- - - - -

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
26 replies to this topic

Bibleteacher

Bibleteacher

• 500 plus
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts
I will probably get a lot of disagreement from my statements, but I think I am right, of course everyone is entitled to disagree with me.

After doing some research, I am finally realizing that the modern diet is the cause of this epidemic of diabetes. We are bombarded with television ads to eat junk food and there is a fast food joint in every corner.

I used to eat the Anerican Standard Diet (SAD) regularely until last year when I was diagnosed with diabetes.

My usual breakfast was the two eggs with ham and hashbrowns
My usual lunch was the hamburger, the fries and the coke
My dinner was the only one that was different from day to day, but it usually was a typical american meal.

Sincerely this type of diet is a killer, but I thought it was normal.

We are never going to conquer diabetes, cancer and other degenerative diseases until we abandon the SAD diet. We can invest in new drugs, equipment and research until we go broke, but we will never conquer these diseases by these methods.

The only way to succeed against these diseases as a society, is for us to return to a more primitive diet

I have decided to change to a different diet, I went to a biblical based diet,
When I changed my diet my BG came back under control.

I have not eaten at any burger joint ever since, at first it was hard, since I was so used to eat in them, but after a while you get used to it. Now I hardly miss going to those horrible places.

Some say that a biblical based diet is just a fad, however that is incorrect. For centuries people ate in this manner without getting diabetes. Yes I get criticism from all sources even from fellow Christian believers, which think I am advocating going back to the jewish law.
I am not advocating any nonsense of going back to jewish law, but I do believe that adhering to the ancient dietery laws of the Bible make sense.
Natural control, no meds
A1C 4.6

princesslinda

princesslinda

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 15,819 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN
  • I am a:Type 2
I'm so glad that you've found a way to so wonderfully control your diabetes. I do agree somewhat with your statement about the "American Diet," but I think you're leaving out the most important variable, PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY.

I am the one who drove through the drive through and ate the fries, I am the one who sat and watched TV instead of exercising, I am the one who opted for convience foods instead of home cooked ones. I'm thankful for all the modern conveniences and feel that there is a way for both to peacefully and heathily (is that even a word) co-exist .

I do think the more "natural" we eat, the better.

Dewey

Dewey

Ex-Moderator

• 500 plus
  • 7,332 posts
I must say that I agree with you, Bibleteacher. We had a local friend who died from a heart attack, 'cause all he ate every day was Wendy's foods. His arteries were so clogged, that when the autopsy was done, they were full of plaque. Good ole' Standard American Diet...(and yes, he should've chosen to eat better than he did, but that's another story...).

I think the other things that cause a great deal of the diseases we see today are fuels (gasolines & fossil fuels) used in vehicles and other things, and the chemicals used in the mass production of produce (pesticides & herbicides)...and more. I love how folks get all defensive when I say that....'cause many people use pesticides/herbicides. However, studies have linked them and their usage directly to Countless diseases, including Parkinson's, Alzheimer's, Cancers, Diabetes and a whole lot more. Yet the industry is making money hand-over-fist & the FDA and EPA does Nothing to protect the very people they are employed to protect. Preservatives such as MSG and Sodium Nitrite are Known carcinogens. However, they're used in countless foods.....and then we wonder why we have all the wonderful Cancers (or other ailments, even) that we do!?

Lastly, doesn't anyone else get irritated that we're running vehicles on Gasoline & Diesel, when there's Bio-diesel and other cleaner ways to run vehicles....ways that have been proven in other countries!?

Sorry, didn't mean to go off on some soap-box, but that was one area I didn't see you touch on, and something I really feel strongly about (and can prove).

ALL my love, Carwy & Best wishes for many healthy years to come! :love:
Saying prayers for him & all our friends, every day.
_______
“There are people who have money and people who are rich." - Coco Chanel
______

Type I for 31 years (Since Jan of 1982)
'Pumping' for 17 years (Since Feb. 1996)
Pumps used: MM 506,7,8,11 & 512, 722
Cozmore 1700 & 1800, Animas IR 1200, 1250, Animas Ping

Meters Used:
Many

EricG

EricG

• 500 plus
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
That type of diet is not healthy, consisting of so much grease and saturated fat. I'd be more concerned with artery problems eating hamburgers/bacon/sausage/fried potatoes every day.

I've never eaten much of that and still wound up with type 2 diabetes.

Mister Q

Mister Q

• 500 plus
  • 479 posts

Some say that a biblical based diet is just a fad, however that is incorrect. For centuries people ate in this manner without getting diabetes.

I have no argument with the fact the modern diet is not helping but to say people ate for centuries without diabetes is not correct.

The sentence below is from the wiki entry on diabetes -

"Although diabetes has been recognized since antiquity, and treatments of various efficacy have been known in various regions since the Middle Ages, and in legend for much longer, pathogenesis of diabetes has only been understood experimentally since about 1900.

Antiquity is defined as below -

"The term classical antiquity is often used to refer to ancient history since the beginning of ancient Greek history in about 776 BC. This coincides roughly with the traditional date of the founding of Rome in 753 BC, the beginning of the history of ancient Rome."

Diabetes has been recorded since before the bible was written, like I said above the modern diet might not help but isnt the cause of it.
"Two things are infinite: The universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."

Albert Einstein 1879 - 1955

Carwy

Carwy

• 500 plus
  • 1,991 posts
The increase in diabetes is do to a lot of things that we as humans are doing to this planet we call home and to our bodies.
1) We now eat a lot of unhealthy foods. Fast food in the norm now. Back in 80 and before people ate a health diet at home not a McDonald's or Burger King on a daily bases.
2) We did not inject the food we eat with hormones (horrible moans) to make them grow bigger faster.
3) We used a lot less chemicals in the production of food. These chemicals also cause other health problems. (CANCER)
4) The children of the 80's and before would go outside and play for hours on end. This would burn the excess fat off and keep us happy and health. The norm for a child today is to stay inside and play video games and never once go out side and get any form of exercise. Heck I was reading in the new that most schools do not have Gym class anymore and do not allow the children to run and play at recess, because they may fall and get hurt and then the sue happy parent show up with a lawyer and sue the school. So I guess it all comes down to.
1) Parents need to encourage children to run and play and stop trying to get a quick million when their child falls while getting exercise.
2) Lets return to the dinner table in the home and stop eating all the fatty fast food.
3) Reduce and or eliminate the chemicals in the production of our food.

I know a lot of you will get mad for what I have said.
All I have to say to that is the truth hurts, learn to live with it and we can make this world a much better place.
A1c 02/2009 5.2
A1c 08/07/2009 6.4

August

August

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts
The first recorded mention of diabetes, appears in the Egyptian hieroglyphs.

Diabetes first appeared with the advent of agriculture, approx 10,000 years ago in the middle east. It was then, and is now, associated with the consumption of a high carbohydrate diet. The Egyptians of the day lived mainly on grains. Their teeth were ground down to the gum line from chewing grains. Mummies that have been explored with MRI and CT scans show roll upon roll of overlapping skin folds, indicating that they were an extremely obese people.

Type2 diabetes is thought to be the simple early death of the insulin producing beta cells, due to overwork and exhaustion, from a lifetime of jelly dough nuts, and super-sized sugar sodas.

I adhere religiously to a strict diet of pickled eggs and beer, down at the old Lightnin Bar. I've also found that sleeping on the pool table has worked wonders for my back problems. ;-)

--August

notme

notme

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 13,140 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
  • I am a:Type 1
I have to agree that 90% of our problems are diet related. There is always the "no good reason" for diabetes, but I think a good portion of our problems is the "modern diet".
maxwellsmiles1.jpg

Nancy

“I don't expect everything to be handed to me. Just set it down anywhere.”.

diagnosed type 1 October 1986
currently using Medtronic MiniMed
Revel 723 with CGMS
CLEAR [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

orpy

orpy

• 500 plus
  • 310 posts

I've never eaten much of that and still wound up with type 2 diabetes.

I totally agree that folks should eat a better diet. However, for myself, I generally under ate, and rarely ate fast foods...yet I find I'm diabetic. I've never been overweight.

I do agree that wholesome, unprocessed food and exercise would go a long way. It doesn't have to be in connection to any book based on religion. It makes sense that the less processed our diet is, the healthier it is, IMHO.

Now that I'm a total carb-counter, I'm appalled at what I see people eat. I don't know how any healthy pancreas could survive the typical American diet.
Orpy

A1C changes: 6.8-->6.6-->6.5-->6.1-->6.4-->7.2 --> 6.0-->6.4-->6.3-->5.9!!! (June 2009) (I am so happy I made the 5 club)-->6.2.

Type 1

Officially pumping as of 2/1/2011!
Humalog
Animas Ping!

I have my ups and downs.

August

August

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

I must say that I agree with you, Bibleteacher. We had a local friend who died from a heart attack, 'cause all he ate every day was Wendy's foods. His arteries were so clogged, that when the autopsy was done, they were full of plaque.

Plaque is Calcium Phosphate, not hamburger!

I'd bet $1.98 that your friend never owned a pair of running shoes in his entire life.

--August

Dewey

Dewey

Ex-Moderator

• 500 plus
  • 7,332 posts

I'd bet $1.98 that your friend never owned a pair of running shoes in his entire life.

--August

Well, prepare to pay up, cause he used to rollerskate with us all the time!
I stated plaque, but may have been mistaken. I'll gladly ask his family members again!

ALL my love, Carwy & Best wishes for many healthy years to come! :love:
Saying prayers for him & all our friends, every day.
_______
“There are people who have money and people who are rich." - Coco Chanel
______

Type I for 31 years (Since Jan of 1982)
'Pumping' for 17 years (Since Feb. 1996)
Pumps used: MM 506,7,8,11 & 512, 722
Cozmore 1700 & 1800, Animas IR 1200, 1250, Animas Ping

Meters Used:
Many

Carwy

Carwy

• 500 plus
  • 1,991 posts

--August

I think first you need the right definition of plaque.
As stated by WebMD

Then, other substances such as inflammatory cells, proteins and calcium that travel in your bloodstream start sticking to the vessel walls. The fat and other substances combine to form a material called plaque. The plaque builds up and narrows the artery (atherosclerosis).

Coronary Artery Disease

How about the AHA (American Heart Association)

DALLAS, Nov. 15 – Not all plaque – the fatty substance that builds up in arteries – is the same and some plaque types are more likely to rupture, which can trigger the formation of a blood clot and a blocked artery. An experimental spectroscopic/imaging technique can provide exact information about plaque components that can help guide treatment, researchers reported at the American Heart Association’s Scientific Sessions 2005.

High tech imaging tells the tale of plaque from the inside out
They both say that fat cause plaque in the human heart.
So are you saying they do not know what they are talking about?
What kind of medical degree do you have to say that the AHA is wrong?

Also the friend that passed away skated with us all the time. He would also go hiking and camping.
A1c 02/2009 5.2
A1c 08/07/2009 6.4

slipperyelm

slipperyelm

• 500 plus
  • 1,465 posts
August, you may be thinking of kidney stones. Well, one class of kidney stones, anyway. But mineral ions do play a role in arterial plaque formation.

Carwy

Carwy

• 500 plus
  • 1,991 posts

kidney stones.

I hate Kidney Stones. When I had them it felt like someone was trying to rip my kidneys out from the inside. I was sick and all doubled up and Dewey had to drive me to the doctor.
A1c 02/2009 5.2
A1c 08/07/2009 6.4

Gary_W

Gary_W

• 500 plus
  • 1,335 posts
Carwy is bang on the money as far as I understand it.

You can get calcified plaque, but (as far as modern medicine is concerned) excess 'bad' cholesterol is the main cause the buildup of plaque. You can then get hard and soft versions as you can get calcium building up over the top of the nice little speed ramp that starts to partially (or fully) clog the artery. As excess fat in the diet tends to lead to increased 'bad' cholesterol, it is fair to say that a high fat diet causes plaque. Of course, some people are blessed with unfortunate DNA and can live the life of a saint yet still get completely furred up arteries. Other folks can smoke 60 a day (between burgers) and live to be 90. Those are the dice, and all we can do is try to reduce the risk and not rely on us having decent DNA!

Having clogged up arteries is no fun; if you have a particularly nice plaque deposit and have a bad day, bits can break off the plaque or the artery wall (weakened by the intima thickening caused by the plaque) can rupture. The resulting sludge then goes upstream with the blood and can bring on stroke or heart attack (depending upon where the incident occured) due to it clogging the smaller blood vessels in the heart or brain. Very simplified explanation, but I'm a very simple chap and that's my basic understanding of it. I'm sure someone brighter can fill in the gaps.

Regarding the OP, why have you decided to go with a Biblical diet as opposed to one based upon current dietary advice? Fair enough if it is working for you, but wouldn't it be wise to check out 'regular' modern day healthy eating as opposed to going to a diet based on your faith? Whilst your faith-based diet is obviously better for you than your previous diet, I cannot think of any diet that wouldn't have given you an improvement.

If your aim is to teach bible for as many years as possible (and a very honourable aim that is) then why not use the best bits of modern knowledge to help yourself out?

Gary

BriOnH

BriOnH

• 500 plus
  • 2,607 posts
I can't even play devils advocate I agree so much. :(

MJB

MJB

• 500 plus
  • 606 posts
To draw the conclusion that modern diet is the "cause" of diabetes is, IMHO, a bit of a stretch. We see a lot of people driving places instead of walking, can we conclude that driving is the cause of diabetes? Nobody drove a car in biblical times.

That being said, I completely agree that as a modern society we eat too much junk and processed food and I think the type of diet you advocate is healthier for diabetic and non-diabetic folks.

Bottom line, do what's best for your health, eat well and exercise.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] :thrasher:

DeusXM

DeusXM

DF member for 11 years

• 500 plus
  • 6,081 posts
  • I am a:Type 1
The increase in diabetes isn't because of the 'modern diet', it's because of the modern lifestyle, which encompasses diet but also a lot of other things. If you eat significantly more calories per day than you expend, then yes, you're going to have problems. Carbs have jack-all to do with it; I've already alluded to the fact that the Thai diet (by way of example) has ALWAYS been high in carbs and yet it's only VERY recently that rates of diabetes have started to increase.

Jesus I'm getting so fed up with this topic. I feel like I'm bashing my head against a brick wall because I've yet to see a single person who fanatically rails against the 'modern diet' ever make the slightest reference to exercise. It's all just ducking personal responsibility.
Want to know the symptoms of diabetes, or find out if you have diabetes? Click here
Don't understand a word or term used in a forum thread? Click here
Want to know if you can drink with diabetes? Click here and here

Larry H.

Larry H.

• 500 plus
  • 789 posts
Deus,

I think your explanation is closer to reality. Sure there was diabeties down through the ages. What we see now, at least around here is a rampant amount of it compare to 50 years ago.
When I look back at my youth, (I have a good memory of that at least), people ate plenty, and not things that would make todays health minded happy. Lard for most cooking. Sausages, eggs, bacon, home made coffee cakes, breads, scrappe loaded with suet and grains. And yet people really didn't experience the degree of problems of today by any stretch. As you say, they were very active. My grandfather got up at 5 am and worked the garden before going to work. He retired at 75 and lived to 92. But my grandmother died early as did one of her boys due to heart diease, probably because of that diet. But I still believe that the activity level of most people helped to keep these dieases at bay. I am still relying on eating smaller amounts of what I want, with in reason, and increasing the excersise. May not work for everyone but studies show it works for a lot.

princesslinda

princesslinda

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 15,819 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN
  • I am a:Type 2
Deus:
Did you check out my response to this thread earlier? Personal responsibility was the first thought I had when reading this initial post. I think many times folks feel if there is a pill for it, there's no need for anything else. While this may work for some dieases, this is definitely not one of them.

I credit my personal IRresponsibility for giving me this disease and have to deal with that fact daily. It's a shame that it takes something like this to jump start the personal responsibility factor that should have been motivation from the beginning.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users