- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

Crepuscular

Crepuscular

• 500 plus
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Does anyone use non-dairy creamer? I ran out of cream this morning and used some in my coffee and was shocked to find my BS jumped 45 points. The stuff says that it only contains 1g of carbs per serving and I put 3 servings in my coffee.

I took a look at the ingredients and the first one was corn syrup solids. I won't be using that stuff again.

Anyway, has anyone else experienced really high spikes after using the stuff?

ClaireZk

ClaireZk

• 500 plus
  • 282 posts
Yes! I think it's the combination of the corn syrup and the caffeine. I had always heard coffee was a "free food," but I don't think that's necessarily true...

Crepuscular

Crepuscular

• 500 plus
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
When I use cream in my coffee I never get readings like that. I was seeing 15 points per carb! It seems worse than sugar. I guess I just got freaked out by seeing a reading so much higher than what I had expected for so few carbs. I usually see no more than 5 points per carb increase with most foods I eat.

I was just wondering whether anyone else has experienced such an increase with non dairy creamer. It is certianly going on my list of foods to avoid.

ClaireZk

ClaireZk

• 500 plus
  • 282 posts
There's a thread somewhere on here about the effects of corn syrup/corn on BG levels. The general consensus is that it is an evil food!

I don't have issues with regular cream either. The fat could potentially cause a raise for some people, but it would be more of a "plateau" than a "peak," if that makes sense...

someone

someone

• 500 plus
  • 1,227 posts
  • I am a:Type 1
I drink espresso and regular coffee all the time, and have always considered it "free".

As for the non-dairy, I have never tried it, but I find it hard to believe that it has the incorrect nutrition facts on it (that would be illegal). Are you sure you sure you got the serving size right?

Crepuscular

Crepuscular

• 500 plus
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
As for the non-dairy, I have never tried it, but I find it hard to believe that it has the incorrect nutrition facts on it (that would be illegal). Are you sure you sure you got the serving size right?[/QUOTE]

I am sure about the serving size. It was just weird. Anyone else out there want to try it and report back? I used Safeway's Generic Non Dairy creamer.

The funny thing is that I can have a square of Hershey's Extra dark chocolate (4.2g carbs) and my numbers only go up 10 points.

I guess I would be better off to drop a square of chocolate in my coffee rather than use creamer.:D

siamesekat

siamesekat

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi everyone, Well...I can't say for sure but I suspect it contributed to my blood sugar problems.

Last year my company installed instant coffee machines that dispensed delicious "cappuccino." I drank 1-2 of these every day. I LOVED them. I'm a health food junkie who eats mainly whole grains, no high fructose corn syrup, lots of fruits and vegetables, and little red meat, etc.

I couldn't find any nutrition info. on the machine. Then I met the guy who installed the machine and he told me that the coffee contained nondairy creamer. Aha!

In those 6 months I had been drinking that brew I gained 10 lbs. and I have not been able to shake it in the year since, even though I exercise like a fiend. AND I now have tested prediabetic. I've always been thin (even skinny at times) and like I said, I have really healthy habits AND I'm only 34. I do have a family history of diabetes but NO ONE in my family tested prediabetic at such an early age.

The moral of the story: Eat natural foods at all costs.

CarolM

CarolM

• 500 plus
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Don't use non-dairy creamer,it's not good for your health.Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

What was the point of it, anyway?

Shebalib

Shebalib

• 500 plus
  • 527 posts
I hate the stuff for the taste. Now I have another reason to politely refuse some! :)
Shebalib
A1c:
Dx(2006)=6.9
2007=10.9
2008=12.6 :eek:
2008=6.9 (5 mos later) :thumbsup:
2009=12.3:eek:
2010 Jan=10.7
2010 Dec=5.7
2011 June=5.9 :five:
2012 Jan=5.7 :dancing2:

6/11- lost 68lbs (from highest point)
1/12 - 56lbs lost (naughty holidays!)

Meds:
Levothyroxin
Metformin - 2000 mg/day
Novolin N - 28 units bedtime (going down!)
vitamins!

medartb

medartb

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

When I use cream in my coffee I never get readings like that. I was seeing 15 points per carb! It seems worse than sugar. I guess I just got freaked out by seeing a reading so much higher than what I had expected for so few carbs. I usually see no more than 5 points per carb increase with most foods I eat.

I was just wondering whether anyone else has experienced such an increase with non dairy creamer. It is certianly going on my list of foods to avoid.

I have found that my BS jump about 60 pointgs when I use the non dairy coffee creamer. I'm wondering if there is any made specifically for diabetics? Barb

Cormac_Doyle

Cormac_Doyle

• 500 plus
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationIreland (For Now)
  • I am a:Type 1
Unless you are ALLERGIC to the cream, why not just use real cream ?

HbA1c
2007/2008 - Sept 07: 10.9; Feb 08: 8.5; Sept 08: 7.3;
2009 - Feb: 7.5; Apr: 6.4; Aug: 6.1;
2010 - Jan: 7.0; Mar: 6.4; Jun: 6.1; Oct: 5.9;
2011 - Jan: 6.4; Apr: 6.5; Aug: 6.3; Nov: 6.2;
2012 - Mar: 6.7; May: 6.3; June: 6.2; Sep: 5.4; Dec: 6.0;
2013 - Mar: 6.1; May: 6.5; July: 6.3; Nov: 6.1;
2014 - Apr: 6.3;

Meds - Glucophage: 2000mg; Omega 3: 4000mg; Crestor: 20mg; Victoza: 1.8mg; Humulin: 150-250 iu ( originally 1800-2400 iu daily)

Started Pump: 10th April 2011 - Minimed Paradigm Veo

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users