• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

kimfly

kimfly

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
I am taking Metformin and Amaryl.

I heard that Metformin was only to be taken at night as it deals mainly with kidneys. Is this true?

Can the two be taken together?

Teresa

Teresa

• 500 plus
  • 338 posts
i dont know anything about Amaryl at all (infact ive not heard of it) but i take metformin...

i take it 3 times a day, breakfast, dinner and evening meal... ive never heard of taking it at night, infact i was told to always take it with food... but im no expert so i dunno!

Claire

Claire

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
I take metformin twice a day, breakfast and evening meal. I was told to take it with meals it also says on the packet it comes in, Take this medicine with or after food. I have never heard of it to be taken at night.

Same here, I dont take Amaryl and have never heard of it. So I dont know if they can be taken together.

Ashtur

Ashtur

• 500 plus
  • 197 posts
This is a page I've found interesting

https://diabetesmana...m_ClinGuide.pdf

If you notice, it says that one of the "standard" combos is Metformin and an insulin secratouge... and that's what Amaryl is (it's one of the newer sulfa drugs). So this one is pretty much SOP.

Betsy

Betsy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Dear kimfly
I think metformin can also be taken twice a day. There is some good information is available on this page. There is a link about the middle of the page which reads More details on diabetic drugs. This link contains information about diabetic drugs. Hope this will help
http://www.medicineworld.org/medicine/endocrinology/type2diabetes.html

Regards,
Betsy

Scion

Scion

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Hey Kimfly, For the last two months, I've taken metformin and Amaryl together, metformin at breakfast and dinner, Amaryl at breakfast. I've had no problems or side effects taking both at the same time.

srgw

srgw

• 500 plus
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts
Kimfly, I've taken Metformin and Amaryl since Feb.2004 together,
Metformin 500mg and Amaryl 1mg at breakfast and Metformin 500mg at dinner, I have had no problems or side effects taking both at the
same time.

Steve
New Jersey

Timeless

Timeless

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I take Avandamet, (which contains 1000mg of Metformin and 4mg of Avandia) and Amaryl 1mg after breakfast and again after dinner. I've had no side effects from the combination of the two. Doctor just said to take them after eating a meal.

Timeless

jeraa2t

jeraa2t

• 500 plus
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
I take 4mg Amaryl 2x a day. Was just taken off glucophage due to high creatinine and uric acid levels, screwing up my kidneys.
Just on Amaryl, only problem is that too much amaryl can lead to low sugar levels. I find my levels are up and down alot more, but I cant handle the glucophage (killed my stomach too).

hermitladee

hermitladee

• 500 plus
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts
Amaryl forces your pancreas to produce more insulin, which can over time make your pancreas fail sooner. A safer alternative would be Actos along with Metformin along with dietary and excersise changes. You might discuss this with your doctor and get their opinion as each individual is different.
Metformin is sometimes prescribed only at night due to it's effect on the liver. During the night your liver will release glucose to keep your body functioning. But in a diabetic, the effect of that glucose release cannot be controlled due to decreased pancreatic funtioning. Therefore it will help keep down fasting levels when taken at night.

Sutapa

Sutapa

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I am taking metformin 500mg only once at breakfast. But my sugar levels are highest at fasting and goes down during the day. Can I start taking the metformin at dinner instead of breakfast?

HbA1c 6.52%
:(

jensw61

jensw61

• 500 plus
  • 110 posts
I take 3x500mg Metformin XR (extended release) at Dinner. Diamicron at breakfast.
HBac1 8.1 Feb 09
HBac1 7.7 May 09

Lantus 142 units, Metformin 1500, Thyroxine, Coversyl, Crestor, Lipidil

cholesterol, triglycerides down - yay!

Caravaggio

Caravaggio

• 500 plus
  • 2,554 posts
I take amaryl and metformin together with my breakfast.

MODY-RN

MODY-RN

• 500 plus
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

I am taking Metformin and Amaryl.

I heard that Metformin was only to be taken at night as it deals mainly with kidneys. Is this true?

Can the two be taken together?

Metformin can be taken at anytime during the day and works by supressing the release of glucose by the liver, thus it can be initially prescribed to be taken at night to prevent the liver dump of glucose during the night during the fast and thus lowering the morning/fasting blood sugar... Amaryl works by making the pancreas put out more insulin (if the pancreas will still respond). They can be taken together...

PrettynPurple

PrettynPurple

• 500 plus
  • 636 posts
i take met twice a day, before i eat breakfast, typically around 6am and then before i go to bed, typically around 9pm, but i find if i eat a small snack around 8pm, my fasting bg is better

June 10 a1c 6.4%
Oct 09 A1c 6.2%
April 09 A1c 6.2%
Dec 08 A1c 6.2%
Sept 08 A1c 7.5%
June 08 A1c 8.5%

Diagnosed: June 08
Metformin 1000mg twice daily

Posted Image

CookD

CookD

• 500 plus
  • 193 posts
I take a 500mg Metformin at lunch and at dinner.
I take 2mg Amaryl at bedtime. I've had great readings with this program and morning #'s of 100-115.
Dee
5-2-07 A1c =13.4 :eek:
3-4-08 A1c = 6.3 :)
9-9-08 A1c = 6.3
3-23-09 A1c = 5.8 :D

Ti-Jae

Ti-Jae

• 500 plus
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts
I take 1000mg of Metformin ER with a meal both morning and evening along with my insulin injections. I usually have a small snack about 10 p.m. Morning fasting generally ranges between 70-85 for me as long as I wake at my usual time of 6 a.m., else I'm between 100-110.
a.k.a. Natalie
DX: 29 Jan 09

A1Cs: 13.54% on 29 Jan 09 | 8.1% on 09 Mar 09 | 5.4% on 13 May 09 | 4.9% on 14 Aug 09 | 5.4% on 13 Nov 09 | 5.2% 19 Jan 10
Aug 09 lipids: total 182, HDL 37, triglycerides 118, LDL 121, VLDL 24
Nov 09 lipids: total 230, HDL 47, triglycerides 198, LDL 143
Jan 10 lipids: total 156, HDL 37, triglycerides 209, LDL 77, VLDL 42

Buspirone t.i.d.
Metformin ER b.i.d.
Multivitamin, vitamin D3, fish oil, calcium, aspirin, Citalopram, Actos, Pravastatin q.d.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users