Photo

Why cann't Diabetics use a Electric blanket?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

Rob43

Rob43

• Seniors
  • 2,864 posts
Hi, I was going to buy a electric blanket for my bed till I found out from Sunbeam that electric blankets are not go for Diabetics. I wonder why? I found this out from the blanket's user manual.

Can anyone use a Sunbeam® Warming Product?
A: For the most part, anyone can enjoy Sunbeam® warming products. However, we do not recommend using our Warming Product with an infant, young child, an incapacitated person, a paraplegic, a quadriplegic, a diabetic person, someone insensitive to heat or anyone who cannot clearly understand the instructions and operate the controls.

Sunbeam Bedding - Frequently Asked Questions

FTW

FTW

• Members
  • 109 posts
From [URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electric_blanket"]Wikipedia:[/URL]

Electric blankets also present a burn risk to those who cannot feel heat or are unable to react to it. Individuals included in this group are babies, small children, diabetics, and the elderly.

I have no neuropathy so the warning doesn't concern me. We do use an electric blanket.

FTW

Emm

Emm

• Seniors
  • 803 posts
I have a 'leccy blankie' and use it without worry...

The warning is fair, it covers their butts if a diabetic with no feeling gets a burn, or if we sleep funny through highs/lows and cook ourselves from being too ditsy to turn it off. However, an electric blanket wont actually affect your Diabetes (that I know of??) and should be fine for you if you're fine for it :)

Taking on diabetes one meal at a time.
.....and winning :)

JediSkipdogg

JediSkipdogg

• Seniors
  • 8,779 posts
  • I am a:Type 1
It's another CYA item from the manufacturer....Cover Your Ass. I've used one and never had a problem.

●Police Dispatcher
●Type 1 diabetic since 11 months old
●Pumper since December of 2002
~Animas IR 1000 (Dec. 2002 - Jan. 2005)
~Animas IR 1200 (Jan. 2005 - Jan. 2009)
~Cozmo 1800 (Jan. 2009 - ?)
●Dexcom Seven+ (Aug 1, 2009 - Oct 31, 2012)
●Dexcom G4 (Nov 1, 2012 - ???)

Diabetes is an Art, NOT a Science. You must master the control by skills and not by knowledge alone.

Penny

Penny

• Seniors
  • 6,653 posts
I use one when it is really cold. Most of the time I sleep too hot anyway, and would not want one. So, like the others say, it is just to protect Sunbeam.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Love doesn't make the world go around, but it makes the ride worthwhile.

Stuboy

Stuboy

• Seniors
  • 1,956 posts
perhaps because some diabetics sweat like there's no tomorrow during a night hypo... water + electricity = well. you know.

That's the only reason i can think of... we've considered getting one for the winter months...
Stu
Posted Image
Posted Image
Type 1 Since 24.07.2006
Pumping NovoRapid with Animas 2020MDI- Levemir & NovoRapidMDI - Lantus & NovoRapidMixtard 30

Posted Image Ya gots to work with what ya gots to work with!

kgm0612

kgm0612

• Seniors
  • 7,672 posts
I have both an electric blanket and an electric mattress pad. I alternate between the two.

Karen

Injecto

Injecto

• Seniors
  • 1,588 posts
Well, apparently we can't use anything. Every drug bottle has a warning for diabetics, electric blankets do, we're not allowed to walk barefoot anywhere ever, we can't wear new shoes for more than 20 minutes at a time, no using hot water bottles, etc.....

The list goes on and on. seems we should just curl up and get out the way of everyone who is healty.
Well, apparently we can't use anything. Every drug bottle has a warning for diabetics, electric blankets do, we're not allowed to walk barefoot anywhere ever, we can't wear new shoes for more than 20 minutes at a time, no using hot water bottles, etc.....

The list goes on and on. seems we should just curl up and get out the way of everyone who is healty.

We're stuck between being told that "if" we take care of ourselves, logically we should have no differences from anyone else, and "WARNING Diabetics...don't do ____fill in the blank____". It's really frustrating. I say, unless you KNOW you have neuropathy, use the blanket. Even if you have neuropathy, use the blanket (just be careful) because guess what? Neuropathy or not your feet are still "feeling" cold and will do what cold feet do either way. They act as if when you have neuropathy that you should just avoid staying warm, it's nuts.

burroak

burroak

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
"Well, apparently we can't use anything."

If one relies on the government, corporate lawyers, and mass media to grant permission for you to live your life, I suppose that statement is correct. However, after all is said and done, we are responsible for ourselves. With sound information and common sense, one can and should make decisions in all aspects of his life.

But, it has been said over and over, "Common sense is not all that common."

JediSkipdogg

JediSkipdogg

• Seniors
  • 8,779 posts

If one relies on the government, corporate lawyers, and mass media to grant permission for you to live your life, I suppose that statement is correct. However, after all is said and done, we are responsible for ourselves. With sound information and common sense, one can and should make decisions in all aspects of his life.

But, it has been said over and over, "Common sense is not all that common."

Common sense is part of it the other part is this world is just too damn sue happy. Like the entire McDonald's coffee incident....COFFEE SHOULD BURN YOU IF YOU SPILL IT ON YOURSELF.

I get a laugh at many of the warning labels I see these days. They are there as CYAs for the company making the product because otherwise people would sue for something that is 99.9999999% common sense.

●Police Dispatcher
●Type 1 diabetic since 11 months old
●Pumper since December of 2002
~Animas IR 1000 (Dec. 2002 - Jan. 2005)
~Animas IR 1200 (Jan. 2005 - Jan. 2009)
~Cozmo 1800 (Jan. 2009 - ?)
●Dexcom Seven+ (Aug 1, 2009 - Oct 31, 2012)
●Dexcom G4 (Nov 1, 2012 - ???)

Diabetes is an Art, NOT a Science. You must master the control by skills and not by knowledge alone.

DeusXM

DeusXM

DF member for 11 years

• Seniors
  • 6,259 posts
Yeah, it's the same sort of culture that puts 'Warning: Contains Milk' on milk cartons, and even more amusingly, 'May contain nuts' on packets of peanuts.
Want to know the symptoms of diabetes, or find out if you have diabetes? Click here
Don't understand a word or term used in a forum thread? Click here
Want to know if you can drink with diabetes? Click here and here

tanyatype1

tanyatype1

• Seniors
  • 1,889 posts
OMG! Soooo true! You should see the papers that we have to fill out for our kids to go on a field trip for school! Multiple signatures for any number of unforseen incidents that might occur..... it's really getting outta hand!:)
:coffee:

Happiness isn't getting what you want.....
It's wanting what you've got.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users