- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

whimper

whimper

• 500 plus
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts
My toes get extremely itchy in between especailly at night time. I went to my GP about it and he gave me a cream for athletes foot. I tried it, and it didn't work. So i figured that that was not the case. Next, i went to see the neurologist and was reffered to get a EMG/Nerve conduction test for my legs. No problem there as well. I told my endo about it and was told to put corn starch on my toes when it gets itchy. ( My toes get itchy sweaty or not).
I don' have a proper diagnonses for my itchy toes and was wondering if anyone else had this similar problem.
Type one since 1988
Living life to its fullest!

Penny

Penny

• 500 plus
  • 6,653 posts
We had an earlier discussion about this, you might search for it. I had itches that just would not stop, found out by accident, taking a couple of aspirins stopped it right away.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Love doesn't make the world go around, but it makes the ride worthwhile.

jen_slc

jen_slc

• 500 plus
  • 1,039 posts
This might be related to your problems with yeast infections that you mentioned in another thread. You said the cream for athlete's foot didn't work.... but that doesn't mean it isn't athlete's foot. I think it's possible that, given your problem with constant yeast infections and treating those, you've built up resistance to these antifungals and therefore fungal infections elsewhere on your body are less likely, or are not going to, respond to the usual treatment. What was the chemical name and % of the cream you tried on your toes?
T1 20 years, on Lantus, Apidra and Regular.

"Nothing shocks me. I'm a scientist."

whimper

whimper

• 500 plus
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts
HI jen slc.
Omg...more to do with yeast? lol. One thing to another.

He gave me: 30 GM Ketoderm Cream 2%
Ketoconazole 2%

Do you think i am immune to antifungal creams?

Thank you for replying back :D
Type one since 1988

jen_slc

jen_slc

• 500 plus
  • 1,039 posts
Ketoconazole (athlete's foot cream, Nizoral dandruff shampoo), miconazole (yeast infection cream like Monistat) and fluconazole (yeast infection pill called Diflucan) are all related - they all work the same way to kill off the yeast, so yes, it may be possible that you've built up a resistance (as have I) and that's why this cream isn't working on your toes.

I had suggested boric acid capsules for treating yeast infection, so I'm wondering if you can't also use it for your toes? Here's what I found when I googled it. It sounds like soaking your feet in a mild solution of boric acid might help:

"Boric acid is an extremely effective fungicide and often cures Athlete's Foot in cases where creams have failed. Mix boric acid and rubbing alcohol in the ratio 2 tsp boric acid to 1 cup of rubbing alcohol. Apply with cotton swabs (or 'Q-tips')."
T1 20 years, on Lantus, Apidra and Regular.

"Nothing shocks me. I'm a scientist."

pinkytricia

pinkytricia

• 500 plus
  • 730 posts
Whimper,
This is what I use on my toes and any kind rashes and girl rash (if you know what I mean... ) It would really bother me in between my toes and nail beds... Now, that I don't have super high BG's it doesn't bother me anymore.

Gelmicin
Betametasona?Clortrimazol/Gentamicina (ingrediants)
Crema

Pharma RX
Grupo Farmacéutico (I went there but it was all in spanish)
$3.75 in American Money

If I find out what it is in English I'll PM you.... k

whimper

whimper

• 500 plus
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts
"Boric acid is an extremely effective fungicide and often cures Athlete's Foot in cases where creams have failed. Mix boric acid and rubbing alcohol in the ratio 2 tsp boric acid to 1 cup of rubbing alcohol. Apply with cotton swabs (or 'Q-tips')."[/QUOTE]

I will for sure try this method! Thank you so much! It is so kind of you to research all this for me :) I greatly appriciate it!
Type one since 1988

whimper

whimper

• 500 plus
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Whimper,
This is what I use on my toes and any kind rashes and girl rash (if you know what I mean... ) It would really bother me in between my toes and nail beds... Now, that I don't have super high BG's it doesn't bother me anymore.

Gelmicin
Betametasona?Clortrimazol/Gentamicina (ingrediants)
Crema

Pharma RX
Grupo Farmacéutico (I went there but it was all in spanish)
$3.75 in American Money

If I find out what it is in English I'll PM you.... k

Thank you pinkytricia!
Even though my BG is controlled my toes get itchy. It's very wierd how they get extremly itchy at night time (in bed), o yeah, they also get itchy when i wear socks and shoes.
Type one since 1988

destekman

destekman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
I have researched this so many times my self trying to find the ultimate cure. I have tried almost everything..... and felt insane and helpless. I read on another site rubbing oil (any kind) baby, or olive.... on your feet. It takes a few seconds but it does go away. At least it did for me. I certainly hope it does for you. I know it is an incredible annoying thing to have to go thru.

Good luck to you all.
J

notme

notme

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 13,137 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
  • I am a:Type 1
I worry that your doctor has told you to put corn starch on your feet. Corn starch or talcum powder will hold the moisture against your skin and cause sores. Corn starch is a food base product that can cause infection.

How long did you use the anti-fungal before you came to the conclusion that it did not work? Athletes foot or any fungal infection can take time to clear up. You need to use these creams for at least a week to a week and a half before you see results.

My father has a ton of problems with his feet and he is seeing a podiatrist for his issues. Could you get a referral to a podiatrist?
maxwellsmiles1.jpg

Nancy

“I don't expect everything to be handed to me. Just set it down anywhere.”.

diagnosed type 1 October 1986
currently using Medtronic MiniMed
Revel 723 with CGMS
CLEAR [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

cece

cece

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
I have also been suffering from the itchy toes syndrome. My toes, around the nail bed, in between, and on the back of my toes itch really badly, especially at night. I have had this problem off and on for about two years. I have looked closely at my toes and they are not dry or sweaty. They are normal. But they itch like crazy and I don't know what to do. It feels relief when I run hot water over them or take a wet washcloth and rub it over and over it. Does anybody have these symptoms?

Vince Duncan

Vince Duncan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
all of my toes except for my big toe is itchy. Its an on and off thing. is it athlete's foot?Is it caused by me taking hot showers or wearing flats....?

Mandie

Mandie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Hello all,
I am new and thought to say hi to everyone and to put across my concern; maybe someone is going through the same thing and can help me out.
I have these white pumps on my toes. they look like corns but they are not, and they itch occasionally, especially after taking off my shoes after a long day. It looks really bad i cant comfortably wear open toe shoes. Can someone please help me?

UpNorth

UpNorth

• 500 plus
  • 1,393 posts
How convenient this thread was visible just now... I was just about to start a thread about the best house remedy ever for fungus between toes. I just had it between some toes, and was too lazy to get to a pharmacy to buy cream for it- and didn't want to buy expensive creams anyways... So i just took what i had at home. ALCOGEL! Yes, you read it right! Just simple alcogel that you'd normally use for hand desinfection. I've been using alcogel on both my feet now for a few days, on wet or dry feet. And my (pretty bad) toe fungus infection is gone without a trace:D I know why i got the infection in the first place too... I wear protective shoes at work, and the steel part over the toes doesn't let enough air in, imagine that for 8 hours at a time- or more:eek: But anyways. Alcogel is my best ever remedy for those unwanted fungus, and you can use it for other things too, unlike those real fungus creams. I'm such a hygiene nerd i actually do carry either alcogel or wetties with alcohol 99% of the time:T Can never be too clean with all colds, flu's and stomach bugs flying around:eek:
Posted Image

Type1 since october 2004.

MDI: Novorapid and Levemir with Novopen4

Main BG meter: Accu-Chek Compact Plus

hosede

hosede

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
I had identical symptoms - tops of toes red and extrememely itchy at night. I eliminated any allergies by changing diet, I tried anti bacterial creams and also iodine - no effect, but I found dipping the feet in warm water and scrubbing the whole of the toes with a soft nailbrush stopped the itching. Also one or two baby aspirin (75mg)a day prevent it. Aspirin thins the blood and I conclude that this problem is one of poor circulation - scrubbing with the nailbrush gets the circulation going. Insect bite creams helped a bit, but I think it was the act of rubbing them in not the creams themselves. Hope this helps

idwtmat0312

idwtmat0312

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
I know this thread is super old...

but I have this same problem. My feet are extremely itchy. They get so itchy that I start crying! It drives me nuts! I have numerous scars on my toes from itchying constantly and making them bleed. The itch is on top of my toes, sometimes by the nail or on the nail, and along the sides.

They are driving me crazy! Nothing I seem to do relieves the itch. I soak them in Calamine Lotion, nothing. I run water over them, nothing. I sit and itch! Nothing! What do I do??:confused: :(

Subby

Subby

• 500 plus
  • 10,158 posts
Hi idwtmat0312. I'm assuming you're diabetic? Tell us a little about yourself. The first thing I'd ask is, have you seen a doctor about this recently? If not, go.

As for what to do otherwise... how are your sugar levels, what kind of readings do you get? If they are not good, then you may well have the biggest answer to the way to improving this issue, if it is neuropathy/complication related. That is, finding and keeping better BG control.
20 years T1. NPH and Novorapid.
Some essentials for my blood sugar control: dosing via i:c ratio and cf • basal testing when needed • daily 40 minutes moderate exercise (or close) • carbs somewhere below 120g currently • only eating carbs and carb/fat combos that do not cause a problem spike, with or without insulin.

SnickerCat

SnickerCat

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
I am sure going to try all of the suggestions that was posted...starting with the Boric acid, 2 tsp. mixed with 1 cup of rubbing alcohol. That sounds like a good one to me. I have suffered like you all have......I have the same symptoms, the itchy toes, except the big toe for some reason. Very itchy between each toe and in front of the toes with the redness and it does itch more at night for some reason, sometimes some flaky or peeling.....I have tried everything and most creams and even tried anti-fungals herbal approaches with some help. But it didn't completely take it away, in fact maybe a year later it is so much worse that I cannot wear shoes.....and I thought I was the only person in the whole world with this problem. When my brain started functioning better I thought "This couldn't be, there's gotta be more people out there with this problem". So I decided to do a search and I found this website and here you all were, with the same foot problem.

With many solutions to try. I am so fortunate that I live in this world today with a computer. So thank you all! I will try these things and hopefully I will finally get a good nights rest and stop itching.......
Thanks, SnickerCat

Relief

Relief

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Ok im not diabetic but, I had these itchy toes last winter and now this winter I have it again so one sleepless night I decided to go on the internet and investigate.

First place I found was here, I found people with similar symptoms and problem but no real answer, but after further research I found one.

If your toes (often the outer most ones) get itchy in the winter time, especially at night, you've tried all the anti bacterial and fungal medication to no avail.

If their not dry and flakey or have the usual appearance of a fungal infection, instead their red and inflamed in places with some purple in the very itchy places.

Then you may have Chilblains, Chilblains occur when capillary beds in the skin are damaged due to sudden change in temperature and circulatory demands on them (your feet are cold all day in winter then get shocked by a hot shower or heated bed).

Chilblains usually occur in individuals in cold environments, those with poor circulation or is an indication of inadequate diet.

Theres no 'cure' its easiest just to prevent it:

1) Keep your feet warmer during the day (socks and warm foot wear).
2) Before your shower/bath increase circulation in the effected areas with a 5-10min massage.
3) If your like me you enjoy a very hot shower in winter and you like to 'soak' in it, I found lowering the temperature (although still keeping it comfortably warm) and shortening the duration (not rushing) of the shower helped.
4) I've read an aspirin helps (thins blood thus better circulation) however I had no need to try that.

I did 1-3 of the above, with the intention of raising the average temperature of my feet during the day and decreasing the severity of the temperature change at night.

The night before I did this the itch was a 10/10 after one day of doing 1-3, that night the itch was a 2/10 (occasional feeling of an up coming itch remedied by a slight rub) keeping in mind that I was 100% aware of every sensation in my feet and they were still tender from previous days of scratching.

Ill see what tonight yields (hopefully 0-1/10).

Hope this gives those with unsolved toe itch the same relief its given me, because honestly itchy toes pushes your sanity to the limits.

pantel1

pantel1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi antifungal creams are good but of course when your immune to them it's a waste of time. Try Molkosan it's a health drink that you can mix with water or juice. it is better than any antifungal cream, dab lightly on toes neat and I will guarantee you will notice the difference.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users