- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

sherry

sherry

• 500 plus
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
I have several old blood sugar monitors that I don't need because I keep upgrading. Does anyone know of any organizations, charities, etc. that accept them as donations. Thanks for any suggestions--I hate to just throw them in the trash.

Who?

Who?

• 500 plus
  • 150 posts
Many are reluctant to accept them due to a perception that there is no way to use a blood glucose meter with out its becoming contaminated. It is a challenge to sterilize them without ruining them. You can wipe the outside with 10% bleach, isopropanol etc., but there are still questions.

I agree that it is a shame that they can't be used, but.......

someone

someone

• 500 plus
  • 1,227 posts
  • I am a:Type 1
Blood glucose monitors really are not worth anything. New ones can easily be obtained for free or at a minimal cost.

Guest_murphysl_*

Guest_murphysl_*
  • Guests
I remember reading somewhere on the Internet a while back that veterinarians will sometimes take them for their clients who have diabetic dogs/cats. I've also read that some people have given theirs to homeless or women's shelters. Good luck--it does seem wasteful to trash them.

notme

notme

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 13,219 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
  • I am a:Type 1
I think it is really shameful that we waste something that could be used by someone less fortunate than ourselves. I guess it is true that they are almost a freebee, but many people can't even afford to go to a doctor. I think that a local dog rescue group would be a great way to use them.
maxwellsmiles1.jpg

Nancy

“I don't expect everything to be handed to me. Just set it down anywhere.”.

diagnosed type 1 October 1986
currently using Medtronic MiniMed
Revel 723 with CGMS
CLEAR [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

lewsterr

lewsterr

• 500 plus
  • 383 posts

Many are reluctant to accept them due to a perception that there is no way to use a blood glucose meter with out its becoming contaminated. It is a challenge to sterilize them without ruining them. You can wipe the outside with 10% bleach, isopropanol etc., but there are still questions.

I agree that it is a shame that they can't be used, but.......

If this is true about contamination, how can all the endos out there use the same meter to test all their patients? If there was any chance of contamination, I'm sure the meters they use would be disposable just like the lancets.

Posted Image

Metformin ER - 1000 mg 2x/day
Avapro - 75 mg/day
Lipitor - 40 mg/day
Aspirin 81 mg - 2x/day

Kate H

Kate H

• 500 plus
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts
Doctors without borders would happily accept the glucose meters...... providing you can still buy strips for them....... i usually donate a box of strips with the meter too
kate

Who?

Who?

• 500 plus
  • 150 posts
Lew;

It has always been my understanding that the offices used single-use lancing devices to avoid contamination and that only the person doing the test handles the meter, not the stickee.

sherry

sherry

• 500 plus
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Thanks so much for the suggestions. Vets, "doctors w/o borders", animal shelters, homeless and women's shelters sound like good ideas. I have contacted a few of these places, but haven't heard back yet (due to Memorial weekend, I imagine). With all those options, I'm sure I can find homes for these old meters. Thanks again.

JasonJayhawk

JasonJayhawk

• 500 plus
  • 1,069 posts
I've had a hard time disposing of old meters, but meter companies are more likely to get tax benefits out of donating new meters -- and the people who could "receive" them are more happy to deal with those, than to attempt to find donations of meters that have to then be sorted out and matched with test strips. (If universal/generic test strips existed, this wouldn't be a problem).

Once the meter has been used, it's considered a biohazard.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users