Photo

what blood glucose reading is too high for a 4 year old??

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

ash13p00h

ash13p00h

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
yes...i'm at the end of my rope! let me explain a little...

my 4 year old, andrew, supposedly has diabetes...don't know which type...the second endrocrinologist suggested controling his sugar levels with a diet - but didn't elaborate on that...so, we tried the 60 carbs a meal deal...he lost 3 pounds in 2 weeks (he's 3'10.5" and currently 54.5 lbs...big boy!)...the dietician basically told us that the doctor was stupid and that andrew needs to be eating exactly the way he was before he was diagnosed...so to my dilema...

we're trying to let him eat more - it's scary though. we basically got thrown into this, and we're just kinda along for the ride. today, after lunch, his glucose was 200. 2 hours after dinner, it went from 219 to 240 within 20 minutes, and he didn't touch a bite! (he's been complaining that he doesn't feel good...that could be why) but, isn't that a little high for a 4 year old? the doctor told us that if it stayed over 200 for 2-3 days to let him know...but isn't that too high for too long for andrew (remember, he's got hydronephrosis and svt)? i'm confused and completely stressed!

darsie9

darsie9

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts
Maybe you could call a nearby hospital and ask to talk with a dietitian.....to explain more about what your son should be eating.....just a suggestion....
Sometimes I think doctors don't know what they're talking about!
"Don't worry about tomorrow...God is already there"

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mama Belle

Mama Belle

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
I can see why you are stressed. It sounds like they still don't really have an answer for you. To answer your question 200 is too high for anyone of any age. However, I don't think a few days at this level is going to cause any immeidate or long term harm. However I am unfamiliar with his other health issues, so I can't say for sure. Bottom line is that I wouldn't let it go for more than a couple of days without getting an answer from someone. If you aren't satisfied with the doctor try to get some referrals from the dieticians for a new one. Good luck!
Heidi
Mom to Samantha, 8, Type 1, dx June '02, last HbA1c - 7.1
MDI, ready to switch to pump

BriOnH

BriOnH

• Seniors
  • 2,607 posts
From what you have posted it sounds like your child is a type 1 diabetic. Has he been tested for keytones, how about a hemeglobin A1C test? What is his waking sugar? That sugar will be key in this.

A 20 point difference at a level > 200 mg/dl can have a variance of +/- (%20) 40 points on standard bgl meters.

ash13p00h

ash13p00h

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
his waking glucose levels vary from the mid 40's (which was scary, and he acts awful when it's that low) to around 100 - but it's usually in the 70's. he's not on insulin at the moment. he's never had ketones show up - even when his bg was 303. i tested last night for them (when his sugar was 240) and it showed negative. i've got an appointment with his pediatrician today - maybe she can help...but, after long discussions with my husband and my parents we do believe we're going to ask to be referred out of area for further testing - maybe to duke...anyone have any suggestions as to a good place around southwest va? we've been to johnson city, tn (that's where he was first diagnosed - in the children's hospital there). any others?

and, i don't want to sound like an idiot - but i forgot last night that most people don't know what svt is (i've had many doctors not even know, and that's scary!) --- svt (supraventricular tachycardia) is basically where the heart races - when it was discovered in andrew at 6 weeks old, his heartrate was around 270, his liver was dropping, and he was in heart failure. hydronephrosis is the swelling of the kidneys - in andrew's case, a slight swelling of the left (i think) - it was discovered when his blood pressure was high. the cardiologist had an ultrasound of the kidneys.

ash13p00h

ash13p00h

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
oh, and i forgot, his hba1c was over 7 in the hospital, and was 6 two weeks later (i think 6.2 to be exact).

liz32

liz32

• Seniors
  • 1,338 posts
my pharmacist told me that kids can run alot higher than adult. I tested my sonone day and his sugars were in the 200's and that was exceptable as long as they can down. Kids can swing alot more than adults but it may be different if he's already been dxd with diabetes. My son hasn't
liz
Liz macdonald
T2 since January 2005
levemir & novo rapid

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users