"Gushers"

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

belyro

belyro

• 500 plus
  • 1,893 posts
OK...I don't pump, but I'm thinking of it for the future, and these infamous "gushers" I've heard about scare me.

Can someone who gets them give me a straight answer as to how much blood we're actually talking about here? Is it a conisistently increasing drop? Does it trickle down you a little? Does it drip on the floor? Is it a gaping wound that requires a tourniquet? Is it a fountain? A geyser? Does it spurt or shoot?

Seriously....how bad are we talking? And don't just say "a lot". A lot compared to what? Compared to a bloodtest or compared to an appendectomy?

Thanks. :)
~ Bethany ~

Type 1 since I was 3 (1981)
Pumping as of Sept. 13, 2007 - Paradigm 522 with NovoRapid (Novolog)
(Previously on Levemir and Humalog)
CGMS as of Apr. 2008
Laser treatments (scatter) on both eyes - Jul. 4, 2007-Sept. 12, 2007; more on left eye April 2009.

Check out my diabetes & pregnancy blog at www.pregnantbethany.blogspot.com

Check out my diabetes blog called "Me With D" at www.mewithd.wordpress.com

Funnygrl

Funnygrl

• 500 plus
  • 6,758 posts
Ever prick your finger and then squeeze it, not get blood, but all of a sudden get a nice squirt of blood? That's a gusher. I've had a few sets bleed when I take them out, but I just blot it away and it's fine. We're not talking much blood at all. A trickle is the worst I've gotten.

belyro

belyro

• 500 plus
  • 1,893 posts

Ever prick your finger and then squeeze it, not get blood, but all of a sudden get a nice squirt of blood? That's a gusher. I've had a few sets bleed when I take them out, but I just blot it away and it's fine. We're not talking much blood at all. A trickle is the worst I've gotten.

Well THAT I can handle. If this is everyone's experience, we have some exaggerators on here. ;)
~ Bethany ~

CGMS as of Apr. 2008
Laser treatments (scatter) on both eyes - Jul. 4, 2007-Sept. 12, 2007; more on left eye April 2009.

JediSkipdogg

JediSkipdogg

• 500 plus
  • 8,753 posts
  • I am a:Type 1
The last one I had could have put out a fire. LOL

I've never had an appendectomy so I can't compare to that. Generally when I think of the term gusher I think of one where it does take some pressure for the bleading to stop. Generally when this occurs I grab some guaze and apply pressure for a minute and it stops.

When it comes out it comes out as a small stream. It doesn't spray out, just leaks out and runs down my stomach if I don't catch it fast enough.

I had quite a few during the month of march, but generally speaking, it happens about once a year.
●Blue Ash, Ohio Police Dispatcher
●Type 1 diabetic since 11 months old
●Pumper since December of 2002
~Animas IR 1000 (Dec. 2002 - Jan. 2005)
~Animas IR 1200 (Jan. 2005 - Jan. 2009)
~Cozmo 1800 (Jan. 2009 - ?)
●Dexcom Seven+ (Aug 1, 2009 - Oct 31, 2012)
●Dexcom G4 (Nov 1, 2012 - ???)

Diabetes is an Art, NOT a Science. You must master the control by skills and not by knowledge alone.

notme

notme

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 12,997 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
  • I am a:Type 1
If this is any consolation at all Beth, I have pumped for six years and never had a gusher (knock on wood).

I haven't read of anyone bleeding to death from one!!! :whistling
maxwellsmiles1.jpg

Nancy

“I don't expect everything to be handed to me. Just set it down anywhere.”.

diagnosed type 1 October 1986
currently using Medtronic MiniMed
Revel 723 with CGMS
CLEAR [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

It Ain't Over

It Ain't Over

• 500 plus
  • 581 posts
About once a year is right. Little messy, but not hard to stop.
About the time you forget about them, it will catch you off guard.
Type 1 since September 1978. Pumper since 1998.

I want to die sleeping peacefully, - like my grandma; not screaming with horror, - like those, who were as passangers in her car.:ciao:

jen_slc

jen_slc

• 500 plus
  • 1,039 posts
My (frequent) gushers never squirted/spurted like a geyser or actually left my skin or leapt out into the air. But they involved much more blood than a fingerprick ever did, even those "gushing fingerpricks." So yes, some of them did take pressure for a few minutes to stop, some of them did run down my stomach/butt/leg, some of them did drop on the floor. I wouldn't call it a trickle, I would call it more of a steady stream (if I didn't catch it) that usually involved a clean up... Who knows what someone would have thought if they walked in on me like that... sticky bloody hands and blood drops on the floor! :laugh: I kid you not! No exaggeration here! I am an ex-pumper partially due to that!

But anyway, I hardly think I represent the pumping majority, so don't let the possibility of gushers stop you. :wink:
T1 20 years, on Lantus, Apidra and Regular.

"Nothing shocks me. I'm a scientist."

xMenace

xMenace

• 500 plus
  • 11,085 posts
Posted Image
Michelle Oberg "yep....stop trying to make vegetables taste like meat.....you made your choice, now live with it hippies"

Back on MDI and doing well. Trying Victoza and loving it. A1C 6.0, no major hypos; a few highs; lots of shots. Diagnosed Oct 19th, 1975.
HDL-101; LDL-64; TG-36; TOT-172

NoelD

NoelD

• 500 plus
  • 591 posts
My last one about a week ago was scary to me. I've never seen that much blood coming out of my thigh before. By the time I got to the kitchen to get some paper towels it was gushing down my leg onto the floor. It made a mess. Seriously I think it's because I have very thin blood. Fingerpricks bleed very good for me too. It stopped after about 10 minutes of pressure.
Type 1 for 25 years
Minimed Paradigm 723 w/ Minilink CGMS/Novolog
Avandia 4mg morning & night, Altace 10, Zocor 40mg
Testosterone Cypionate 200mg/week.
"Truth is treason in the empire of lies." - A Smart Man

belyro

belyro

• 500 plus
  • 1,893 posts
Jen and Noel are making me woozy.

XMenace.....now that's just mean and nasty. :eek:
~ Bethany ~

CGMS as of Apr. 2008

HollyB

HollyB

• 500 plus
  • 641 posts
Aaron hasn't had one yet, after just over a year. I guess he's due...
Holly
Mom to Aaron, 17, Type 1 Sept. 05

am1977

am1977

• 500 plus
  • 4,534 posts
I only got a gusher once... and, yes, it really gushed! Not sure if I hit a capillary or what, but something happened.

I wouldn't worry about it too much. Yes, it can happen, but I think it's few and far between...
I’ve faced myself
To cross out what I’ve become
Erase myself
And let go of what I’ve done

Put to rest
What you thought of me
Well I cleaned this slate
With the hands
Of uncertainty

So let mercy come
And wash away
What I’ve done

I’ve faced myself
To cross out what I’ve become
Erase myself
And let go of what I’ve done

Linkin Park~ "What I've Done" :thrasher:

tanyatype1

tanyatype1

• 500 plus
  • 1,889 posts
Hi Beth! I just had my first bloody one (hehe - get it?) last week. I was surprised because it's usually totally dry when I take out the set, but this time the blood started to drip, then run down my stomach. I leaned forward fast and tried to catch the blood in my hand (because I was wearing a new outfit dammit!:)) My son ran and got me a paper towel and after pressing on the spot for just a couple seconds, the bleeding stopped. Didn't hurt at all, just looked yucky. We laughed afterwards! (the outfit survived BTW, which is obviously the most important!) Not a big deal at all, honestly!
:coffee:

Happiness isn't getting what you want.....
It's wanting what you've got.

Kascie

Kascie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Dear Beth, in two years on the pump, I've had two gushers, and I wouldn't give up my pump for worries about them. Yes, there was a trickle down my stomach, but stopped in a few seconds when I held a tissue to the spot. In retrospect, both were my own fault as I was in a hurry and just tore my infusions off. The sites were both itchy at the time, which meant I'd left them on for too long and I knew I should have changed them.

Most people handle the pump wonderfully. I've been diabetic for over 30 years, and at 64 look and feel better than I did at that age, and I believe it is all due to the pump and my initiative to keep my blood sugars at a good level. Good luck with pumping!

duck

duck

• 500 plus
  • 6,671 posts
I've had one that was in my leg, before I could react it ran down the side of my leg, got on my chair, and then when I got up to try and waddle to the bathroom (no duck jokes, I had literally dropped trou to insert my next set into my other leg and I already had that one in and dangling), it ran all the way down my leg. Now that's a bleeder.
Look what you've done to this rock-n-roll clown!

Mich

Mich

• 500 plus
  • 2,242 posts
Any gusher can be stopped by holding a folded tissue/napkin/paper towel against it for a while using pressure. Hold your finger or palm (pad at the base of the thumb) against it until you get to the paper towel.

They are alarming. I have had only one and had't heard of them before it happened, so it was a surprise. I also have had the "squirt gun" effect when I do a fingerstick. I take ibuprophen, so probably have thinner blood.

Interesting lives we lead, huh? Mich

cheryl

cheryl

• 500 plus
  • 1,432 posts
Beth i just started pumping and me and my husband look like anal retentive examining my skin to see a clear site so there is no vein or little capilary to hit lol.....but i am sure i will stop this soon......and maybe have one

Cheryl
Don't know who I want as president, but I know I don't want to live like a communist....ENOUGH SAID.....

March a1c 6.4
Pumper 522 with Humalog

dancingwithbear

dancingwithbear

• 500 plus
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts
i have been pumping for about 3 yrs and had only one gusher.

Cyborg

Cyborg

• 500 plus
  • 7,865 posts
I've had 2 in 14 months of pumping. Once you had your first one, you tend to have paper towels around, just in case... ;)
You may call me Locutus Posted Image

ClaireZk

ClaireZk

• 500 plus
  • 282 posts
I've been pumping >1 week and I got my first gusher today. It didn't "gush" at all. As far as the actual quantity of blood it was like when you cry and you have tears rolling down your cheek...
It was just a gentle but steady stream of blood. As soon as I put pressure on it, it stopped. It wasn't anywhere near as bad as I expected, but it did leave a nice bruise :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users