Mods, sticky this if you wish.

Do you think you might have diabetes?

First, see if you suffer from some of the following symptoms:

*Raging thirst
*Frequent need to urinate
*Rapid weight loss
*Blurry vision
*Fatigue

One of these on their own doesn't really mean anything. Several all at the same time might.

I have all the symptoms! Does that mean I have diabetes?

No-one here on this forum can answer this question for you. As a group we might know a thing or two about diabetes but there is only ONE group of people on the whole planet that can tell you whether you have diabetes or not - doctors.

If you think you have diabetes, don't umm and ahh about it. Don't bother getting some blood or urine testing kit from a pharmacy - at the most they'll point you in the right direction but they're by no means definitive. Don't kid yourself that you don't like doctors or hospitals. No-one does. But they're here to help.

IF YOU THINK YOU HAVE DIABETES BUT AREN'T SURE, GO AND SEE A DOCTOR.

Then we'll be able to help you with all the rest.
Want to know the symptoms of diabetes, or find out if you have diabetes? Click here
Don't understand a word or term used in a forum thread? Click here
Want to know if you can drink with diabetes? Click here and here

Scratch

Scratch

• 500 plus
  • 2,088 posts
Yeah, might not be bad to have some sort of thread that briefly explains the symptoms, and the tests, along with the importance of consulting a doctor when having symptoms which may be indicative of diabetes.

Harold

Harold

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 6,116 posts
Not Symptoms, but something you may have noticed, I did before a type 2 Dx.

Minor wounds, scrapes and scratches, that use to take days to a week to heal and disappear now take weeks to months to disappear.

Colds, not the annoying type of cold that goes away in two weeks. That you can ignore as long as you keep moving and keep your mind off of it. Talking about the cold you would describe as the "Cold From Hell." The kind that involves the entire respiratory system. The kind that keeps coming back every month, or will start in the Fall and last well into Winter no matter what you do for it. You will or have called it the flu, a respiratory flu, but antibiotics will not touch it.

Weight Gain and Loss, that is not normal or usual going into the Winter months. Not talking about the several or a few pounds you normally see gaining or loosing with the season changes. What I am talking about is dozens of pounds that you gained, and lost only part of it with the seasons change. The number 1 reason weight is blamed for type 2. The medical community treats it as a cause rather than a symptom. Because they see it after the fact. Just MHO!

Good Idea Deus and timely.

Funnygrl

Funnygrl

• 500 plus
  • 6,758 posts
I'm so glad we have a sticky on this now. I'm sick of seeing a new post every week about someone who thinks they have diabetes and wants the internet to diagnose them instead of going to see a doctor and getting a real test. I don't care if you don't like doctors or hospitals or blood or needles or whatever. Just go, damn it. And btw, nurse practitionars and PAs can make medical diagnosises too, at least in the US ;)

BobbyT

BobbyT

• 500 plus
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts
I think it's a good idea to have a finger prick BG test every time you see your doctor, or at least once a year. It's painless, inexpensive, and could possible catch rising bg levels before they get too bad.
9/06 A1C 7.0 12/06 A1C 5.0
8/07 A1C 4.9

Eri's mom

Eri's mom

• 500 plus
  • 2,037 posts
I have 4 out of 5 of those symptoms all the time.
I just had my glucose tolerance test and am now being sent to an endo (results weren't that great). I've been dealing w/ these dang hypoglycemic episodes so much more frequently lately. Todays was not fun. I was all shakey, blurred vision, etc...took my bg b/c I had to drive to work, was at 73 ,so not so bad...just couldn't focus or stop shaking. Got to work, had a broiled fish w/ some fries, took my reading, was up to 139 b/c I was still shaking really bad, had a massive headache, my vision is STILL blurry (an dthat was over 2.5 hours ago)...and my head feels like it's been crushed in a door.(yes, have had that happen).
Everyone kept looking at me and asking if I was ok...they said I was visibly shaking, so I assume that's not too good.
I know I deal w/ Eri and lows and whatnot, but when you deal w/ the lows yourself it's like, wow, what the heck do I do to feel better? I was so nauseated at one point I had to leave the restaurant. Now I can't seem to quench this thirst and I feel like a dork for feeling this way. I'm used to taking care of Eri, not having to deal w/ myself.
Either way, I'm not stressing over what I'll be told. Life goes on and we deal w/ what is given to us, right?

DEEJ_2791

DEEJ_2791

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi i am ashley AKA DEEJ

I have had almost every symtom on that list but they all were not at the same time. My symtoms were in combinations like blurry vision extreme thirst and fatigue. Then during the winter i lose wieght like crazy not even funny and frequent need to urinate but parents think it is nothing but in the past 6 weeks i have past out about 4 times and each time i did i was at work out for my softball team and i was wondering if any of those things are connected to the passing out thing? If you guys have an answer i am willing to listen.

Thank you

DeusXM

DeusXM

Grumpy Briton

• 500 plus
  • 5,945 posts
  • I am a:Type 1
Sorry if this sounds a bit blunt, but as I said in the original post, if you're concerned, go see a doctor.

We can help you AFTER a diagnosis, not before.
Want to know the symptoms of diabetes, or find out if you have diabetes? Click here

tmef

tmef

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Not Symptoms, but something you may have noticed, I did before a type 2 Dx.

Minor wounds, scrapes and scratches, that use to take days to a week to heal and disappear now take weeks to months to disappear.

Colds, not the annoying type of cold that goes away in two weeks. That you can ignore as long as you keep moving and keep your mind off of it. Talking about the cold you would describe as the "Cold From Hell." The kind that involves the entire respiratory system. The kind that keeps coming back every month, or will start in the Fall and last well into Winter no matter what you do for it. You will or have called it the flu, a respiratory flu, but antibiotics will not touch it.

Weight Gain and Loss, that is not normal or usual going into the Winter months. Not talking about the several or a few pounds you normally see gaining or loosing with the season changes. What I am talking about is dozens of pounds that you gained, and lost only part of it with the seasons change. The number 1 reason weight is blamed for type 2. The medical community treats it as a cause rather than a symptom. Because they see it after the fact. Just MHO!

Good Idea Deus and timely.

Oh I'm so glad someone else has the chronic chest infection thing going on. I've had it all last year and no antibiotic on the planet has helped. Going to the doc again next week. What have you done when you have it?

Harold

Harold

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 6,116 posts

Oh I'm so glad someone else has the chronic chest infection thing going on. I've had it all last year and no antibiotic on the planet has helped. Going to the doc again next week. What have you done when you have it?

Later, late tonight or tomorrow, when I have time to do it right, and I'll start a new thread to keep this one on topic.

Mister Q

Mister Q

• 500 plus
  • 479 posts
From my personal experience, I got a hunger I was unable to satisfy and ate and ate and ate, of course my weight ballooned. Also I never felt 100% right in myself and I could never understand why I felt worse on holiday (I was eating more of the wrong stuff) and I had an nasty abscess on my chest which would not heal.

Its reckoned the average time from developing Type 2 diabetes to diagnoses is 7 years in the UK.

Bottom line is like Deus says if your in doubt get checked out.
"Two things are infinite: The universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."

Albert Einstein 1879 - 1955

mzizgayle

mzizgayle

• 500 plus
  • 348 posts
There can be other symptoms, I had muscle aches that could not be explained, especially when I exercised, it took me days to recover and I had not changed my exercise routine....my muscles were storing sugar. I had the neuropathy of the feet that doctors kept saying were from other causes...if you think something is out of wack, get into your doctor's face if you have to. I would get a cold every year that lasted for months (didn't this year!), I had unusual weight gain of 20 lbs in five years. In the background of my mind, I knew something just was not right.

I have to accept part of this since I guess I didn't get into my doctor's face enough to force the issue to check further into my symptoms I accepted the fact they should know....once a year A1C test was not enough to say I did not have diabetes....it was just in control at the time of the tests. I am lucky I do not have complications other than the neuropathy of the feet. I had to go almost blind for them to think something was wrong when my sugars finally went out of control since my diabetes progressed to the next level

cheryl

cheryl

• 500 plus
  • 1,432 posts
oh the anger of some people, wow, I never get annoyed if people are asking advice that are not quote on quote diabetic yet. Might not know there situation, no insurance or as broke as I can be and are singling out some fear so they don't have to spend there food money.......darn i guess I know what it is like to be in denial or so broke I can't make ends meet. wow, wow wow,

cheryl
Don't know who I want as president, but I know I don't want to live like a communist....ENOUGH SAID.....

March a1c 6.4
Pumper 522 with Humalog

DeusXM

DeusXM

Grumpy Briton

• 500 plus
  • 5,945 posts
  • I am a:Type 1
It's not a question of 'anger', it's a question of providing people with the best advice. We simply can't diagnose diabetes over a forum and invariably people come here asking a question we simply can't answer for them. Those people need to be pointed in the right direction ie. towards a doctor.

I would also point out that generally (but not always) the people who come here asking if they have diabetes or not also tend to start making lots of excuses whenever they're told to see a doctor - things like 'I can't afford it' or 'I don't have time' or 'I don't like doctors'. Being firm but fair is the best way of solving that problem, and ensures that their health isn't endangered.

cheryl

cheryl

• 500 plus
  • 1,432 posts
True, very true, I just thought differently, because I know what it is like to be in such denial. But I get what your saying......
Don't know who I want as president, but I know I don't want to live like a communist....ENOUGH SAID.....

March a1c 6.4
Pumper 522 with Humalog

lewsterr

lewsterr

• 500 plus
  • 383 posts
You hit the nail on the head with this thread, Deus. The questions coming from those 'thinking' they are diabetic are getting old. Maybe the moderator(s) can put this in a more prominent place on the web page so everyone, especially first-time visitors, can see it immediately. Maybe above the heading for Introductions? In a more eye-catching color? I can see that, leaving it where it is, it may be overlooked by many.

Posted Image

Metformin ER - 1000 mg 2x/day
Avapro - 75 mg/day
Lipitor - 40 mg/day
Aspirin 81 mg - 2x/day

princesslinda

princesslinda

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 15,594 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN
  • I am a:Type 2
Great thread Deus...very nicely done. I haven't seen this thread before today. I think fear of diagnosis is a very powerful thing, and people are looking for reassurance that everything will be okay. We can give that reassurance, AFTER we know what they are dealing with, no before. If we reassure too well, someone might not seek the help they need.

Again, great job!

T2, diagnosed 8/31/06.
Meds: Metformin-ER 500 mg twice daily, HCTZ 12.5 mg every other day for BP Enalapril 20 mg 1 daily (ace-inhibitor)
Diet: I eat to my meter, generally eating 75-100 carbs/day with the occasional splurge.

jerryn

jerryn

• 500 plus
  • 634 posts
If a person is in denial they should go buy a cheapo meter that come with strips and test! The A1C test got me out of denial, there's no denying that! Now I test 6 times/day

Goldrun

Goldrun

• 500 plus
  • 116 posts
I get everyone's point on the folks who ask questions here before they are diagnosed...but a website like this one really saved my butt just before I was diagnosed.

My situation was that I was caretaker to my mom who was in the last stages of cancer...I took a leave of absence during her last two months. In that time period, I wasn't eating as much as I normally would...nor was I eating out in restaurants. As a result, I lost weight. NOt a big concern at the time.

After I lost my mom, I picked up my exercise regimen again, and threw myself into work. Continued to lose weight, but figured that was due to stress. I traveled to Europe and while there finally began to put the pieces together....lost 25 pounds, but was eating two desserts a day (insatiable hunger)...and 'finally' realized that my thirst was just a wee bit abnormal (2 liters of water in a night along with about 4 during the day suddenly struck me as odd)....

I logged onto a website and exchanged some great notes with some folks that helped me limp back to the States, where I was diagnosed with an a1c of >13. (I'm guessing the only thing that kept me from keeling over was the fact that I was exercising every day). Honestly, I was scared, alone and had no idea what to eat or how to go about checking my blood sugar myself (the things we are so accustomed to, the average non-diabetic has NOOOOOO clue about)...having someone respond to my post telling me to reduce my carbohydrate intake and drink lots more water to avoid dehydration was pretty darn comforting.

While the list of symptoms is a great thing to have as a sticky, you can't underestimate the impact of hearing someone who has been there...and come out the other side. It surely helped me out!

I agree that not everyone who asks is actually diagnosed...and that it can get tiresome, but as a community this one has been pretty nurturing! (so I suppose this can be taken as a lame thanks to everyone whose ever replied to any of my learning curve questions!) ;)

ZhaoZiJi

ZhaoZiJi

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I'm glad i saw this thread first thing after joining here.
I have all the symtoms except for weightloss:eek: At least i haven't noticed any weightloss... Started feeling something was wrong 2 days ago. Came like lightning from clear sky. Started to feel extremely thirsty- had 2 liters of water in about 1 hour and went to toilet every 15 minutes or so. Probably had close to 5 liters of water in total in one afternoon and evening and went to toilet maybe 20 times:eek: Yesterday was about the same... My vision is slightly blurry, my whole body feels worn out, have a headache almost all the time. Not long after lunch yesterday i felt hungry again. and 1h after dinner i was so hungry again i had to have a sandwich, and then i went to sleep. woke up before 6am this morning, went to toilet, had some water, and couldn't go back to sleep again until i have had breakfast and now i feel a bit nauseaus. I know i know, i should go see a doctor, and i'm going to. But i have one question... If it is diabetes, can it the symtoms really come so fast:confused:

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users