Pineapple

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

slipperyelm

slipperyelm

• 500 plus
  • 1,465 posts
I am generally a low carber, but this morning I ate fresh pineapple. I had nothing but that and my usual tea because I figured I had put myself over my carbohydrate limit. However, I was surprised to find my blood sugar dropped to 76, It had been 89 before the breakfast pineapple. I was not active; I only did paperwork after eating the pineapple.

Is pineapple low on the glycemic index? I wouldn't expect so. Maybe this was just one of those inexplicable things that would never happen again when I eat pineapple.

princesslinda

princesslinda

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 16,045 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN
  • I am a:Type 2
Glycemic Index for: Pineapple
Food: Pineapple
Glycemic Index: 59
Glycemic Index Rating: Medium

Glad to know it didn't affect your blood sugar negatively. Haven't had any pineapple since diagnosis...may have to try it.

T2, diagnosed 8/31/06.
Meds: Metformin-ER 500 mg twice daily, HCTZ 12.5 mg every other day for BP Enalapril 20 mg 1 daily (ace-inhibitor)
Diet: I eat to my meter, generally eating 75-100 carbs/day with the occasional splurge.

slipperyelm

slipperyelm

• 500 plus
  • 1,465 posts
Yeah, 59, I looked it up after posting. But I will just say, Oh my gosh, it was the best pineapple I have had in my life! Even the core was edible and delicious. I know that because I was extracting the core to use in a home treatment for hayfever that my husband's Chinese colleagues recommend. (Just boil the core in water and bottle the liquid, then sip from it all day.) I cut up the core and tasted some in addition to all the decadent part I ate. :-

But this pineapple also had some powerful proteolytic enzmes. My tongue and corners of my mouth are still irritated. Did you know pineapple field workers may have no fingerprints due to the enzymes (I think bromelain/papayin) breaking down the skin on their hands? I learned that on an episode of Hawaii 5-0 when I was a kid.:D

So while we are on the topic, what other sweet fruits give you no to only a small rise in BG?

princesslinda

princesslinda

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 16,045 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN
I can eat a small pear or a green apple with no problems..also cantaloupe doesn't do much either, though i've heard others have problems with it. I'm not big on berries, so I can't help you there (though in my past life, I did love me some strawberry short cake;) )

T2, diagnosed 8/31/06.
Meds: Metformin-ER 500 mg twice daily, HCTZ 12.5 mg every other day for BP Enalapril 20 mg 1 daily (ace-inhibitor)
Diet: I eat to my meter, generally eating 75-100 carbs/day with the occasional splurge.

kgm0612

kgm0612

• 500 plus
  • 7,672 posts
I love pineapple but I have to limit my intake of it to a few small pieces........it's the same with cantelope and watermelon. I can eat 1/2 an apple or 1/2 a pear with no problems.

panda1076

panda1076

• 500 plus
  • 151 posts
That's interesting. For me, pineapple sends my BG through the roof! Evenjust one little piece and I skyrocket. Of course I still eat it anyways :)
Type 1, diagnosed 7/13/06
Using OmniPod w/Novolog (since 12/06)
A1C at diagnosis = 8.2
most recent A1C = 5.1

sweetcheeks

sweetcheeks

• 500 plus
  • 992 posts
i can eat pineapples, love them, but when i was a kid i was allergic....

pineapples have no affect my sugars... at least not negatively

i eat canned pineapples all the time, never had one fresh tho... dont know how id react to a fresh one lol
Stacey

1st A1c 10/2006 8.9
2nd A1c 1/2007 5.5
3rd A1c 4/2007 5.3
4th A1c 7/2007 5.5
5th A1c 4/2008 5.1
Latest A1c 10/2010 5.2

princesslinda

princesslinda

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 16,045 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN
Stacey...you must try fresh pineapple...there's really no comparison.

T2, diagnosed 8/31/06.

Penny

Penny

• 500 plus
  • 6,653 posts
A new discovery for me "canned peaches" without sugar. One half of the can does not bother my BS at all, and it is so good. I think even better than a fresh peach as it is so hard to eat one at the exact right minute. :) But no pineapple, it does raise BS. :(
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Love doesn't make the world go around, but it makes the ride worthwhile.

ClaireZk

ClaireZk

• 500 plus
  • 282 posts

So while we are on the topic, what other sweet fruits give you no to only a small rise in BG?

watermelon, berries and "hard" fruits that aren't too ripe yet like pears, mangoes, nectarines or peaches

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users