- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

TenderVittleS

TenderVittleS

Banned

• Banned
  • 387 posts
I don't know if this is the right forum, but was just wondering if anybody knows if Blue Cross Blue Shield of Florida is a good program for diabetic supplies with low deductibles. I live in Florida and currently paying $100 month for employer health coverage thru Cigna. Any help would be appreciated.

JediSkipdogg

JediSkipdogg

• 500 plus
  • 8,757 posts
  • I am a:Type 1
The problem is it's really hard to say. You can't compare insurance companies to one another, it's like comparing apples to oranges. Then, inside the insurance company you have tons of plans. So in a sense, you are comparing red apples to green apples still.

A small change on the same plan can mean $10 a month more in premiums but might cut prescription copays in half. So really, one has to look at what they are willing to pay in copays and premiums a month to see what is the best combination. And then at the same time they have to keep in mind to keep ER visits affordable so they don't get slapped with a $1000 ER bill and can't pay that off.

●Police Dispatcher
●Type 1 diabetic since 11 months old
●Pumper since December of 2002
~Animas IR 1000 (Dec. 2002 - Jan. 2005)
~Animas IR 1200 (Jan. 2005 - Jan. 2009)
~Cozmo 1800 (Jan. 2009 - ?)
●Dexcom Seven+ (Aug 1, 2009 - Oct 31, 2012)
●Dexcom G4 (Nov 1, 2012 - ???)

Diabetes is an Art, NOT a Science. You must master the control by skills and not by knowledge alone.

panda1076

panda1076

• 500 plus
  • 151 posts
FYI--If you are getting health insurance through work, different companies have different policies, even if the various companies all used BCBS Florida. So what's "good coverage" for one person might be different at your company.

But for what it's worth... I use BlueCross BlueShield of Minnesota (thought I live in Massachusetts) and I am on an EPO plan. I pay $0 for my OmniPod supplies. My company uses a different company for prescriptions, so through their plan, I get 2 months prescriptions for the price of 1 month copay. My company's BCBS policy has high copays--$35 for non-primary care office visits :(

when I was using BCBS of Massachusetts, I was using their online pharamacy (express-scripts) and getting 3 months for the price of 1 month copay. (And $10 for all office visits) through my husband's company's policy.
Type 1, diagnosed 7/13/06
Using OmniPod w/Novolog (since 12/06)
A1C at diagnosis = 8.2
most recent A1C = 5.1

CaptainMike

CaptainMike

• 500 plus
  • 290 posts
I have BCBS of FL Blue Options and it is costing me $492 a month through Cobra, and I am not happy with them at all. $25 copays for most of my meds per month, but not a lot of Dr.'s in my area are in their 'Network' and my out of network costs are really high per visit; $150 and up mostly. My GP accepts most health plans, including bost BCBS plans, but not the 'Blue Options' one I'm on due to the fact their 'allowable expenses ' are so very low. I'm trying to get on my spouses work plan through United Healthcare which isn't much better, but it is less expensive.

dancingwithbear

dancingwithbear

• 500 plus
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts
i have cigna and live in florida. i love the plan. test strips are free, pump supplies are free, doc visits are 15 copay. what is the problem with your insurance?

ClaireZk

ClaireZk

• 500 plus
  • 282 posts

I don't know if this is the right forum, but was just wondering if anybody knows if Blue Cross Blue Shield of Florida is a good program for diabetic supplies with low deductibles. I live in Florida and currently paying $100 month for employer health coverage thru Cigna. Any help would be appreciated.

I have Independence Blue Cross PA. Its a group plan through my university. It is expensive ($3k/year upfront), BUT they covered my pump and supplies 100% so it was well worth it. Copays are $10-15/visit and RX copay ranges from $0-30. Hope that helped somewhat.

Zippora

Zippora

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Health insurance plans differ in every state. I think the best you can do is visit your insurer's office.

alura

alura

• 500 plus
  • 980 posts
I have BCBS HealthSelect in Texas through my employer (State of Texas). After paying 100% for supplies since July, I learned that they will pay 80% through the medical coverage, not the prescription coverage, as I assumed. They classify the testing items as Durable Medical Equipment (go figure...) I do agree that you need to research what is right for you, but please check both the prescription and medical coverage.
alura
"Livin' Life by the Drop" - SRV

Diagnosed T2 July 2008 -- Metformin 1000 mg:2xdaily/Prilosec/Celexa

A1c Jul '08 = 6.8
A1c March 2013 = 5.4

Distracted

Distracted

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

I have BCBS of FL Blue Options and it is costing me $492 a month through Cobra, and I am not happy with them at all. $25 copays for most of my meds per month, but not a lot of Dr.'s in my area are in their 'Network' and my out of network costs are really high per visit; $150 and up mostly. My GP accepts most health plans, including bost BCBS plans, but not the 'Blue Options' one I'm on due to the fact their 'allowable expenses ' are so very low. I'm trying to get on my spouses work plan through United Healthcare which isn't much better, but it is less expensive.

Be extremely careful, Capt. My period of entitlement under COBRA is about to expire and I cannot find an individual plan that will cover me because of T-2. It looks as though I may have to resort to the state sponsored high risk pool, administered by BCBS. It is going to hammer me financially. Monthly premium is $755.00 and with that I get an 80/20 Plan,$7,500.00 annual deductible, a limit of three routine visits to my PCP annually, and no prescription drug benefits until annual deductible is met. I'm pretty well scr**ed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users