Photo

Has anyone used a TENS unit for foot pain?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

Johan

Johan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone has had good experience with a TENS unit to relieve foot pain due to neuropathy? A physical theropist (sp) recommended one but couldn't describe it so well.

What unit did you buy and what settting did you use? Any information that you can share would be great.

Thanks.

HeatherP

HeatherP

• 500 plus
  • 2,872 posts
I have a friend that uses some sort of electrical pulses to manage lower back pain. Is that the same thing?

HeatherP

Welcome, by the way!
Posted Image

To err is human, to purr feline >^.^<

T1 since 1991, Cozmo Pump 11/05

buzzborne

buzzborne

• 500 plus
  • 1,450 posts
HeatherP, yes that is the same sort of thing, I have used a TENS machine for my back also.

I borrowed it from a friendof the family, so not sure on the machine I used, but there are many different setting that you could possibly use so you can decide which one is best for you.

Sarah
~ SchaTzcheN ~

T1 since age 11

Now a qualified Norland Nanny

lgvincent

lgvincent

• 500 plus
  • 4,978 posts
I've never heard of this device. Does it help with the problem of numbness?
Brandy
My Little Princess
August 18, 1990 - May 3, 2006

Posted Image

Say you'll share with
me one
love, one lifetime . . .
Lead me, save me
from my solitude . . .

Say you want me
with you ,
here beside you . . .
Anywhere you go
let me go to . . .
Christine,
that's all I ask of . . .
(you)

Johan

Johan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I don't think so. I think TENS is just used in pain control and does not help with numbness.

dpav

dpav

• 500 plus
  • 252 posts
I was offered this unit in 89 and after all of the preparation like several other people I know, It was decided not to use this due to the serious infections it can cause and it would cause.
It does work well, but many people suffer from infections after the incretion and have it removed.
That was back then for me. I have a friend that has had this placed in her this past year and she was placed in the hospital for several weeks to recover from her infections with the device. It was placed in one area on her. I needed to have it in upper and lower sections to stop pain in both extremities.
Don

Johan

Johan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Dpav,

I think we are thinking about two different things. The TENS I'm talking about is Transcutaneous Electrical Nerve Stimulator. It's all externel to the body. The unit is a small box that runs on a 9 volt battery. It connects to electrodes that you stick to your body.

The unit will stimulate the area where the electrodes are at with electric signals. The electric signals block the signals produced by the nerves that are interpreted as pain.

dpav

dpav

• 500 plus
  • 252 posts
Yup
You are right we are thinking of two diferent devices. I thought that it was called TENS as well. I must be mistaken. But the unit I was going to use for pain control is internal and set on either side of the spine on the top of the back and one in the lower section for myself to gain control over both sections.
The one you described might be newer or even a better one. I might look into this and see if it may be better than the one I could not use.

Take care
\Don

Johan

Johan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Don,

The TENS unit I'm talking about seem much more simplistic then the one you are thinking of. A physical theropist told me about it. And looking up diabetic neuropathy, TENS is mention quite frequently.

I've seen these TENS unit on the web from $35, most are in the $50 to $100 range. Fairly inexpensive. The cheapers one will probably not last more for a year but it's a good place to start if just trying them out.

Please let me know what you find. I want more info before buying.

Btw, a found a device called the ReBuilder that claims to help with the pain and stop progression of neuropathy, but it's relatively expensive. I plan to post this on a separate discussion.

Thanks.

SunniD

SunniD

• 500 plus
  • 346 posts
I have used a TENS unit and it is good to help with neuropathy pain and can be worn similar to a pump. Just clip it onto your pants and hook up the electrodes. You can have it vibrate or small jolts at a variety of levels. Levels depend upon the quality of the unit you buy. Most good ones will cost between $300 -500 in Canada. You will need a good one if you plan on using it for some time. The cheap ones just don't do the trick or they burn out.

My sister used the TENS unit after a C-section instead of the drugs to eliminate pain. It worked and she was up within 12 hrs. and playing with the baby. Looked alot better than those on meds too. It is commonly used for some back surgeries where I work.

I have also heard that dialysis patient would be helped when they insert the fistula into the vein to help with the pain after.

If anyone has heart problems and plans on using it though it is advised to seek a medical opinion first. There is a warning listed that comes with the unit.

It's also great at parties to liven things up. Nobody needs alcohol - a jolt will do you!! <smile>

SunniD

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users