- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

Phranp

Phranp

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts
I have recently been diagnosed with Type 2 (about 3 weeks ago) and my eye sight keeps changing. I was near sighted, then it changed to far sighted and now I seem to be somewhere in between and I can't see with, or without my glasses. Does anyone know how long this is going to go on? My eyes stop changing every week.

Thanks!

BriOnH

BriOnH

• Seniors
  • 2,607 posts
Once you get your sugars under control your sight should be as good as it was prior.

Phranp

Phranp

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts
Thanks much ... this is driving me crazy!

sweetcheeks

sweetcheeks

• Seniors
  • 992 posts
its probably your eyes are readjusting to the "more normalish" levels

mine only went blurry once, which was right before diagnosis... doc told me it was because i got so high and my numbers were starting to lower

i have an appointment on 3/9 to have my eyes checked

your doc will probably tell you to see an eye doc within about 3 months of diagnosis, just to make sure there isnt any damage. then it will be a yearly visit to the eye doc

i've always wore glasses since 3rd grade, so eye visits doesnt bother me, but before i was going about once every 3 to 4 years, from here on out... yearly for me
Stacey

1st A1c 10/2006 8.9
2nd A1c 1/2007 5.5
3rd A1c 4/2007 5.3
4th A1c 7/2007 5.5
5th A1c 4/2008 5.1
Latest A1c 10/2010 5.2

MYDEAR

MYDEAR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts
HI PHRANP, WELCOME TO THE BOARDS

yeah, blurred vision is what made me go to the dr. i have night blindness, but the street lights help a lot. on this one night even in street light i couldn't focus, and it frightened me. i really didn't understand what was going on.

it takes a while to get your bs under control, but after a while your going to start feeling like your old self again. maybe even better. if you've changed your diet.

all the best to you, mydear
500 mg metformin 2 X a day/ I'm eating smart every
meal & aiming for 64 oz of water a day
Posted ImageI'm taking my life back......

SHAA77

SHAA77

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
HI PHRANP

This is the part that scared me to death, I had very high BG's when I found out I was a "D". When my levels started coming down I couldn't see even with my contacts. (I have always had poor eye sight) I had a very nice lady tell me to go to one of the many dollar stores and get a pair of reading glasses to wear with my contacts or over my glasses. I spent all of $5 on 5 different pair of glasses. I wish she was close because I would give her a BIG HUG!! I was able to find the right strengths every time my eyes changed to help me out. The way it was explained to me by my ophthalmologist when your BG's start to rise fluid builds in your eyes. Since mine was a slow rise then the big finale of way high I never noticed a huge change with my vision. He also told me that since I am now getting my BG's under control that the fluid is decreasing in my eyes back to normal at a faster rate than it took to get there thus a big difference in vision. I know it is frustrating and it will drive you crazy. It took me about 3-4 weeks before I put the reading glasses down. I hope this is something that works for you if you try it.

Lots of luck and welcome to the boards!!

Alicia

labob

labob

• Members
  • 292 posts
Same for me -- my eyesight was all out of whack just before and just after I was diagnosed. My CDE told me not to think about changing prescriptions before my glucose levels had been stable for a month, which meant no sustained highs, but also no recurring lows, either. It took quite a while (at least a couple of months, maybe longer), but eventually I ended up going back to where I was before -- perhaps my eyesight is even just a tiny little bit better than before. But not by much.

mzizgayle

mzizgayle

• Members
  • 348 posts
That was how my diabetes was discovered, my eyesight went so south I could not see the big green signs on the highway LOL..I actually drove my self to the eye doctor 65 miles and she freaked out. Once my diagnosis came official and my numbers started in control, my eyesight fluctuated several times. My eye doctor was so nice to keep making me new glasses free of charge since she knew I worked in an office and needed my sight(after the inital pay) until they settled into what they are now. I actually bounced all the way to the other side where I could drive without glasses! but this lasted about a month, but my reading is actually better, back to what it was about 5 years ago. This process took about 4 months

ladytaz

ladytaz

• Seniors
  • 2,584 posts
Hi Phranp, I hope your vision gets back to normal soon! I know how frustrating it is! Thankfully, mine only lasted a few weeks, but that was more than long enough!! ;)

.: Melissa :.

Type 2 - Dx'd 08.16.05
•••
[ A1c ]
6.9 - 01/07
6.0 - 05/07
5.9 - 09/07
6.4 - 03/08
6.4 - 10/08
6.9 - 03/09
[ Meter ]
Contour