Photo

How much is considered excessive urination and thirst?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

Nussbrand1937

Nussbrand1937

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Above what amount of urinations per day would you consider the individual having an abnormal amount? Likewise, how many liters of water-intake per day would you consider related to "unquenchable thirst"?

Stuboy

Stuboy

• Seniors
  • 1,956 posts
when we say excessive where diabetes is concerned, we're not really talking about times per days... we're talkin every 20-30 mins with a full bladder!! (in my case, very 20mins)

Thirst... well, put it this way, in ONE HOUR i got through 3liters of juice a week before diagnosis.

When you're mouth is real "dry", it feels like you've "run out" of saliva, nasty STICKY gloop in your mouth instead.

when it gets to that point you're pretty much on the verge of DKA i think...
Stu
Posted Image
Posted Image
Type 1 Since 24.07.2006
Pumping NovoRapid with Animas 2020MDI- Levemir & NovoRapidMDI - Lantus & NovoRapidMixtard 30

Posted Image Ya gots to work with what ya gots to work with!

mark-TN

mark-TN

• Members
  • 387 posts
Stu described it to a T. The thirst is just unquenchable. The more you drink the thirstier you get. I was peeing every 20-30 minutes before dx also. I had "the feeling" to pee constantly but would hold off as long as I could and my bladder would be stretched to the limit after 30 minutes.

Mark
Type 1 since 9/1974. On MDI: Lantus in am and pm, Novolin R at meals, Novolog for corrections. Following Dr. Richard Bernstein's program since May 2003.

Web based BG Log (Google Spreadsheets-Requires Google Account to view and to save a copy for use):
mg/dl version / mmol version /// My Diabetes Story - Sign My Guestbook

DeusXM

DeusXM

DF member for 11 years

• Seniors
  • 6,347 posts
  • I am a:Type 1
Look, I really can't stress this enough.

IF YOU ARE WORRIED YOU MIGHT HAVE DIABETES, GO AND SEE A DOCTOR.
Want to know the symptoms of diabetes, or find out if you have diabetes? Click here
Don't understand a word or term used in a forum thread? Click here
Want to know if you can drink with diabetes? Click here and here

mark-TN

mark-TN

• Members
  • 387 posts
Yes definitely if you think there is any possibility that you have diabetes take Deus's advise and go see a doctor. There is no way to get a diagnoses on a message board.

Mark
Type 1 since 9/1974. On MDI: Lantus in am and pm, Novolin R at meals, Novolog for corrections. Following Dr. Richard Bernstein's program since May 2003.

Web based BG Log (Google Spreadsheets-Requires Google Account to view and to save a copy for use):
mg/dl version / mmol version /// My Diabetes Story - Sign My Guestbook

2high

2high

• Seniors
  • 3,455 posts

Look, I really can't stress this enough.

Ditto

Seriously, as much as we want to help people, we aren't medical professionals. And even those who ARE, can't diagnose you over the www. Symptoms like excessive thirst and urination NEED to be checked out by a doctor!!!!

Katie - T1 since age 8, October 1992.

Mum to Riley, 19th August 2010, and Koby, 23 October 2013

Cyborg

Cyborg

• Seniors
  • 7,866 posts
Getting up at night to urinate several times is probably excessive.

grace girl

grace girl

• Seniors
  • 1,500 posts
For me it was more a matter of total paranoia if I didn't have something to drink with me at all times. It was like being horribly addicted to liquids. If I was out and about and had a bottled water with me that was at the half-way point I got down right edgy until I had another full bottle right there.
Within two weeks I knew where every public restroom in town was...and here at home everyone was glad we had two bathrooms because I was usually in one of them. Got up 4-6 times nightly, as well.
I think EXTREME thirst better describes it.

Stuboy

Stuboy

• Seniors
  • 1,956 posts

For me it was more a matter of total paranoia if I didn't have something to drink with me at all times. It was like being horribly addicted to liquids. If I was out and about and had a bottled water with me that was at the half-way point I got down right edgy until I had another full bottle right there.
Within two weeks I knew where every public restroom in town was...and here at home everyone was glad we had two bathrooms because I was usually in one of them. Got up 4-6 times nightly, as well.
I think EXTREME thirst better describes it.

Exactly how i felt as well, I never thought about it being Diabetes, i though i was becoming addicted to liquids over food. Dreading going to calls on the 1st floor where i work because i was so drained of energy it was HARD to walk up the stairs!

As everyone has said, you just cannot get a diagnosis off of the internet, you MUST see a doctor, if you have these symptoms we're describing... to the same extent, you're dangerously close to colapsing into a coma, you could have ketones that can kill you, we can't stress enough how serious it is to SEE A DOCTOR.
Stu
Posted Image
Posted Image
Type 1 Since 24.07.2006
Pumping NovoRapid with Animas 2020MDI- Levemir & NovoRapidMDI - Lantus & NovoRapidMixtard 30

Posted Image Ya gots to work with what ya gots to work with!

xMenace

xMenace

• Seniors
  • 11,125 posts
It doesn't subside. It becomes more frequent every day, and the thirst builds and builds. The weight loss accelerates. Then we assimilate you:stupido2:

Virginia Woolf: “Consider how common illness is, how tremendous the spiritual change that it brings, how astonishing, when the lights of health go down, the undiscovered countries that are then disclosed, what wastes and deserts of the soul a slight attack of influenza brings to view, what precipices and lawns sprinkled with bright flowers a little rise of temperature reveals, what ancient and obdurate oaks are uprooted in us by the act of sickness, how we go down in the pit of death and feel the waters of annihilation close above our heads and wake thinking to find ourselves in the presence of the angels and the harpers when we have a tooth out and come to the surface in the dentist's arm-chair and confuse his "Rinse the mouth-rinse the mouth" with the greeting of the Deity stooping from the floor of Heaven to welcome us - when we think of this, as we are so frequently forced to think of it, it becomes strange indeed that illness has not taken its place with love and battle and jealousy among the prime themes of literature”
Back on MDI and doing well. Trying Victoza and loving it. A1C 6.0, no major hypos; a few highs; lots of shots. Diagnosed Oct 19th, 1975.
HDL-101; LDL-64; TG-36; TOT-172

LauRa Lu

LauRa Lu

• Seniors
  • 1,217 posts

Thirst... well, put it this way, in ONE HOUR i got through 3liters of juice a week before diagnosis.

I remember the night before i took myself to hospital I drank 3 liters of friut juice in one go, literally one after the other and then feeling sick and ready to explode. I remember feeling like there was no room for the the third one but I still wanted it. And for some reason it didn't seem as insane at the time as it does thinking about it now. I suppose i was already used to drinking near that much anyway just not all in one go. Even being in a bath I once contemplated drinking the water... liquid of any kind anywhere is all good when undiagnosed lol

OMG THIS WAS ALL BANG ON 3 YEARS AGO. i GOT DIAGNOSED ON NEWYEARS DAY.

HAPPY DIAGNOSIS DAY TO ME :help:

:hahaha: :bebored::sheep:
----------------------------

The pages I've turned are the lessons I've learned - The rest is still unwritten..

duck

duck

• Seniors
  • 6,671 posts
I remember the "thirst" being worse than "thirst". It was almost like an itch, or a buzz, deep down where "thirst" normally was. And as everyone has stated, no matter how much I drank, I was thirsty. I was thirsty when I was still drinking, LOL.
Look what you've done to this rock-n-roll clown!

Dan Gato

Dan Gato

• Members
  • 458 posts
Good thread.
Thanks to all for your comments.
I'm glad my thirst is not a problem & as for urinating, at least I don't get up at night to go.

Funnygrl

Funnygrl

• Seniors
  • 6,763 posts
I would never leave home without a water bottle, my fear of the thirst was so much. I would sleep with a gallon of water next to my bed, and get up to urinate 3x a night. I counted how much I drank some days, and it was often 4 to 10 gallons.

tanyatype1

tanyatype1

• Seniors
  • 1,889 posts
I was drinking sweet, beautiful lemonaid by the gallon! Didn't even want to share or use a glass! hehehe!
:coffee:

Happiness isn't getting what you want.....
It's wanting what you've got.

notme

notme

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 13,288 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
  • I am a:Type 1
Excessive thirst isn't even a good description. Like everyone else here, I couldn't go ANYWHERE without a glass in my hand. It was very evident to me because I was a camel before I got diabetes. I could sometimes go an entire day without a drink and I had to force liquids down. I hated water and drank milk when I was thirsty. Then came the day when I would drink three and four glasses of water in a half hour and want more. I knew it was odd and not at all a behavior that was normal for me. I would go to bed at night with two glasses of water by my bed and knew that it would not be enough, but any more would look really odd. It was an unbelievable craving. The peeing was as ridiculous. I also knew every public restroom within a 20 mile radius of my home.

Sounds like we all have basically the same story. Not really excessive thirst. I think that is a "nice" medical term. More like obsessive about water.

Call on Wednesday and get an appointment. Trying to figure out what is wrong can be frustrating and you can be completely wrong.

I hope you find the answers quickly.
RIP My beautiful boy.

maxwellsmiles1.jpg

Nancy

“I don't expect everything to be handed to me. Just set it down anywhere.”.

diagnosed type 1 October 1986
currently using Medtronic MiniMed
Revel 723 with CGMS
CLEAR [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Chris Graham

Chris Graham

• Members
  • 157 posts
My husband and I were house hunting at the time. I remember that we couldn't leave the house without a bottle of water, or an "addict like plan" to stop and get one before we did anything else. Nothing would quench my thirst. I also had to get up several times a night to per and then, of course, drink more water.

Nussbrand1937

Nussbrand1937

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Thanks for all your answers.
Like I said in the other topic, I already scheduled an appointment for Jan, 2nd.
I just went to eat Indian. I've eaten bread and rice - after approx. 1h my chest started itching again :(

andypoo

andypoo

• Seniors
  • 1,865 posts

It doesn't subside. It becomes more frequent every day, and the thirst builds and builds. The weight loss accelerates. Then we assimilate you:stupido2:

Exactly! I felt as if everything I drank ran straight thru. I was even throwing it up,too. It was a frenzied,panicky feeling,as if I would die any moment if I didn't replenish the liquid I had lost, and the dryness and dehydration was constant ,while my eyesight slowly dwindled.

spring

spring

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts
andypoo - good call on the 'straight through' aspect... and not even necessarily in a drinking and peeing way, just that every swallow of liquid was just as unsatisfying as the one the prior. The feeling that what was currently sliding down your throat was as useless as air, so unquenchable was the thirst.

Laura Lu - that's funny about the three litres bit. I recall becoming a bit of a freak show spectacle for friends, and while over at a sleep over I took a four litre jug of skim milk and chugged the whole thing in the space of a few minutes, stoping only to catch my breath. (Won any water drinking contests at birthday parties that year ;) )

Type One
Diagnosed: March 1997, at age 11
Formerly on NPH;
as of December 26, 2006, using Levemir and Humalog

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users