No taste ......

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

flash

flash

• Seniors
  • 171 posts
I had a bad low last night. The food I was eating to bring my sugar up tasted horrible nothing like it should taste. Did this ever happen to anyone, that you lost your taste during a low ?

Flash

LancetChick

LancetChick

• Seniors
  • 402 posts
That has happened to me before, but not in years. I read a book many years ago about a British girl's experience with diabetes and working with Mother Teresa called Metal Jam, referring to the way jam tastes during a hypo. And when she would go low teaching her class, she would take all her clothes off.:eek:

FrankDr

FrankDr

• Seniors
  • 239 posts

Did this ever happen to anyone, that you lost your taste during a low ?

Yes, but only if I'm really low (which I am this morning, coincidentally) . Everything seems to have the same taste - almost like your tongue is numb.
Frank D.
Fort Worth, Tx

Dx'd type 1 in Jan 2006 @ 36
Gray Cozmo

REDLAN

REDLAN

• Seniors
  • 872 posts
if I have a really bad low that has slipped in without the normal warning signs, then I can get a metallic taste.

I always assumed it was due to the low (usually around the 2mmol/35 mark) playing havoc with my brain.

lgvincent

lgvincent

• Seniors
  • 4,978 posts
I've had it happen many times when my blood sugar is low. Can't taste anything.
Brandy
My Little Princess
August 18, 1990 - May 3, 2006

Posted Image

Say you'll share with
me one
love, one lifetime . . .
Lead me, save me
from my solitude . . .

Say you want me
with you ,
here beside you . . .
Anywhere you go
let me go to . . .
Christine,
that's all I ask of . . .
(you)

lgvincent

lgvincent

• Seniors
  • 4,978 posts

That has happened to me before, but not in years. I read a book many years ago about a British girl's experience with diabetes and working with Mother Teresa called Metal Jam, referring to the way jam tastes during a hypo. And when she would go low teaching her class, she would take all her clothes off.:eek:

Life is so unfair. Why didn't I ever have a teacher like that? Considering the teachers I had, that was actually a good thing.
Brandy
My Little Princess
August 18, 1990 - May 3, 2006

Posted Image

Say you'll share with
me one
love, one lifetime . . .
Lead me, save me
from my solitude . . .

Say you want me
with you ,
here beside you . . .
Anywhere you go
let me go to . . .
Christine,
that's all I ask of . . .
(you)

tori~

tori~

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
your right about the taste of food when bring up a low, but what I've also found is it seems when I'm low it's hard for me to eat because I feel full... it's sometimes hard to take in food... bring on the coke...
This body is not who I am.
It is an exquisitely perfect dwelling for my soul.
Everything about it is exactly as it should be.
No other, anywhere, ever, could serve my soul as well~

flash

flash

• Seniors
  • 171 posts
Thats what it was like a metalic taste, I didn't even feel the low coming on which is new to me.

Flash

Gary_W

Gary_W

• Seniors
  • 1,335 posts
Yup, I always get this when I go low; a metalic taste, and the tip of my tounge feels slightly numb.

Whilst it's not the most pleasant thing in the world, at least I know I'm in need of something sweet which is more than some poor folks get...

rocky

rocky

• Seniors
  • 125 posts
I am actually the opposite. Everything tastes really good when I am low, and I get extremely hungry.

The months leading up to my diagnosis though I couldn't eat anything becasue everything tasted like metal to me, even water... but I was extremely HIGH. Hmmm...

Type 1 since June 12, 1997. (12yrs old)
Started Pumping Nov. 19, 2007 - MM722 :D
Started MM Real-Time CGMS May 13, 2010 :D

Jenn80Mc

Jenn80Mc

• Seniors
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts
I have a bit of both. Sometimes when I am low, it's SO hard to eat anything because I am full and so I need drink instead, and anything I eat tastes terrible.

Other times, I can't get enough of ANYTHING when I'm low. I want to eat it all. It's actually frustrating!

blue_eyed_devil

blue_eyed_devil

• Seniors
  • 255 posts
i have had both in the past... metallic taste and loss of taste.

similar to jenn i find i don't want to eat when i'm low. i'm hungry at the beguinning of a low, but the lower i become the less and less i want to eat...

i think that's normal though... cause the sugar has been release into the muscles etc they body believes there is enough glucose circulating...? same in reverse when you're high. i know i'm always hungry when i'm high... (that was off topic wasn't it?!?)
money can't buy you friends, but you get a better class of enemy" - spike milligan
diagnosed april 1993, age 10
was on MDI until april 2005, when started on cozmo pump
(purple).
i'm a nurse and the medical profession scares me sometimes :nurse:

Cyborg

Cyborg

• Seniors
  • 7,866 posts
IMO, treating lows with food, especially bad lows, is a bad idea... :secruity:
You may call me Locutus Posted Image

cheryl

cheryl

• Seniors
  • 1,432 posts
oh that happened to me last week I used a soda and it tasted awful and then the metallic yuck taste, I was a little nervous because that symptom hasn't happened in years.....but I see a lot experience that so it makes me feel better now......whew.....

Cheryl
Don't know who I want as president, but I know I don't want to live like a communist....ENOUGH SAID.....

March a1c 6.4
Pumper 522 with Humalog

TenderVittleS

TenderVittleS

Banned

• Banned
  • 387 posts

IMO, treating lows with food, especially bad lows, is a bad idea... :secruity:

I agree, I think juice is still the best for me, food takes too long but if I feel my BS is slowly dropping I prevent it with a few crackers or chips.

mcneely

mcneely

• Seniors
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

I agree, I think juice is still the best for me, food takes too long but if I feel my BS is slowly dropping I prevent it with a few crackers or chips.

How long have you been a diabetic? I hope you were joking about the chips thing. Was that a joke?

In case anyone else doesn't know, do not eat chips or anything else with fat in it, as this causes the breaking down of sugars to take longer thus having a low for longer periods of time. As someone above mentioned, food should not be eaten to treat a low. Sugar pills work best for me, when I am lower than 60. If I am around 60 I will eat some things or drink juice/coke.

Be careful with those greasy foods and lows! :eek:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users