Chili Con Carne - Renal diet

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

mg_2204

mg_2204

• 500 plus
  • 3,271 posts
Again, another great recipe for people on a renal diet.

This was was also a great success and much liked.

CHILI CON CARNE -

Serves 6

Serving size : 1 cup

Ingredients:

1 1/2 pounds lean ground beef
16 ounce can stewed tomatoes, blenderized
1 tablespoon oil
1-2 tablespoons chili powder (to taste)
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 stalk celery, chopped
1/2 cup chopped green bell or chili pepper
1 1/2 cup of water

Preparation :

Heat large skillet on medium heat. Add oil, onion, celery and pepper until tender, but not brown. Add ground beef, breaking into small pieces and cook until brown. Add blenderized tomatoes, chili powder and water. Mix thoroughly; reduce heat to low. Simmer for several hours (2 hours is more than enough in my opinion).

Calories : 260
Protein 22 g
Carbs 5 g
Fat 14 g
Sodium 116 mg
Potassium 438 mg
Phosphorus 190 mg

Renal and renal diabetic food choices : 3 ounces of meat, 1 medium potasium vegetable

Note : You can freeze it too!

xMenace

xMenace

• 500 plus
  • 11,118 posts
I love chile, and this is pretty close to my standard Betty Crocker recipe. I cook down the meat with the onions and celery. I use two cans of tomatos and no water. I also add red kidney beans for the last 20-30 minutes. Worcester (sp?) sauce, 1 tsp sugar, frozen corn, and other spices such as coriander and cumin work well too.

There's so many variations. It's hard to go wrong.

Virginia Woolf: “Consider how common illness is, how tremendous the spiritual change that it brings, how astonishing, when the lights of health go down, the undiscovered countries that are then disclosed, what wastes and deserts of the soul a slight attack of influenza brings to view, what precipices and lawns sprinkled with bright flowers a little rise of temperature reveals, what ancient and obdurate oaks are uprooted in us by the act of sickness, how we go down in the pit of death and feel the waters of annihilation close above our heads and wake thinking to find ourselves in the presence of the angels and the harpers when we have a tooth out and come to the surface in the dentist's arm-chair and confuse his "Rinse the mouth-rinse the mouth" with the greeting of the Deity stooping from the floor of Heaven to welcome us - when we think of this, as we are so frequently forced to think of it, it becomes strange indeed that illness has not taken its place with love and battle and jealousy among the prime themes of literature”
Back on MDI and doing well. Trying Victoza and loving it. A1C 6.0, no major hypos; a few highs; lots of shots. Diagnosed Oct 19th, 1975.
HDL-101; LDL-64; TG-36; TOT-172

mg_2204

mg_2204

• 500 plus
  • 3,271 posts
It's the most adaptable recipe I know! My family will add a bit of sour cream on top and eat it with tortillas. I make mine quite spicy!

But of course, if you're on a renal diet, you must be careful with potassium, phosphorus, and sodium...

blacklightmike

blacklightmike

• 500 plus
  • 392 posts
I'm on a real chili kick, and can't wait to give this one a try. Thanks!
-Mike

"I can live with doubt and uncertainty and not knowing. I think it is much more interesting to live not knowing than to have answers that might be wrong." -Richard Feynman

HUMALOG 75/25
ACTOS 30mg
SYNTHROID 300 mcg
COZAAR 100 mg
TRICOR 145 mg
QUINAPRIL 10 mg

HiImDan

HiImDan

• 500 plus
  • 2,691 posts
Posted Image
"Blessed is the man, who having nothing to say, abstains from giving wordy evidence of the fact."
- George Eliot (1819-1880)

Here's my pet, GodzillaPosted ImageTime to switch to decaf, eh?

Isaiah 32:5 The vile person shall be no more called liberal...

Better to remain silent and assumed a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.
-Socrates

A wise man speaks cuz he has something to say, a fool speaks cuz he has to say something.
-Plato

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users