• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

Kimber

Kimber

• 500 plus
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
Hi all,
I have recently discovered Dreamfields Pasta. All pastas to date for me (wholewheat, whole grain, soy, veggie, etc..) have sent my numbers way up but Dreamfields has what they call "protected carbs" and I can eat a real serving (not just one third cup, which is about 6 noodles) of one cup dry pasta and only get 5 carbs:) I wondered if anyone else has any info on what a protected carb is. Dreamfields' website only says it is a trade secret. I am curious because if they can do it for pasta, can't they do it for other foods too? It doesn't make my numbers go up, it tastes great, it doesn't upset my insides, it seems to have no down side, ...Hmmmm, this is new.
Kimber

Funnygrl

Funnygrl

• 500 plus
  • 6,758 posts
I checked the website. 2oz has 42 grams of carb, 5 of which are fiber. I would therefore bolus for 37 grams of carb. I really find it hard to believe that the who 5 grams of digestable carb is anything but a sales pitch. I really suspect you'll still see a significant blood sugar raise.

CaptainMike

CaptainMike

• 500 plus
  • 290 posts
Mendosa has a fair bit of info on Dreamfields on his website. It really does seem to work for me as well, with +2 hour readings of 120-130 as opposed to 180+ with regular whole wheat or even wheat and soy pasta. I have had it spike my numbers once, out of around 20 times of testing after eating it. I have also read that if you overcook it or cook it IN a sauce the 'protected' carbs become unprotected. They have actually done something (proprietary) to the carbohydrate molecules themselves to make them less digestible. They claim a clinically tested GI rating of 13. It makes me a bit 'windy' and causes some intestinal distress for my wife, to the point where she won't eat it, so I just cook two seperate batches.

wiseguy

wiseguy

• 500 plus
  • 639 posts

I checked the website. 2oz has 42 grams of carb, 5 of which are fiber. I would therefore bolus for 37 grams of carb. I really find it hard to believe that the who 5 grams of digestable carb is anything but a sales pitch. I really suspect you'll still see a significant blood sugar raise.

The Dreamfields claims are for real. This is science, not hype. Unless you extremely overcook it, a two ounce (dry weight) serving provides only 5 net carbs. I eat this pasta on a regular basis and it has very little affect on my BG levels. I know of others who experience the same results.

Funnygrl

Funnygrl

• 500 plus
  • 6,758 posts
Fiber is the only kind of carb your body truly can't digest, other carbs will digest, all be it slower, but will digest.

Cyborg

Cyborg

• 500 plus
  • 7,865 posts
I know a type 1.5 that only takes lantus at night (still honeymooning). He says he can eat Dreamfields without much impact while other pasta shoots up his bg. Never tried it myself...
You may call me Locutus Posted Image

NoraWI

NoraWI

• 500 plus
  • 1,560 posts
  • LocationSW Wisconsin
  • I am a:Type 1
I've tried them cooked per their instructions and also undercooked. They don't work for me. Dreamfields have now come out with lasagna noodles, too. Pity! But I can't deduct fiber for dosing purposes either, nor eat anything with sugar alcohols. They all spike me.
NoraWI
T1 since 2002, MDI since 2004
Pumping NovoLog with an Animas Ping since May 2010

shockme

shockme

Banned

• Banned
  • 3,316 posts
i've been wanting to try it-but-does it taste the same as "regular"pasta?!trish

cheryl

cheryl

• 500 plus
  • 1,432 posts
I have no problem with any pasta's at all, I eat one cup bolus for 40 carbs and stay very very level.....Now find me a good rice I can eat and we will talk;)

Cheryl
Don't know who I want as president, but I know I don't want to live like a communist....ENOUGH SAID.....

March a1c 6.4
Pumper 522 with Humalog

Kimber

Kimber

• 500 plus
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
Shockme,
Dreamfields tastes exactly the same as regular pasta to me. I just count a serving as 5 carbs and it doesn't make my numbers do much of anything!! Now if only they could make "protected carb pizza"!!!
kimber

BriOnH

BriOnH

• 500 plus
  • 2,607 posts

I agree but it seems that everyone who is trying it attests to is only being 5g.

Did the website say what a protected carb is and how it is protected? The 37g of carb I would imagine has to hit the blood stream at some point.

jerryn

jerryn

• 500 plus
  • 634 posts
Wow.. you mean I can actually eat shrimp scampi made with this stuff and not worry about my glucose spiking over 180?

wiseguy

wiseguy

• 500 plus
  • 639 posts

I agree but it seems that everyone who is trying it attests to is only being 5g.

Did the website say what a protected carb is and how it is protected? The 37g of carb I would imagine has to hit the blood stream at some point.

This will answer all your questions Dreamfields Pasta, Healthy nutrition frequently asked questions

BriOnH

BriOnH

• 500 plus
  • 2,607 posts

This will answer all your questions Dreamfields Pasta, Healthy nutrition frequently asked questions

OMG!!! I have tried that!! My mom and dad use that pasta sometimes!

I am sorry, and it's just my opinion, but I think it tastes terrible. When they come to visit me or I them, they know not to use it around me!! My dad swears it tastes just like regular pasta, but I for sure notice it tastes nothing like good pasta.

someone

someone

• 500 plus
  • 1,227 posts
I don't remember what brands I have tried, but when I was on NPH/Humalog, I tried a couple and thought they were all horrible.
Type 1 diagnosed in 2003. Experience with MDI, Guardian RT, Dexcom Seven Plus, Animas 1250, Animas 2020. Currently using Minimed Paradigm 722 w/CGMS.
http://www.diatalk.org

Alfred777

Alfred777

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
im actually type 2 and love dreamfield pasta. taste great and i really dont see any big spikes. the protectiveness has something to do with taking the carbs to the digestive part of the body instead of the bloodstream.

Funnygrl

Funnygrl

• 500 plus
  • 6,758 posts
See, the thing is, not seeing bg spikes doesn't mean your body didn't digest the carbs, it may just mean it did it slower. That makes it hard for us pumper and mdi'ers to bolus properly.

shabbie6247

shabbie6247

• Validating
  • 629 posts
i've tried dreamfields pasta twice this last week, only bolused for the recommended 5g per serving, i got no peaks, needed no correction either. i ate it with a veggie tomotoe sauce just to be sure.
i think the dreamfields has a slightly different texture to regular pasta, a bit similar to gluten free variations, only it holds its shape and doesnt crumble!

i also tried the shirataki 'miracle' noodles, cant say i was over thrilled with them but i dont think i served them to get the best flavours. they are a bit like fat glass noodles. no bolus required at all!
Sharon
Posted Image

Kimber

Kimber

• 500 plus
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
Shabbie,
Where did you find the "miracle noodles" ? On line? I can't believe how hard it is to find foods made with the 21 million diabetics in this country in mind!! I live in the biggest city in Oregon and no one has figured out there is a market niche there yet.
kimber

shabbie6247

shabbie6247

• Validating
  • 629 posts
hi kimber,
[url=http://www.miraclenoodle.com/]Shirataki MiracleNoodle Shop![/url]

as i'm based in the uk i got mine from a uk company.

theres a couple of threads about these noodles too.
Sharon
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users