- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

Kay2

Kay2

• 500 plus
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts
Is anyone else trying the cinnamon supplement to help stabilize blood sugars? I added it last month and from what little I can tell this soon, it does help keep my sugars on a more even keel.

Kay

princesslinda

princesslinda

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 15,797 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN
  • I am a:Type 2
I can't take the cinnamon tablets...they were really hard on my stomach. Instead, I add regular cinnamon to foods or tea every day. That works well, and is cheaper than the supplements. Not sure if they do anything or not, but I like the taste, so I figure why not?

T2, diagnosed 8/31/06.
Meds: Metformin-ER 500 mg twice daily, HCTZ 12.5 mg every other day for BP Enalapril 20 mg 1 daily (ace-inhibitor)
Diet: I eat to my meter, generally eating 75-100 carbs/day with the occasional splurge.

sherry

sherry

• 500 plus
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
I have had good luck lowering my glucose levels with a natural supplement called 'low glycemic sugar metabolizer' by irwin naturals. It has several ingrediants, but one of them is cinnamon. I thought the following thread had good information on cinnamon especialy by wiseguy.

http://www.diabetesf...hlight=cinnamon

bryan42

bryan42

• 500 plus
  • 918 posts
So That Means We Can Eat At Cinnabons!!?????
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Diagnosed Type 2 April '07
(April '07-A1C= 6.9)
(August '07 A1C= 6.4)
(March '08 A1C= 6.4)
(June '08 A1C= 6.3)
(Sept '08 A1C= 7.4)
(Dec '09 A1C= 8.0)
(Nov '10 A1C= 8.6) whoops! :o
(Sept '11 A1C= 10.9)
(March '12 A1C=6.9! BOOYAH)
(October '12 A1C=7.1 )
(April '13 A1C=7.6 )
(Sept '13 A1C=6.6 ) hard work is paying off!

Phil 4:13

Penny

Penny

• 500 plus
  • 6,653 posts

So That Means We Can Eat At Cinnabons!!?????

MMMMM Cinnabons! Been so long, I thought I dreamed them up. Cinnamon did not help me at all, but I have been experimenting with vinegar and noticing some success. Now if it only tasted like Cinnabons! :D
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Love doesn't make the world go around, but it makes the ride worthwhile.

Kay2

Kay2

• 500 plus
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts
Not unless you go in and just ask for a spoonful of cinnamon plain (:( sorry lol).

I take the cheapo form ($8 for 200 of the 500mg) of pure cinnamon, Linda. But I take it with the metformin (like you suggested breaking them in half and taking them 4x a day) so I know I have something in my stomach. So far, so good. I'm like you, I really like it to begin with.

I'm going to read the post, ty for adding it to this thread, Penny.

Kay

Kay2

Kay2

• 500 plus
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts
Apparently I forgot my gingko this morning...LOL sorry for the name mix up!

Kay

wiseguy

wiseguy

• 500 plus
  • 639 posts
This is just a copy of a post that I made in another thread on the same subject.

Anyone who wants the real scoop on cinnamon needs to watch this video. Go to This Web Page and follow the "Cinnamon Improves Risk Factors for Diabetes and Cardiovascular Diseases" link. (You will need to enter a name and email address although they need not be authentic.)

Kay2

Kay2

• 500 plus
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts
Yesterday after reading all of the pros and cons (from the other threads on cinnamon therapy, too) I decided maybe I was taking too much cinnamon and was going to do harm in the long run. I'd been taking 500mg with a half metformin 4 times a day. It sounds like a lot, but is the equivalent of 2 tsps.

I ate exactly the same. My counts skyrocketed! I went from a nonfasting after breakfast count (with cinnamon - no more for the rest of the day with the metformin) of 124 to 155 before dinner to 167 after dinner and 174 before bedtime! This morning my fasting was 155 again!

For me, cinnamon apparently helps maintain and keep from rising and spiking so severly. Normally my counts are between 84 at the lowest and 135 after some meals (high side like corn on the grill..yum!LOL).

It surely isn't right for everyone, but seems to help me a great deal.

Kay

Montana1

Montana1

• 500 plus
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Hello Kay,
Several times I woke up with numbers between 100-112. I decided to start taking 1 tsp of cinnamon at bed time. I have since changed to tea of cinnamon stick and a little sprinkle of cinnamon in it. I now wake up to numbers below 99. I also eat a little piece of cheese with it. I am sure though that it is the tea that is keeping numbers down in normal range. When do you take it? before a meal or whith a meal?
Montana

LynnRut

LynnRut

• 500 plus
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
These are very encouraging responses. I am amazed that something so simple could make such a difference. Any particular things to look for when picking a type of cinnamon (brand, etc)?

wiseguy

wiseguy

• 500 plus
  • 639 posts
The type of cinnamon is the type you find in the spice section of your grocery store. It's better to opt for the capsules as I've read that saliva can lessen the effectiveness. I don't think there is any difference between brand names (it is just capsules filled with cinnamon after all). The capsules I buy are 500 mg and I take two of them twice per day (with breakfast and dinner).

xMenace

xMenace

• 500 plus
  • 11,105 posts

These are very encouraging responses. I am amazed that something so simple could make such a difference. Any particular things to look for when picking a type of cinnamon (brand, etc)?

Ya, your metformin or insulin or whatever other drugs you need to keep your BGs normal.
Michelle Oberg "yep....stop trying to make vegetables taste like meat.....you made your choice, now live with it hippies"

Back on MDI and doing well. Trying Victoza and loving it. A1C 6.0, no major hypos; a few highs; lots of shots. Diagnosed Oct 19th, 1975.
HDL-101; LDL-64; TG-36; TOT-172

wiseguy

wiseguy

• 500 plus
  • 639 posts

Ya, your metformin or insulin or whatever other drugs you need to keep your BGs normal.

Hmm... must not have understood the question.

FrankMaviglia

FrankMaviglia

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
I recently discovered that Cinnamon will lower my blood glucose levels, I am now wondering what dosage I should be taking. I find that my morning level is good ie between 90 and 120, but my evening levels are not what I would like, anywhere from 130 to 300.

I currently take 500mg in the morning. Would taking more in the afternoon/evening help?

xMenace

xMenace

• 500 plus
  • 11,105 posts

I recently discovered that Cinnamon will lower my blood glucose levels,

How do you know this? Have you ruled out every possible variable with a valid scientific testing approach?

It's dangerous for any of us to make simple cause and effect conclusions.

I currently take 500mg in the morning. Would taking more in the afternoon/evening help?

Try it. I'm betting no.
Michelle Oberg "yep....stop trying to make vegetables taste like meat.....you made your choice, now live with it hippies"

Back on MDI and doing well. Trying Victoza and loving it. A1C 6.0, no major hypos; a few highs; lots of shots. Diagnosed Oct 19th, 1975.
HDL-101; LDL-64; TG-36; TOT-172

mmiser

mmiser

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
I find that even using cinnamon in my oatmeal in the morning lowers my sugar. I am fighting high levels every since I had a heart cath 3 week ago. Man I've been maxed out on the metformin 2000 mg/day. Recently started back on chromium and using cinnamon. I see a difference already. Cut back to 1500 mg or metformin. I'm going to try the time released cinnamon and see if that helps. I also hear that vanadium helps like cinnamon.

sable_032592

sable_032592

• 500 plus
  • 525 posts
i'm trying cinnamon as well... in capsules, love the smell of the bottle... :D i'm not sure of the dosage but the bottle says to take one (1) a day, so that's what i'm doing... i usually do that anyway, if something needs to be taken a few times a day, i start with one (1) and gradually increase it to whatever dosages i need... like with metformin, i was rx'd 850mg 2x a day which was kinda hard on my stomach (and those around me, those who have taken this know what i'm talking about... ;) )... i started at one (1) pill a day for a week to ten (10) days then i took the two (2) a day...

in some cases, even my doc told me to do it that way, with some pills... like my domperidone (for slow stomach/neuropathy)... i take 3 a day, but for one (1) week, i took one (1) a day, then the second week i took two (2) and the third week, i was up to three (3)... just to get the body acclimated to the new drug/substance in the body...

not sure if cinnamon is working for me yet, but i hope to see some good results, cuz my last A1C was 13.6 :eek:
sable,
type 1 diabetes since march 25th, 1992

Posted Image
www.spca.com

sable_032592

sable_032592

• 500 plus
  • 525 posts
i just read the thread that was linked in this one... the jist of that one: it works for some and doesn't work for others... like any other drug, be it synthetic, natural, enhanced, etc...

i take natural supplements for some things and drugs for others... i find that if i take only my effexor xr without my two (2) st. john's wort a day, i don't feel as bad as i used to, but i still feel weepy and jittery and anxious... so i take a combination of natural and pharmaceutical (sp?)...

according to book i just bought from reader's digest (in the section on diabetes - the book is called food cures, it's for everything)...

Cinnamon appears to increase the body's ability to use glucose by 20 percent. One study showed that eating 1/4 to 1 1/4 teaspoons (1 to 6 millilitres) a day for 40 days reduced blood glucose levels by 18 to 29 percent.

however, it says this in the beginning of the section...

Studies have found that cinnamon lowers blood sugar, cholesterol (including bad or LDL), and triglycerides and boosts the efficiency of insulin, all factors important in fighting diabetes and heart disease. Certain compounds in cinnamon help cells take in glucose to use as energy, as insulin does, which in turn lowers blood sugar. Cinnamon also contains manganese, a mineral that appears to help the body use blood sugar.

so all in all... the end result is, it works for some and doesn't work for others... the point is to try things in moderation, never to excess...

the book also says these nutrients / supplements are good for diabetics too...

Vitamin C, D & E, zinc, magnesium and calcium (if you want me to type up the paragraph on these, let me know...):

Vitamin C - 500 to 1000 milligrams daily
Vitamin D - 400 to 800 IU daily
Vitamin E - 400 IU daily
zinc - 30 milligrams daily
magnesium - 300 milligrams daily
calcium - 1200 milligrams daily (chewable absorbs better into the blood stream and also should be taken in two doses, 600mg in the morning and 600mg at night)...
sable,
type 1 diabetes since march 25th, 1992

Posted Image
www.spca.com

overmywaders

overmywaders

• 500 plus
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
I'm new to the forum and diabetes. My PCP of 16 years had his nurse call me a month ago to tell me I have diabetes and should take Metformin... oh, and also cut back on potatoes, pasta, and rice. I mention that as an indication of the level of diabetic education I was offered.

I tried the Metformin and within two hours had a significant adverse reaction that put me in bed on O2 for two days. [Background: I am 58, male, look physically healthy but am afib, fully-paced since 1999, now dual-paced with ICD (I asked them to throw an IPod in as well - so I could have a song in my heart -- no go), severe idiopathic (which means "doctor is a pathetic idiot") cardiomyopathy, spinal stenosis, peripheral neuropathy, to which I added - last month - diabetes and glaucoma.] It appears that Metformin is not the best mix with Class III heart failure. (It can precipitate fatal lactic acidosis.)

My new doctor put me on 1/2 tsp of raw cinnamon (ground Cassia bark from the grocery store, not true cinnamon) with breakfast and GTF Chromium - 200mcg twice a day. Within a week my fasting glucose went from 155-168 to 99-120. YMMV, of course - we all have different metabolisms.

Warm regards,
Reed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users