What does Sugar Alcohol mean?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

Rob43

Rob43

• 500 plus
  • 2,839 posts
What is Sugar Alcohol? I bought some candy that is called Russell Stover Mint Patties. It's sugar free with Splenda. It says it has no sugar in it but it has sugar alcohol. Total carbs is 27g, serving size is three pieces.

Thanks, Rob

Glycem

Glycem

• 500 plus
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
I have no idea what Sugar Alcohol is, but I just had to comment on seeing another idiotic package claiming to be sugar free especially saying made with Splenda, but having 27g of carbs per 3 pieces. Annoys the Heck outta me. You might as well just get the real deal which would probably have less carbs then this "Sugar-Free" candy...

JediSkipdogg

JediSkipdogg

• 500 plus
  • 8,758 posts
  • I am a:Type 1

I have no idea what Sugar Alcohol is, but I just had to comment on seeing another idiotic package claiming to be sugar free especially saying made with Splenda, but having 27g of carbs per 3 pieces. Annoys the Heck outta me. You might as well just get the real deal which would probably have less carbs then this "Sugar-Free" candy...

There is a huge difference as sugar has other side effects not related to diabetes at all. Dental problems are ones that come to mind to me.

Sugar alcohol - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Essentially it is a sweetener like Splenda or Nutrasweet. It doesn't have the tooth decay of regular sugar, generally less calories than regular sugar, and has a less effect on the BG (for diabetics.)

●Police Dispatcher
●Type 1 diabetic since 11 months old
●Pumper since December of 2002
~Animas IR 1000 (Dec. 2002 - Jan. 2005)
~Animas IR 1200 (Jan. 2005 - Jan. 2009)
~Cozmo 1800 (Jan. 2009 - ?)
●Dexcom Seven+ (Aug 1, 2009 - Oct 31, 2012)
●Dexcom G4 (Nov 1, 2012 - ???)

Diabetes is an Art, NOT a Science. You must master the control by skills and not by knowledge alone.

Glycem

Glycem

• 500 plus
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Ya, I see what your saying Jedi. I've spent the majority of my life avoiding sugar and anything with sugar, so I've never really bothered to think of what sugar does to your body elsewise.

sweetcheeks

sweetcheeks

• 500 plus
  • 992 posts

What is Sugar Alcohol? I bought some candy that is called Russell Stover Mint Patties. It's sugar free with Splenda. It says it has no sugar in it but it has sugar alcohol. Total carbs is 27g, serving size is three pieces.

Thanks, Rob

Sugar alcohol's depend on the person. I can deduct the sugar alcohol's from the total carb just like i can the fiber in most things. But some people may not be able to. The only way to find out is to eat and test.

It does have less calories which can be good if you are counting calories etc.

The only ill effects that it can have on a person is the fact that if you eat too much of it, it can give you the laxative affect. However my body doesnt seem to respond that way to it.

I agree with some products just eating the regular thing but others such as hard candy like the crystal light candies... OMG they are so good even if your not diabetic lol I also eat no sugar added ice cream instead of the real thing, as it may have less fat and less calories. Other feel differently. Only you can make the decision to eat it or not.

Hope this helps
Stacey

1st A1c 10/2006 8.9
2nd A1c 1/2007 5.5
3rd A1c 4/2007 5.3
4th A1c 7/2007 5.5
5th A1c 4/2008 5.1
Latest A1c 10/2010 5.2

volleyball

volleyball

• 500 plus
  • 2,040 posts
Sugar alcohol is not a bad thing, but just like sugar, you need to do it in moderation. I know when I've had too much as it makes me "burp" out the back end.

rzrbks

rzrbks

• 500 plus
  • 4,673 posts
  • LocationHogwarts, Hobbiton, Galactic Milieu
  • I am a:Type 1.5

volleyball

Sugar alcohol is not a bad thing, but just like sugar, you need to do it in moderation. I know when I've had too much as it makes me "burp" out the back end.

Yep, that's the problem lots of people have with sugar alcohols, it sends you to the bathroom--------a lot!
"I am wounded," he said, "wounded, and it will never heal."

Frodo to Samwise

painthorse

painthorse

• 500 plus
  • 234 posts
I am sort of interested in what side effects real sugar has in 27g amounts! Related or not to diabetes. Curious ........

princesslinda

princesslinda

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 15,927 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN
  • I am a:Type 2
I have found that I can eat 3 pieces of Dove dark chocolate or hershey kisses and have no problems with blood sugar rise in either the 1 hr or 2 hr afterwards..and it curbs the chocolate craving.

Not long after diagnosis, hubby and I went to the movies and I made us a "goodie bag," complete with s/f Reese cups (3), s/f Hershey bars (2) and s/f chocolate covered peanuts.

Midway through the movie, my stomach made a sound i'd never heard before :eek: ...I could hear it through the movie sounds, followed by a sharp lower abdominal cramp...I had to "run" to the bathroom, and stayed there a good while...hubby didn't eat as many "goodies" as I did and had no problems. Now I just avoid the s/f goodies and have a very small amount of the "real thing" when I absolutely must.

T2, diagnosed 8/31/06.
Meds: Metformin-ER 500 mg twice daily, HCTZ 12.5 mg every other day for BP Enalapril 20 mg 1 daily (ace-inhibitor)
Diet: I eat to my meter, generally eating 75-100 carbs/day with the occasional splurge.

barko

barko

• 500 plus
  • 315 posts
-lol

Tried alot of that "sugar-free" candy right after I got diagnosed...
Most of it has Sorbitol....which acts like a laxative ;-)

One of my kids ate a whole bag of it once - zoinks! ;-)

Sorbitol - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote from that link:

"Sorbitol is a sugar substitute often used in diet foods (including diet drinks) and sugar-free chewing gum. Sorbitol is produced naturally by the body, yet sorbitol is poorly digested by the body. Too much sorbitol in cells can cause damage.

Diabetic retinopathy and neuropathy may be related to excess sorbitol in the cells of the eyes and nerves. The source of this sorbitol in diabetics is excess glucose, which goes through the polyol pathway. Ingesting large amounts of sorbitol can lead to some abdominal pain, gas, and mild to severe diarrhea. Sorbitol can also aggravate irritable bowel syndrome and fructose malabsorption."

I'll take a small chunk of normal, dark chocolate anytime...none of that other stuff.
If you find yourself in a hole...stop digging

Diagnosed: T2 - 2003
MDI: Levemir / Novolog
Meter: Contour USB

amyjo29

amyjo29

• 500 plus
  • 104 posts
Sugar alcohol is something they use as a substitute for sugar. This will not hurt you but you need to be careful with how much sugar alcohol you consume...it will cause stomach aches and diarrhea.

Rob43

Rob43

• 500 plus
  • 2,839 posts
Hi, I'm having this problem right now with stomach aches and diarrhea because of eat to much of this sugar-free candy. I will not eat anymore of this candy.

Rob

sweetcheeks

sweetcheeks

• 500 plus
  • 992 posts
Moderation....... Moderation......
Stacey

1st A1c 10/2006 8.9
2nd A1c 1/2007 5.5
3rd A1c 4/2007 5.3
4th A1c 7/2007 5.5
5th A1c 4/2008 5.1
Latest A1c 10/2010 5.2

volleyball

volleyball

• 500 plus
  • 2,040 posts

Hi, I'm having this problem right now with stomach aches and diarrhea because of eat to much of this sugar-free candy. I will not eat anymore of this candy.

Rob

I guess the operative word is to (too) much.

Just look at this as a cheaper alternative to a system flush.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users