What makes Wine so bad for Diabetic?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

Rob43

Rob43

• 500 plus
  • 2,829 posts
I was always told that one glass of wine a day is good for you. Now I have been told by my doctor that wine is bad for a diabetic. Is this true? My wine is called Chianti made by Carlo Rossi.

Thanks, Rob

JediSkipdogg

JediSkipdogg

• 500 plus
  • 8,757 posts
  • I am a:Type 1
I can't remember which is good and which is bad (red or white wine) but keep in mind the effects of alcohol. Wine is good for the body in moderation. After that peak is met then harm comes to the body, and generally in a small form, but that's not for here.

The reason your doctor may say it's bad is because it's alcohol. And alcohol lowers the blood sugar. Which from reading about you, would actually help you. Numerous studies have shown that 1-2 servings of alcohol a day can lower a person's risk of choronary heart disease in patients with type 2 diabetics. And since heart disease is a huge problem for diabetics, that may be a triple good thing.
●Blue Ash, Ohio Police Dispatcher
●Type 1 diabetic since 11 months old
●Pumper since December of 2002
~Animas IR 1000 (Dec. 2002 - Jan. 2005)
~Animas IR 1200 (Jan. 2005 - Jan. 2009)
~Cozmo 1800 (Jan. 2009 - ?)
●Dexcom Seven+ (Aug 1, 2009 - Oct 31, 2012)
●Dexcom G4 (Nov 1, 2012 - ???)

Diabetes is an Art, NOT a Science. You must master the control by skills and not by knowledge alone.

koblenz

koblenz

• 500 plus
  • 1,185 posts
Red Wine = Good
White Wine = Maybe not as good

I will agree with Jedi on the MODERATE consumption of alcohol. There are a number of studies showing some benefit from consumption of RED wine.

I don't know why your doctor told you it was bad. He would be best able to explain in detail why it may be the wrong choice for you.

Both my PCP and Endo don't "recommend" drinking wine everyday, but they don't discourage it. Both said if I wanted to have one glass of red wine a night with dinner, then go ahead. So I do.
My wife keeps telling me I never listen to her.... or something like that!

duck

duck

• 500 plus
  • 6,671 posts
Rob, can I be nosy with another old member of this site? How much wine do you drink? When do you drink it? How does it affect your sugars?

I've been reading some of your other recent posts, and I'd advise that you shouldn't despair...You can fix this, but it will take a little work. You're going to need to test often, probably as much as six to eight times a day (you know, the typical: waking sugars, two hours after breakfast, before lunch, two hours after lunch, before dinner, two hours after dinner, before bed and one time before snacks, etc.). We need to figure out what elements of your diet need to be tweaked or plain old eliminated, and we can determine if the wine is indeed bad for *you*. My immediate thought is that it is not, but let's not say yes or no until we can put it to the test, so to speak.
Look what you've done to this rock-n-roll clown!

Fred&CharlesFan

Fred&CharlesFan

• 500 plus
  • 126 posts
Not familiar with that specific product, but keep in mind what is the specific sugar content rating of that wine? Is Chianti a super dry "0"; or is it a sweeter "3" plus sparkling wine? And of course, avoid the ice-wines. I only have the driest of dry wines (red or white). Some roses can be found as a "1" sugar content.
Fred&CharlesFan
An original U40 user & now CozMo Supporter!

Rob43

Rob43

• 500 plus
  • 2,829 posts
This wine I drink is not sweet and I only drink one glass a day.

Rob

Mister Q

Mister Q

• 500 plus
  • 479 posts
A non sweet wine at the level of 1 glass a day should cause no harm in my own opinion (although the World Health Organisation says drink it at the rate of 1 glass every second day), red wine has been proven to have specific health benefits when drunk in moderation, this has given rise to the French Paradox - a diet high in saturated fat but with a low instance of heart disease, before anyone reaches for the corkscrew its thought that red wine only plays a part in this and its also due to the consumption of plenty of fruit and vegetables.

Modern science is now also telling us the same benefits can be extracted from red grape juice.

As a rule of thumb the sweeter the wine the more sugar it will have in it, the drier the less, the average glass of white wine contains around 2 teaspoons of sugar.

Trawling the web will give you average carb values for wine types although these are only guides becaue it varies from winery to winery for example some wines have sugar added to improve the flavour.

I am a great believer in a little of what you want in moderation is OK, generally your body tells you how you feel.
"Two things are infinite: The universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."

Albert Einstein 1879 - 1955

HelenM

HelenM

• 500 plus
  • 1,029 posts
There have been lots of studies that seem to show that a moderate consumpton of red wine helps protect the heart.
There have been others that show no adverse effects on glucose levels of diabetics. This study on a small group of insulin and non insulin dependent diabetics concluded:

Moderate prandial wine consumption has no adverse effect on the glycemic control of diabetic patients. Thus, it appears unnecessary to proscribe the consumption of red wine in moderation with meals to diabetic patients.

Short-term effect of red wine (consumed during meals) on insulin requirement and glucose tolerance in diabetic patients -- Gin et al. 15 (4): 546 -- Diabetes Care
This one is interesting as it may show benefical effects for type 2 diabetics.
Université Louis Pasteur Strasbourg
Tuesday 12 décembre 2006

Des chercheurs ont découvert que le resveratrol, un dérivé phénolique présent en grande quantité dans le vin rouge améliore la dépense énergétique des souris et les protège contre l'obésité et le diabète. Pour confirmer cette découverte, des tests cliniques sur les humains auront lieu

rough translation
Researchers have discovered that revesterol, a derivative of phenol, present in large quantiites in red wine improved the energy expenditure in mice and protectected them against obesity and diabetes.To confirm this future clinical trials in humans will take place.
more info here(in French)
Un extrait du vin rouge contre le diabète et l'obésité
My problem with this one is that they want to market the active ingrediant as a pill.

I was offered red wine with dinner in hospital here, (they believe wholeheartedly in the French Paradoxe in this part of France) the only caveat from the dietician was she was afraid that it was not a good wine
I should ask your doctor why he thinks its not a good idea to drink a glass a day, there are some medications that you shouldn't drink alcohol with.

Cyborg

Cyborg

• 500 plus
  • 7,866 posts
Wine is fine, but whiskey’s quicker... :thrasher:

(Ozzy Osborne)

- all in moderation :vroam:
You may call me Locutus Posted Image

rrs18

rrs18

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I have recently been diagnosed as a diabetic and this is my first post to this forum. My sg was 127 yesterday and has been as high as 138, but only once. My aic was 5.9.

I am an amatuer wine maker and i have several bottles of wine stuffed in nooks and cranies througout the house, Maybe upwards of 250. And I actually drink some of it. Some red some white. My cholesterol level is sort of low (140) and my HDL was around 34. My MD suggested i drink red wine to raise the HDL, Hard to drink anymore so I bought some grape extract. My HDL rose to 40. so i guess it worked.

I believe that the wine does have an adverse effect on liver function and glucose readings. But I don't think I will stop drinking it, or making it. I am now 70 years old with a heart attack behind me (10 years ago) and a rather serious prostate cancer scare (6 years ago). I have no expectations of living forever so i guess i will just muddle along as i always have.

Good luck

Cyborg

Cyborg

• 500 plus
  • 7,866 posts
I know this is a little off-topic, but the LDL target for a diabetic is 70 or under...

rrs18

rrs18

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Well, I guess i'm doing ok on that score. My LDL was 70, and that was the highest it has been in the last few years. It has been as low as 38. :proud:

princesslinda

princesslinda

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 15,813 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN
  • I am a:Type 2
I've started drinking a glass of wine 3-4 times a week and, so far, haven't noticed any effect on my blood sugar levels. I am doing it because I was told it would help raise HDL (along with aerobic exercise, which i'm also doing). I'm T2 on metformin and the bottle of metformin has an alcohol warning....but, the doc said is should be okay, and so far it has been.

Just_Plain_John

Just_Plain_John

• 500 plus
  • 177 posts
Rob, I wouldn't worry about the Chianti if you're just having a glass a day. Perhaps your doc was worried about hypoglycemia, but moderate consumption is fine. Chianti is actually a pretty good choice, as are Merlot, Cabernets, Montepulciano (Italy), Carmenère (Chile).

Mama Belle

Mama Belle

• 500 plus
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
I think it used to be widely accepted that red wine was okay in moderation to help prevent heart disease. But I think new discoveries are being made that shows that white wine has the same benefits. ScienceDaily: Healthwrap: Grape pulp helps heart

They used to think the healthy part of red wine came from the skins of the grapes which are found in red wine but not white wine. But they have been conducting research showing that the pulp of the grape is just as good for you as the skins.

This is good news for the folks who get headaches from red wine!
Heidi
Mom to Samantha, 8, Type 1, dx June '02, last HbA1c - 7.1
MDI, ready to switch to pump

andypoo

andypoo

• 500 plus
  • 1,865 posts

I have recently been diagnosed as a diabetic and this is my first post to this forum. My sg was 127 yesterday and has been as high as 138, but only once. My aic was 5.9.

I am an amatuer wine maker and i have several bottles of wine stuffed in nooks and cranies througout the house, Maybe upwards of 250. And I actually drink some of it. Some red some white. My cholesterol level is sort of low (140) and my HDL was around 34. My MD suggested i drink red wine to raise the HDL, Hard to drink anymore so I bought some grape extract. My HDL rose to 40. so i guess it worked.

I believe that the wine does have an adverse effect on liver function and glucose readings. But I don't think I will stop drinking it, or making it. I am now 70 years old with a heart attack behind me (10 years ago) and a rather serious prostate cancer scare (6 years ago). I have no expectations of living forever so i guess i will just muddle along as i always have.

Good luck

So,this kind of answers what I was going to ask.Is wine drinking only a preventative measure for the heart? Or can it help the heart after a heart attack or even already existing heart disease? Anybody know? you said you had a heart attack. I did ,too. But I ended up having a double heart bypass and am taking meds for heart disease.

Mister Q

Mister Q

• 500 plus
  • 479 posts

I was offered red wine with dinner in hospital here, (they believe wholeheartedly in the French Paradoxe in this part of France) the only caveat from the dietician was she was afraid that it was not a good wine

I love the fact the dietician is more concerend with the quality of the wine than anything else!!

Many French people I have met do not even consider wine to be alcohol and often I have heard Brandy refered to as l'eau de la vie (The water of life!)

Whatever the scientists say about the source of the goodness it seems to work - the entire population of France can't ALL be wrong!
"Two things are infinite: The universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."

Albert Einstein 1879 - 1955

Just_Plain_John

Just_Plain_John

• 500 plus
  • 177 posts

So,this kind of answers what I was going to ask.Is wine drinking only a preventative measure for the heart? Or can it help the heart after a heart attack or even already existing heart disease? Anybody know? you said you had a heart attack. I did ,too. But I ended up having a double heart bypass and am taking meds for heart disease.

As I understand it, any alcohol has a slight blood thinning property, but the other parts of the wine under study appear to reduce cholesterol (LDL) buildup in the walls of the arteries. Supposedly an unfiltered wine that contains more of the tiny grape particles has the most benefit -so enjoy the simple little village wines.

Recent info is that dark chocolate has anti-clotting properties as well.

So a modest dessert of berries, dark chocolate and some wine could be a healthy alternative.

andypoo

andypoo

• 500 plus
  • 1,865 posts

As I understand it, any alcohol has a slight blood thinning property, but the other parts of the wine under study appear to reduce cholesterol (LDL) buildup in the walls of the arteries. Supposedly an unfiltered wine that contains more of the tiny grape particles has the most benefit -so enjoy the simple little village wines.

Recent info is that dark chocolate has anti-clotting properties as well.

So a modest dessert of berries, dark chocolate and some wine could be a healthy alternative.

That sounds so enticing. thanks a heap!

Cyborg

Cyborg

• 500 plus
  • 7,866 posts

the entire population of France can't ALL be wrong!

That's a matter of opinion... :rofl:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users