytaz

ladytaz

• 500 plus
  • 2,584 posts
I think we all need a lil "treat" once in a while so we don't go "off the deep end" go over board and pig out! LOL You are NOT murdering kittens, Good Lord! LOL That SO annoys me when people, especially those who haven't a clue, act and say things like that! But I just chalk it up to them being UNeducated on diabetes! I'd just thank them very much for their "help", and let them know that this is YOUR disease, YOU live with it every day, and YOU know how to deal with it. :)

.: Melissa :.

Type 2 - Dx'd 08.16.05
•••
[ A1c ]
6.9 - 01/07
6.0 - 05/07
5.9 - 09/07
6.4 - 03/08
6.4 - 10/08
6.9 - 03/09
[ Meter ]
Contour
[ Meds ]
Metformin 1000mg 2x, Novolin N 30u 2x, Novolin R 1:10
Lisinopril 20mg 1x, Simvastatin 40mg 1x, Aspirin 81mg 1x
Tramadol 50mg 2 tabs 3x, Gabapentin 300mg 3x
[ Other Conditions ]
Coccidioidomycosis aka Valley Fever Dx'd 1.17.94
- Asthma
- Chronic Bronchitis
Hypertention
Hyperlipidemia
Neuropathy

ProudNanaof5

ProudNanaof5

• 500 plus
  • 630 posts
Welcome to DF...Glad you joined our family. I can't comment on what type 2's should or should not do. But sometimes not having it would be worse on you if you did not. It's only my opinion but I don't see how that could hurt you if you just "murder a small kitten" once a month.That's just 12 kittens a year...(I can't believe I wrote that!!) Nana's just joking... Don't let this be you last post. Lots of info here for you and your wife to learn.
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

{{{HUGS}}},

LINDA

DX Type 1 - June 16, 2006
A1c - 14.2 6/06
A1c - 6.5 2/07
Lantus 20 u a.m. / 8 u p.m.
Novalog 1 u for 30 carbs
+ sliding scale b4 meals
Symlin 20u b4 meals

Sothron

Sothron

• 500 plus
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts
Sadly my parents are always horrorified when they "catch me" eating anything that has carbs in it or has sugar in it. They have some elderly people at their church that have filled their head with these stories that a diabetic can never, ever, ever eat sugar and its just complete nonsense. But my parents accept it as Gospel truth and I really wish I could take a digital pic of their faces when I'm eating something like say ice cream. They really think I'm harming myself and give me a moral lecture even when I can physically show them on my meter that my blood sugar is just fine.

I realize its comical to you guys but its very frustrating for me. Especially for holidays or when they visit my wife and I and we go to DQ because they don't have one in their town and we all grew up loving their food. I didn't stop loving ice cream and I've never thought once a month trips to DQ were harmful to me. I wish I could get them to read this thread.

mg_2204

mg_2204

• 500 plus
  • 3,271 posts

They really think I'm harming myself and give me a moral lecture.

Don't you hate lectures? I sure do! I figure... I'm 43, I can make my own decisions.

It's easy to give lectures. My husband is really good at it. In my opinion, it just sends the wrong message to me. It tells me I am incapable of managing my own life. Lectures don't do anything. They sure don't bring out the best in me!! So I can relate. And I don't find this comical at all. I know all about frustration.

I don't think a bit of ice cream now and then can harm you. I always make a decision about stuff like that depending on how my sugars have been doing. And I try not to over do it. Getting enough exercise afterwards helps bringing the levels down too.

Ever tried frozen yogurt? My sugars behave better when I have it. When I have rice or pasta my sugars go up the curtains, and much MUCH higher than what ice cream can do. But no one frowns when I have rice or pasta. :dontknow:

Perhaps it would help to have a good long conversation with your parents about diabetes? Tell them how those lectures make you feel... and how they sure don't help you. Maybe they'll keep lecturing you until you 'see the light'? Yikes! I can understand they are worried about your health. I don't know about you but I need support. Not lectures.

The very best to you!

lgvincent

lgvincent

• 500 plus
  • 4,978 posts
Those things are pretty big. I see no harm in eating a portion of it and saving the rest for later although it will become as hard as a rock in the freezer.
Brandy
My Little Princess
August 18, 1990 - May 3, 2006

Posted Image

Say you'll share with
me one
love, one lifetime . . .
Lead me, save me
from my solitude . . .

Say you want me
with you ,
here beside you . . .
Anywhere you go
let me go to . . .
Christine,
that's all I ask of . . .
(you)

shanda

shanda

• 500 plus
  • 307 posts
I agree that we all need a treat once in awhile. The key being "once in awhile". Obviously we can't eat like that every day, but I think we'd go nuts if could NEVER again have a taste of something we really enjoy.

I too have had real ice cream now and then, not often, but enough to feel good about treating myself. I try to exercise a bit more when I do indulge and so far I have had no poor side effects at all. I will sometimes go 3 or 4 months without a treat, as a personal choice, but when I WANT one, I will have it.

Enjoy your treat, it's clear that you're aware you can't do it everyday, so just enjoy ~~~

That's my 2 cents (Canadian) ;)
Diagnosed Type 2 - Feb. 14, 2006
Metformin 500mg 2X a day

sweetcheeks

sweetcheeks

• 500 plus
  • 992 posts
i just had ice cream and cake last night, hehehe

my hubby's b-day was 12/12 and i bought him some cupcakes and some breyers ice cream

i had ate dinner, a light dinner, waited an hour and then had one cupcake (28 carbs, and 1 scoop of neopolitan ice cream (16 carbs), now normally i would only eat the cupcake but hey, how can you have birthday cake without ice cream?? my sugars didnt rise too bad because i ate a really light dinner i was 140 after eating it and tested an 2 hour later
Stacey

1st A1c 10/2006 8.9
2nd A1c 1/2007 5.5
3rd A1c 4/2007 5.3
4th A1c 7/2007 5.5
5th A1c 4/2008 5.1
Latest A1c 10/2010 5.2

sweetcheeks

sweetcheeks

• 500 plus
  • 992 posts

I wish I could get them to read this thread.

print it out?? lol
Stacey

1st A1c 10/2006 8.9
2nd A1c 1/2007 5.5
3rd A1c 4/2007 5.3
4th A1c 7/2007 5.5
5th A1c 4/2008 5.1
Latest A1c 10/2010 5.2

Sothron

Sothron

• 500 plus
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts
They wouldn't pay it any attention. Unless a doctor told them to their faces that it was ok for me to eat a sugar snack every now and then as long as my blood sugar is doing good they would not believe it.

David_S

David_S

• 500 plus
  • 204 posts
I just looked it up at calorieking.com This is for a medium cookie dough blizzard.. 146 carbs.. I have about 30 at a meal. Even if if I ate half.. it would do me in. Not a good choice for me. I would pass on this myself.

large (1 lb 3.8 oz) medium (15.7 oz) small (11.3 oz) oz g

(What's CD) CD:
Calories 1007(Kilojoules 4208)

% Daily
Value*
Total Fat 39.1 g 60%
Saturated Fat 19.6 g 98%
Trans Fatty Acids 3.5 g
Cholesterol 70 mg 23%
Sodium 517 mg 22%
Total Carbohydrates 146.8 g 49% Dietary Fiber 0 g 0%
Sugars 109.1 g
Protein 16.8 g
Calcium 489.3 mg
Note: A dash indicates no data is available.

Report Incorrect Nutritional Information Calorie Breakdown
This table shows you where the calories in this food come from.

Calories from Fat 352 (35%)
Calories from Carbohydrate 587 (58%)
Calories from Protein 67 (7%)
Calories from Alcohol 0 (0%)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Diagnosed 1.5 10/20/06
Pittsburgh,PA.
Lantus 10 units PM
Novolog to scale and 2 units at dinner

A1C 10/23/2006 14.2 :eek2:
A1c 03/23/2007 6.3 :nurse:
A1c 02/25/08 6.1 ;)
A1c 06/26/08 6.3 :smile:
A1c 10/23/08 6.5 :dontknow:

Larry H.

Larry H.

• 500 plus
  • 789 posts

They wouldn't pay it any attention. Unless a doctor told them to their faces that it was ok for me to eat a sugar snack every now and then as long as my blood sugar is doing good they would not believe it.

Go to the Medline site on the net, they link to all kinds of Diabetes groups, they have information in there that tells how many carbs they recommend and will also say that in moderation you can eat about anything as long as your total carbs for that meal stay in line. I have been eating the no sugar added low fat and my overall glucose and weight have gone down because I work it into the amount recommended and walk about a half an hour a day. Some say more walking will help even more. Not on any meds at this time and trying to avoid that day.
Print out those above groups guidelines for the wife and inlaws.

sweetcheeks

sweetcheeks

• 500 plus
  • 992 posts
just because one person one neccesarily wouldnt eat it doesnt mean no one can, for example

i eat taco bell 3 times a week, where as most of you guys say white tortilla's eat you guys up, im hardly ever over 140 even after the meal and i eat 60 - 70 carbs each meal...

i say eat and test lol if its too high either walk it off or get a medium next time and then split, so he can still have his treat
Stacey

1st A1c 10/2006 8.9
2nd A1c 1/2007 5.5
3rd A1c 4/2007 5.3
4th A1c 7/2007 5.5
5th A1c 4/2008 5.1
Latest A1c 10/2010 5.2

Funnygrl

Funnygrl

• 500 plus
  • 6,763 posts
Last time I went to DQ I took a huge sum of insulin and still stayed at over 200 for a few hours afterwards.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users