- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

Jan2306

Jan2306

• 500 plus
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts
I'm a bit freaked out right now and could use your support to answer questions about kidney problems. I've only been dx one year but my microalbumin/creatine ratio was high 3 months ago at 42 (normal is <30). My endo said there is often a false positive and we'll test again in three months so don't worry. Just got my results and it's even higher at 52. Haven't met with my endo yet but know the next step is an ace inhibitor. But does that just slow the failure down or can it be reversed? Once it starts, how fast does it progress. I went up almost 10 points in three months so if dialysis is needed at 300I'll be in trouble within years. Is it inevitable that I will have need dialysis and transplant at some point?

The good news is I had my first A1c since starting the pump and was 6.0 (started at 16.3 a year ago and then went to 10.4, 6.9, 6.8, and now 6). But I can't even celebrate this great number because I'm so freaked out about my kidneys.
Dx Jan 2006
Last A1c 5.5 Aug 2007 (2nd on pump)
First A1c 16.3 Jan 2006
Started pump 1/30/07

duck

duck

• 500 plus
  • 6,671 posts
I remember when I was researching a pump back in 2001, MM sent me a video where one of the people who were "actual customers" said prior to the pump, he was diagnosed with diabetic retinopathy...he went on the pump, and it stopped.

So, that story could be BS. But I am sitting here trying to think through why, if you got yourself under TIGHT control, that diabetic kidney failure could occur...or more specifically, how kidney functions could continue to deteriorate if under control. So take the bull by the horns, I say.
Look what you've done to this rock-n-roll clown!

owlyn

owlyn

• 500 plus
  • 1,465 posts
Don't panic. Microalbumin is an indicator that there could be kidney problems later on. The ACE inhibitor should fix you up. It's pretty much SOP for many diabetics.
Posted Image
Unless otherwise stated, the opinions expressed here are my own and are in no way intended to be considered as anything other than my opinion. That's my story and I'm stickin' to it.

BriOnH

BriOnH

• 500 plus
  • 2,607 posts
I have read no cases of reversal of actual failure from diabetes. I had kidney failure from an infection and was on dialysis for three months, but they came back working at about 90%.

Dialysis is like torture imo. Keep your BGL's tight. I need to do a better job as well.

HiImDan

HiImDan

• 500 plus
  • 2,665 posts
My kidneys were down to 18½% and I was looking at dialysis for certain. Today they function at 20% so I have some breathing room. Yes. damage to the kidneys is reversable if caught in time.
"Blessed is the man, who having nothing to say, abstains from giving wordy evidence of the fact."
- George Eliot (1819-1880)

Here's my pet, GodzillaPosted ImageTime to switch to decaf, eh?

Isaiah 32:5 The vile person shall be no more called liberal...

Better to remain silent and assumed a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.
-Socrates

A wise man speaks cuz he has something to say, a fool speaks cuz he has to say something.
-Plato

blacklightmike

blacklightmike

• 500 plus
  • 392 posts
For what it's worth, when I was admitted to the hospital in February, I was diagnosed with osmotic diuresis, and my kidney function was at 50%. Insulin therapy brought the number right back into line again.

My point is, it can be reversed.
-Mike

"I can live with doubt and uncertainty and not knowing. I think it is much more interesting to live not knowing than to have answers that might be wrong." -Richard Feynman

HUMALOG 75/25
ACTOS 30mg
SYNTHROID 300 mcg
COZAAR 100 mg
TRICOR 145 mg
QUINAPRIL 10 mg

BriOnH

BriOnH

• 500 plus
  • 2,607 posts
Kidney damage can be reversed, no doubt. Don't let doctors tell you differently, as some are very old school and will show you an irreversible progression curve.

Failure though I do not believe can be reversed. At that point you are SOL. If someone knows or have heard differently please post.

Jan2306

Jan2306

• 500 plus
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts
I actually didn't mean kidney failure - I meant early kidney disease. Dr. Berstein says he reversed his but mostly I hear that you can stop it from progressing to renal failure with good control and meds - but not reverse it. Have my endo appointment next week so will see what she says.
Dx Jan 2006
Last A1c 5.5 Aug 2007 (2nd on pump)
First A1c 16.3 Jan 2006
Started pump 1/30/07

HiImDan

HiImDan

• 500 plus
  • 2,665 posts
Good luck. I've had kidney disease since I was diagnosed, I should have made that clearPosted Image
"Blessed is the man, who having nothing to say, abstains from giving wordy evidence of the fact."
- George Eliot (1819-1880)

Here's my pet, GodzillaPosted ImageTime to switch to decaf, eh?

Isaiah 32:5 The vile person shall be no more called liberal...

Better to remain silent and assumed a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.
-Socrates

A wise man speaks cuz he has something to say, a fool speaks cuz he has to say something.
-Plato

BriOnH

BriOnH

• 500 plus
  • 2,607 posts

Good luck. I've had kidney disease since I was diagnosed, I should have made that clearPosted Image

Dan, May I ask what your:
creatnine, BUN, and Potassium levels are in your blood, and what numbers are off in your urinalysis (uAlbumin, Protien, Specific Gravity, PH, etc.. )?

Lets prove a point here and show it's reversable.

Tucker

Tucker

• 500 plus
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts
I would think that lowering the protein intake would help out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users