- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

bortiz

bortiz

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
just diag 3 mo ago..type2 on metformin now and gotta watch what i eat even more..i excercise and was never overweight...damn genetics...thanx dad...just venting here

KCP

KCP

• Members
  • 427 posts
Its ok.. Ive had T1 for 16 years. no family history, just developed a weird illness and POW! Type one with no pancreas!
ANd i still hate it.........
T1 for 21 years, PCOS. split dose Lantus, NovoRapid & Metformin.
DP - IT extraordinare
Darling daughter arrived 15/09/12 :love:
DSS - Think your stressed? Try having AUTISM

Feb 10 = 7.1
Feb 11 = 7.3
Apr 11 = 7.6
Jul 11 = 7.3
Oct = 7.2
Jan 12 = 7.4
Apr 12 = 6.2
July 12 = 6
Oct 12 = 7

hannahanne

hannahanne

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts
I can't disagree. It's stinks, but I am also thankful that although there is no cure that ways have been developed so that we can control and live with it. In the not too distant past, people got it and simply died.

At the age of sixty, I'm not sure that there will be a cure in my lifetime, but for the younger diabetics, I feel that they can count on much easier ways to control it and a cure.

Life with diabetes is a real pain, but it's much better than the alternative.

bortiz

bortiz

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
i guess...it's like the old saying " it's better then a kick in the
face"

ant hill

ant hill

Essentric Dancer

• Seniors
  • 7,784 posts
  • LocationHastings Melbourne Australia
  • I am a:Type 1
yeah i hate this desiese with a passion and MDI for most of my life and it sucks bad!!!
Somewhare in this forum is celibrating the diagnosis, The next question is "why". :confused:

nz9q.jpg

Peter...

xMenace

xMenace

• Seniors
  • 11,118 posts

just diag 3 mo ago..type2 on metformin now and gotta watch what i eat even more..i excercise and was never overweight...damn genetics...thanx dad...just venting here

Given enough time everyone would be D.

Welcome to our world. I see chat will be a bit livelier ;)

Virginia Woolf: “Consider how common illness is, how tremendous the spiritual change that it brings, how astonishing, when the lights of health go down, the undiscovered countries that are then disclosed, what wastes and deserts of the soul a slight attack of influenza brings to view, what precipices and lawns sprinkled with bright flowers a little rise of temperature reveals, what ancient and obdurate oaks are uprooted in us by the act of sickness, how we go down in the pit of death and feel the waters of annihilation close above our heads and wake thinking to find ourselves in the presence of the angels and the harpers when we have a tooth out and come to the surface in the dentist's arm-chair and confuse his "Rinse the mouth-rinse the mouth" with the greeting of the Deity stooping from the floor of Heaven to welcome us - when we think of this, as we are so frequently forced to think of it, it becomes strange indeed that illness has not taken its place with love and battle and jealousy among the prime themes of literature”
Back on MDI and doing well. Trying Victoza and loving it. A1C 6.0, no major hypos; a few highs; lots of shots. Diagnosed Oct 19th, 1975.
HDL-101; LDL-64; TG-36; TOT-172

shockme

shockme

Banned

• Banned
  • 3,316 posts
welcome bortiz!yeah-diabetes sucks big time!!!and when i'm having a bad diabetes day-where i'm fed up with it-i say"thanks alot dad!"!he was a type 2...so i can relate-totally!come here to vent whenever you need to!take care,trish

barko

barko

• Members
  • 315 posts
I don't know about you guys....but...

I love feeling like a yo-yo and a human pin-cushion - its a party ;-)

BRB - gotta go slam my head in a car door.
If you find yourself in a hole...stop digging

Diagnosed: T2 - 2003
MDI: Levemir / Novolog
Meter: Contour USB

BriOnH

BriOnH

• Seniors
  • 2,607 posts
I can't imagine life without being diabetic, so I envy you in that regard, but know that the best of your life is still to come.

I totally need to make sugar free fortune cookies.

mg_2204

mg_2204

• Seniors
  • 3,271 posts
I hate having the big stupid D but on the other hand... if I didn't, I wouldn't come to this great wonderful place filled with you guys!!!! :)

volleyball

volleyball

• Seniors
  • 2,040 posts
For the type 1's. you are kinda stuck. But for the type 2's, think of it as a mixed blessing. If you are here, you are working on improving yourself. Managing your D means that you have a vested interest in your health. You may crave that big plate of french fries smothered in ketchup but you refrain. Someone without D may indulge, you are healthier for it.

GhostRydr

GhostRydr

• Members
  • 301 posts
I was recently diagnosed, Type 2. yeah I hate it, hate the thought of having something that is incurrable.

However, there are two positives for me that came out of this:
1. I'm eating much healthier, more aware of foods.
2. I met a lot of great folks here that are so very supportive.
I don't believe in a no-win scenario.

bryan42

bryan42

• Seniors
  • 918 posts
:o Its a Love/Hate thing with me. If I didnt get Diabetes, I would have kept on eating bad and not exercising. Now, I walk 3 miles EVERYDAY and I eat like a spokesperson for "Healthy Living". Down 23 pounds with 7 more to go (per doc) but Im not stopping at 30 :) PLUS, the doc wants to cut my meds in half on next visit. I have never felt this GREAT in my life, and I have quite a history (heart attack,ulcer..etc..) Yes, I have "those" days also, but I see this as a blessing ;)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Diagnosed Type 2 April '07
(April '07-A1C= 6.9)
(August '07 A1C= 6.4)
(March '08 A1C= 6.4)
(June '08 A1C= 6.3)
(Sept '08 A1C= 7.4)
(Dec '09 A1C= 8.0)
(Nov '10 A1C= 8.6) whoops! :o
(Sept '11 A1C= 10.9)
(March '12 A1C=6.9! BOOYAH)
(October '12 A1C=7.1 )
(April '13 A1C=7.6 )
(Sept '13 A1C=6.6 ) hard work is paying off!

Phil 4:13

gelchick

gelchick

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts
I wouldn't choose to have diabetes, but when I'm down I try to think of it like this- if I was diagnosed with most big-time bad diseases (like cancer) there wouldn't be much I could do to manage the outcome. With type 2 diabetes, I have the choice to exercise, eat right, lose weight- and my choices do affect my outcome. I may be living in a fool's paradise, but knowing this I do make the right choices in an attempt to delay or avoid the complications. sandy

Donaldopato

Donaldopato

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
As others have said, it is indeed a mixed blessing. I have lost weight, eat healthier, better understand nutrition, yet have to be the aforementioned human pin cushion, take medicine forever, visit the Dr way too often and never really get over this thing.

On the whole it stinks.
DON
http://donaldopato.blogspot.com/
Always read stuff that will make you look good
If you die in the middle of it.

ant hill

ant hill

Essentric Dancer

• Seniors
  • 7,784 posts
  • LocationHastings Melbourne Australia
  • I am a:Type 1

I hate having the big stupid D but on the other hand... if I didn't, I wouldn't come to this great wonderful place filled with you guys!!!! :)

Yes marie, It's things that we get around our deseise that makes the all the difference and freinds are such good resorce. So give yourselves a appluse because we help each other in our deseise. And a problem cannot be fixed without asking. ;) :T

nz9q.jpg

Peter...

shabbie6247

shabbie6247

• Validating
  • 629 posts

For the type 1's. you are kinda stuck. But for the type 2's, think of it as a mixed blessing. If you are here, you are working on improving yourself. Managing your D means that you have a vested interest in your health. You may crave that big plate of french fries smothered in ketchup but you refrain. Someone without D may indulge, you are healthier for it.

as someone who has experienced both type 2 and type 1 style of treatments i think i actually prefer type 1 management, i found it really difficult to manage my diet as a type 2 (this was before my final diagnosis of type 1.5 for those of you who are confused)
i must be the only d person here who doesnt actually hate/despise (sp?) this disease!

i should add that i didnt jump up and down at diagnosis saying "yippee i got myself diabetes!"
Sharon
Posted Image

princesslinda

princesslinda

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 16,060 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN
  • I am a:Type 2
Welcome Bortiz...Glad you found the forum! Lots of great people and good information here. Look around, learn all you can and you'll do fine. Diabetes is a scary diagnosis, but you can and will learn to have a happy and healthy life with it. It does get easier as time passes (though we all have our days!).

You're not alone, we're all in this together.

Again, Welcome!
Linda

T2, diagnosed 8/31/06.
Meds: Metformin-ER 500 mg twice daily, HCTZ 12.5 mg every other day for BP Enalapril 20 mg 1 daily (ace-inhibitor)
Diet: I eat to my meter, generally eating 75-100 carbs/day with the occasional splurge.

bortiz

bortiz

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
thanx everyone here is great...i just gotta face the facts..

karen

karen

• Members
  • 219 posts
I hate diabetes as well, and I know, I know there is always worse things, but when you are having a really bad roller coaster of a day, it totally sucks, and the 24/7 of it all gets to you but...........
.............. then I go to my endo and see children who are being treating for other endocrine diseases and I realize how much worse things could be for me.

As with any chronic illness there are worse things to have.

I have also noticed that non diabetics don't realize how awful it is, even someone who is pregnant. My little sister is pregnant right now and she talks about how awful she feels, and I get tired of listening to it and I just want to say try diabetes for a day, but I know she would not think it is as hard as what she is dealing with and would not give me an ounce of sympathy, or if I tell my girlfriend I should not be eating something, she states none of us should be, it is bad for everyone, and I realize no one really understands how we feel about our own disease.

Hope this makes sense as I am rambling.

Karen
Type 1 for 42 years
Pumping for 5/Medtronics MM

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users