Broken toe

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

cheryl

cheryl

• 500 plus
  • 1,432 posts
Umm...well, I broke my toe, like a few weeks ago how long does it take to heal I heard 6 weeks, and all, i got numbing feelings going all the way up my leg on the side. Well it stops before the knee, but anyway, i dunno, my toe feels fine and all, I just don't want to spend a crap load of money and them tell me my toe is fine......and I just hurt some nerves, it is not discolored and you'd never would of known I broke it....oh well maybe I am just paranoid, it just seems weird that my foot feels like a brick and when I walk I stomp on it a lot so I look retarted stomping on this foot....

Cheryl
Don't know who I want as president, but I know I don't want to live like a communist....ENOUGH SAID.....

March a1c 6.4
Pumper 522 with Humalog

Penny

Penny

• 500 plus
  • 6,653 posts
I broke my little toe, once. They did not do anything at all with it, just told me my toe was broke. It did make my whole foot swell for a couple of weeks, and it hurt to walk on it. I was grateful it was in the summer so I could wear flip flops, because no shoe fit the foot. I don't remember any pain in my leg though, so maybe you should check it out. Because of the Diabetes, we just can't let things go like other people. Sorry you are hurting, I found Ibuprofen helped. :)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Love doesn't make the world go around, but it makes the ride worthwhile.

princesslinda

princesslinda

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 15,827 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN
  • I am a:Type 2
Cheryl, sorry to hear about your toe. Hope it starts feeling better soon.
Found this information on line, thought you might be interested.

Treatment of a broken toe

Broken toes are tough to treat but if we stick to some fracture care principles we know we're going to help. First, it is a good idea to get an X-ray. The key to healing is to insure that the fracture is aligned and shows good apposition. Without good alignment and good apposition the fracture will not only take longer to heal but may heal incorrectly and be crooked.

Second, rest is imperative. Rest can be many things from bed rest to a walking cast. Rest will allow the body to begin the process of healing.

Buddy splinting of the toes works for some and not for others. Toes are difficult to wrap therefore they're tough to splint. Self adherent wrap such as Co-Flex works well for buddy splinting of the toes. Fracture shoes are also helpful to allow for ambulation while offering enough room for the sore toe.

Ice, elevation and an anti-inflammatory medication helps ease the pain. Fractured toes may take up to 10 weeks to heal.

T2, diagnosed 8/31/06.
Meds: Metformin-ER 500 mg twice daily, HCTZ 12.5 mg every other day for BP Enalapril 20 mg 1 daily (ace-inhibitor)
Diet: I eat to my meter, generally eating 75-100 carbs/day with the occasional splurge.

Penny

Penny

• 500 plus
  • 6,653 posts
Now that you mention it Linda, they did tape my two toes together and tell me it was a "clean break".
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Love doesn't make the world go around, but it makes the ride worthwhile.

cheryl

cheryl

• 500 plus
  • 1,432 posts
Yea my toe was taped but ummm, i couldn't stand it anymore.....it drove me nuts....I couldn't rest cause umm seven kids LOL.....oh well, if it can take up to 10 weeks that might be the case, it doesn't hurt, it just feels numb so it is like I am lugging bricks i look really stupid stomping on that foot

Cheryl
Don't know who I want as president, but I know I don't want to live like a communist....ENOUGH SAID.....

March a1c 6.4
Pumper 522 with Humalog

shockme

shockme

Banned

• Banned
  • 3,316 posts
hi cheryl!ya oughtta get it checked out...with the numbness going up your leg...better safe than sorry!take care,trish
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]]jan.a1c-9.2...may a1c-6.1...aug.a1c-5.8 jan.a1c 6.0Posted Image

lgvincent

lgvincent

• 500 plus
  • 4,978 posts
I would encourage you to go see a doctor. I broke my right ankle skydiving many years ago and the right big toe was in INTENSE pain. I thought that was where the break was. I drove to a hospital about 30 miles away and was in so much pain I had to use my left foot to operate the pedals. Good thing I didn't have to use the brakes. (I've never used them before so why should I have started then?) Although the doctor said the ankle was broken, I still believe I did damage to the toe because of the intense pain and the fact that it is still swollen and I have limited movement with it 28 years after I broke it.
Brandy
My Little Princess
August 18, 1990 - May 3, 2006

Posted Image

Say you'll share with
me one
love, one lifetime . . .
Lead me, save me
from my solitude . . .

Say you want me
with you ,
here beside you . . .
Anywhere you go
let me go to . . .
Christine,
that's all I ask of . . .
(you)

grace girl

grace girl

• 500 plus
  • 1,500 posts
I have a reputation as a bit of a clutz...I've broken all of my toes except for the big ones at least once. (However, as a bonus I can ALWAYS tell when it's going to rain!) They are rather painful, and can really take a long time to heal. I think the longest was about 6 weeks before I was pain free.
I have to say, though, I never had numbness and the pain was always just the toe....sounds to me like either your injury is more than you realize, or perhaps while trying to function with the pain you've done something else.
I'd consider getting it checked out.
~Holly~
Incorrectly dx'ed type 2 7/00 :eek:
Correctly dx'ed type 1 5/01
MDI
Lantus 2x daily & Humalog

cheryl

cheryl

• 500 plus
  • 1,432 posts
I went to the hospital that night just to make sure it was just the pinky toe, and that is all i broke, so i dunno, what the problem is, yea i guess i better, just everyone around me at home is making me feel like i am being over paranoid....

Cheryl

March a1c 6.4
Pumper 522 with Humalog

GhostRydr

GhostRydr

• 500 plus
  • 301 posts

just everyone around me at home is making me feel like i am being over paranoid....

Cheryl

Sorry to hear about your toe, those are nasty injuries in that they you cannot just say off your feet for 10 weeks or so.

As far as being paranoid, caring about your health isn't paranoid.... :)
I don't believe in a no-win scenario.

cheryl

cheryl

• 500 plus
  • 1,432 posts
Ok going to call a podiatrist first thing in the morning is that a good dr. to go to LOL....i dunno I went to the er...cause it happened at night and my toe was pointing the other way, anyone who knows my myspace page can look at the pic it is gross LOL....i kept a towel over my foot cause i couldn't look at it

oh well calling dr in the morning thanks guys for not making me think I was crazy....everyone around me is like wait the full 6 weeks

Cheryl

March a1c 6.4
Pumper 522 with Humalog

Mich

Mich

• 500 plus
  • 2,242 posts
Cheryl,

I think I must be a distant relative of Grace Girl. I manage to break toes on a regular basis, particularly if I sail barefoot (which I don't do anymore!)

I would have it looked at if it were pointed the wrong way though!

You limp a while. Your foot turns weird colors. Your leg muscles hurt and get numb because you are walking funny. Eventually it will be another blip on the screen. Hang in there!

Mich:stickyman

kgm0612

kgm0612

• 500 plus
  • 7,672 posts
It won't hurt to make an appointment with the foot doctor. He's the expert.......let him tell you what you should or shouldn't be doing.

Good luck, Cheryl.

Karen

notme

notme

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 13,143 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
  • I am a:Type 1
Sorry about the toe. I have broken mine a couple of times. I guess I am a klutz too. One of the times it was an open wound and a break so I went to the doctor for antibiotics. There is not much they can do for a broken toe. Buddy bandage is about it and you just have to wait it out. If you are concerned that you might get an infection or it needs to be manipulated, then you should definitely see an orthopedic doc. Good luck.
maxwellsmiles1.jpg

Nancy

“I don't expect everything to be handed to me. Just set it down anywhere.”.

diagnosed type 1 October 1986
currently using Medtronic MiniMed
Revel 723 with CGMS
CLEAR [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

cheryl

cheryl

• 500 plus
  • 1,432 posts

Cheryl,

I think I must be a distant relative of Grace Girl. I manage to break toes on a regular basis, particularly if I sail barefoot (which I don't do anymore!)

I would have it looked at if it were pointed the wrong way though!

You limp a while. Your foot turns weird colors. Your leg muscles hurt and get numb because you are walking funny. Eventually it will be another blip on the screen. Hang in there!

Mich:stickyman

That is why I went to the ER that night it was awful, the x ray just showed the pinky toe nice and broke LOL....and I guess i was stupid I had a wedding to go to, like in four days and danced on it wore uncomfortable shoes, I guess I didn't let it rest at all, then come back home, house cleaning kids out of school, going to the lake VBS, running here and there, stubbing it once again, just a bit, It don't hurt at all, it looks so normal now, no bruise no nothing, just it is numb like down my foot and up the side of my leg below the knee, and sometimes, I stomp when I walk cause i guess it is numb, so i look retarted, this happened 5 weeks ago, and the stomping is annoying and getting worse and I thought by now, the numb feeling would subside but it hasn't so I made the appointment, will let you all know how it goes....

Cheryl

March a1c 6.4
Pumper 522 with Humalog

LancetChick

LancetChick

• 500 plus
  • 402 posts
See an orthopedic surgeon rather than a podiatrist. Take vitamins.... you need extra now, especially vitamins C, calcium and magnesium and vitamin D. When I broke my ankle last year, my OS told me not to take anti-inflammatory painkillers like aspirin and Advil, because he said that inflammation promotes healing. For the first two weeks, my insulin requirements skyrocketed because of the swelling, so make sure you keep your blood sugars totally in check, because high blood sugar can prevent bone healing.

cheryl

cheryl

• 500 plus
  • 1,432 posts
Great, right after the pinky toe incident my flippin sets kinked twice and i had a faulty bottle of insulin nice so after the fourth day of my broken toe, i had high's grrrrr....but afterwards i have been good till ummm this weekend more kinks oh my goodness oh well

Cheryl

March a1c 6.4
Pumper 522 with Humalog

andypoo

andypoo

• 500 plus
  • 1,865 posts
I,also broke my little toe about 10 yrs. ago and I can still feel it just thinking about it. It hurt for a long,long time. I wore very padded tennis shoes after the worse soreness wore off a little because frankly I couldn't hardly stand or stand to touch ot. Put on sorta snug padded socks and very cushiony tennis shoes. Try that and see if it helps.
Difficulties present choices:
we can either waste away from
our wounds or use them to grow our souls

The balance is,as always,delicate
We are constantly falling off one side are the other.
But the center is always there,waiting for us to discover it.

"Before you know kindness / as the deepest thing inside, / you must know sorrow / as the other deepest thing…. / Then it is only kindness / that makes sense anymore…."

JediSurfer

JediSurfer

Banned

• Banned
  • 793 posts
Hey Cheryl,

Only just saw this thread. I must be going blind.lol

Sounds painful. I do beleive that us t1's do take longer to heal than your average non diabetic. And the blood sugar levels will influence the healing process. Cant talk from my own personal experiance because I have never broken any bones.

I hope it fixes soon and doesn't cause to much agro.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users