- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

vauxhalldon

vauxhalldon

• 500 plus
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts
Does anyone out there have a prescription for the 1.25mg. Glyburide pill?

From the answer to a previous post, I know they make it. My question is, does the 1.25mg Glyburide pill have a crease on it so it can be broken in half easily, the way the 2.5mg and 5mg pills do?

I'm still getting lows (below 70) in the afternoon with half of a 2.5mg, but when I stop taking it, my BG's are too high!

So, I need to know.

ladytaz

ladytaz

• 500 plus
  • 2,584 posts
vauxhalldon, go to the site I told you about in that other post, and on there, there is a link that you can see the photos of the pills, by the different makers. Some makers may have the line in the middle, some may not.

.: Melissa :.

Type 2 - Dx'd 08.16.05
•••
[ A1c ]
6.9 - 01/07
6.0 - 05/07
5.9 - 09/07
6.4 - 03/08
6.4 - 10/08
6.9 - 03/09
[ Meter ]
Contour
[ Meds ]
Metformin 1000mg 2x, Novolin N 30u 2x, Novolin R 1:10
Lisinopril 20mg 1x, Simvastatin 40mg 1x, Aspirin 81mg 1x
Tramadol 50mg 2 tabs 3x, Gabapentin 300mg 3x
[ Other Conditions ]
Coccidioidomycosis aka Valley Fever Dx'd 1.17.94
- Asthma
- Chronic Bronchitis
Hypertention
Hyperlipidemia
Neuropathy

vauxhalldon

vauxhalldon

• 500 plus
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts
Taz,
Thanks again. The drugs.com site Pill Identifier 'tab' provided the information I was looking for (via photos). There are several manufacturers of the generic drug Glyburide, and they all come with a score (or in some cases a raised line!) in the middle in all dosages. The manufacturer that Express Scripts used for my 5mg and 2.5mg prescriptions does not make a 1.25mg, but I'm sure they will use another mfgr. to fill the prescription.

mzizgayle

mzizgayle

• 500 plus
  • 348 posts
you could check at a local drug store for a pill cutter. I had to do that when my doctor increased the metformin a half pill before he changed it.

ladytaz

ladytaz

• 500 plus
  • 2,584 posts

Taz,
Thanks again. The drugs.com site Pill Identifier 'tab' provided the information I was looking for (via photos). There are several manufacturers of the generic drug Glyburide, and they all come with a score (or in some cases a raised line!) in the middle in all dosages. The manufacturer that Express Scripts used for my 5mg and 2.5mg prescriptions does not make a 1.25mg, but I'm sure they will use another mfgr. to fill the prescription.

I'm not sure if all pharmacies use all pharmaceutical makers or not? But it's worth a shot to ask them if they carry any with the middle score! If not, as mizgayle suggested, you can get pill cutters. I've not seen them in stores, but have seen them online!

Good Luck!

Type 2 - Dx'd 08.16.05
•••
[ A1c ]
6.9 - 01/07
6.0 - 05/07
5.9 - 09/07
6.4 - 03/08
6.4 - 10/08
6.9 - 03/09
[ Meter ]
Contour
[ Meds ]
[ Other Conditions ]
- Asthma
- Chronic Bronchitis
Hypertention
Hyperlipidemia
Neuropathy

BlueSky

BlueSky

• 500 plus
  • 2,566 posts

... does the 1.25mg Glyburide pill have a crease on it so it can be broken in half easily, .... I'm still getting lows (below 70) in the afternoon with half of a 2.5mg, but when I stop taking it, my BG's are too high! ...

Have you considered switching to an insulin sensitizer, like Actos or Avandia? They won't cause you to go low, and they don't stress your beta cells.
In my humble opinion :wink:

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Type1 since 1977
MDI using Lantus, Novorapid and Actrapid

ladytaz

ladytaz

• 500 plus
  • 2,584 posts

Have you considered switching to an insulin sensitizer, like Actos or Avandia? They won't cause you to go low, and they don't stress your beta cells.

No, they won't cause you to go low, but they sure can cause you unnessary weight gain (that won't come off no matter what you do!), fluid retention and heart troubles such as Congestive Heart Failure!!

I don't advise either of those drugs for anyone! I for one won't take Actos or any Actos products EVER again (due to the weight gain, and they quit helping after some months, with the BGL), and because of what Avandamet did to my dad (weight gain, fluid retention and CHF - which nearly killed him, he was litterally on deaths doorstep!) I'll NEVER take any Avandia products either! My dad and I aren't the only ones to have these awful side effects either, I've read the same things from LOTS of people all over the net. All AFTER we were both off those meds.

Should anyone be put on, or choose to go on them, I'd be VERY aware of how my body is reacting to them! IMO, the side effects are NOT worth the help they are for one's BGL's.

Type 2 - Dx'd 08.16.05
•••
[ A1c ]
6.9 - 01/07
6.0 - 05/07
5.9 - 09/07
6.4 - 03/08
6.4 - 10/08
6.9 - 03/09
[ Meter ]
Contour
[ Meds ]
[ Other Conditions ]
- Asthma
- Chronic Bronchitis
Hypertention
Hyperlipidemia
Neuropathy

mommaterra

mommaterra

• 500 plus
  • 109 posts
Actually metformin is an insulin sensitizer that doesn't mess with weight. I see now that Bernstein actually prefers the non-generic over the generic (Glucophage vs. metformin), but I like what I'm getting with no lows, to boot. And I love that I'm not lining the Big Pharma pockets at the moment, as met is cheaper by far than the name brands. Plus I didn't like the side effects of Actos or Avandia just from reading the drug inserts on-line.

I was trying to bite my tongue, but I sure agree that drugs that beat up on yur remaining beta cells are of questionable value! --diana
Fat Activist/ Type 2 Diabetic Low-Carber
I suspect that when weight isn't the focus, and one eats to satiety, diabetes is a whole lot easier!

nneighbour

nneighbour

• 500 plus
  • 288 posts
Vauxhaldon, another alternative is to ask your pharmacist to split the pills for you. I'm currently on glyburide 1.25 and split the pills myself from 5 mg tabs. When I made the switch down from 2.5 mg, it made a huge difference is control. Before I was low daily, now I'm pretty much a constant 5 to 6 (90 to 108).
PCOS with insulin resistance: Jan 2002 :eviltongu Type 2 diabetes: Jan 4, 2007
Meter: One Touch Ultra 2
Medications: actos, gluconorm, lithium carbonate, effexor xr, coversyl, indapamide, spironolactone, clonazepam, fiorinol c
HbA1c: 02/05/07: 5.0% • 28/12/06: 13.1%

vauxhalldon

vauxhalldon

• 500 plus
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts
Thanks, all, for your suggestions. I'll stay clear of Avandia for the known weight gain reason, and because I consider it a regression in my therapy.

As some of you know, I am continuing to reduce my meds and still getting lower BG's on this WOE, even without regular exercise.

On the current 1.25mg GLY (am) and 500mg. MET (pm), my fasting BG's for the last 4 days have been: 109, 106, 99, 92. Yesterdays 4 readings were: 99, 115, 60, 68, even with only 1.25mg (half a 2.5mg).

So, unless or until I get a prescription for 1.25mg GLY that I can cut in half, I think I will, after another week, eliminate the GLY altogether (again) and replace it with a 500mg MET again.

sherryW

sherryW

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Vauxhalldon, I got a new prescription yesterday for Glyburide 1.25mg. The Manufacture is TEVA. This small white pill does have a score in the center of the pill to allow you to break it in half.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users