- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

PepsiLvr

PepsiLvr

• 500 plus
  • 470 posts
Hi,

My neurologist is recommending I have an EMG test for the numbness / pain in my lower legs and feet. My question is, has anyone ever had one of these? He really didn't explain what it was but when I looked it up on the internet all I could find was bad things about having the test. Some people say that it is extremely painful and they they would never want to go through it again. Others say that it made their condition worse.

Any help / comments would be appreicated.

Thanks!!
The answer to 1984 is 1776

SunniD

SunniD

• 500 plus
  • 346 posts
The test is very simple and you will have no problems with it.

Electrodes are place appropriately on the sites(arms & legs for example) to test certain nerves and then a slight jolt is applied similar to getting a shock when you walk across some carpets. The test is a snap and usually no harm will come to the patient.

I do want to caution you on making sure you have enough glucose in your system for the nerves to function as properly as they're going too. I went after work one time and my bgs was
in the process of being real low. The tech got no response which is impossible so she increased the intensity of the jolts 3 x on my right leg. There was damage caused where the electrode was placed and that spot doesn't feel as well as the rest of the leg although the rest of the leg isn't perfect either<smile>. This apparently can never happen or so I'm told but make sure your bg is good when you go so that it can't happen to you. I have no fear of getting the test done again and it does give them really important data
on your nervous system.

Come back and tell us after you've had the test what you thought of the procedure.

SunniD

Deager

Deager

• 500 plus
  • 128 posts
pepsilvr,

Jack has had a couple of EMG's done on his hands, arms, legs and feet. I recently had two done on my hands because of carpal tunnel. While the electrical impulses can be uncomfortable at their highest, they weren't painful to us. I did have to have something done afterwards that involved sticking needles deep into my hands and arms and that was horribly painful and I will NEVER have that done again (I'd rather go thru childbirth again!).

What I would really like to say in response, is to do whatever your doc tells you to do to keep any neuropathy from spreading and getting worse. This usually means keeping very good (excellent if possible) control of your diabetes. Once Jack was diagnosed with neuropathy in his legs and feet in '79, I made sure his control was good (if not excellent). Because of this the seriousness of the neuropathy was slowed considerably; however, Jack recently had to have a Dopplar test done that uncovered vascular problems in his legs which led to an MRA last week. The report states that he now has severe blockage from his knees on down in both his legs. He is currently taking Pletal to help the blockage, but if this doesn't help significantly, he faces vascular surgery.

So please, take care now so things won't be so bad later.

Diane

PepsiLvr

PepsiLvr

• 500 plus
  • 470 posts
Thanks for your replies. That kind of puts my mind at ease. I think I go the 21st for the EMG so I'll update everyone afterwards. I do like to think that I have a high tolerance for pain so maybe it won't be so bad.

Thanks again.

srgw

srgw

• 500 plus
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts
Hi!!

Had this test a few months ago and it was slightly uncomfortable when they use a little a more intensive shock otherwise it is a breeze.
I found out that when I went home I took a shower and felt more relaxed after the test as it relaxes
your muscles.

Steve
New Jersey

HeatherP

HeatherP

• 500 plus
  • 2,872 posts
I had it done once. It was quite unpleasant, but I've had worse. If your doc thinks it's necessary, then you should go and have it done.

I wouldn't volunteer to have it done again, but if I had to I'd do it.

HeatherP
Posted Image

To err is human, to purr feline >^.^<

T1 since 1991, Cozmo Pump 11/05

PepsiLvr

PepsiLvr

• 500 plus
  • 470 posts
Thanks everyone. They just called and changed my appointment to tomorrow. What Fun!! :rolleyes: I'll let everyone know how it went.

lgvincent

lgvincent

• 500 plus
  • 4,978 posts
Is this the test where they run the electical shock through the nerves to see how they are working? Oh, I hate that test so much. I've had it done several times and while it isn't really bad, I really don't care for it too much. However, I may be thinking of a different test.
Brandy
My Little Princess
August 18, 1990 - May 3, 2006

Posted Image

Say you'll share with
me one
love, one lifetime . . .
Lead me, save me
from my solitude . . .

Say you want me
with you ,
here beside you . . .
Anywhere you go
let me go to . . .
Christine,
that's all I ask of . . .
(you)

HeatherP

HeatherP

• 500 plus
  • 2,872 posts
Nope, that's the one, LG.
Posted Image

lgvincent

lgvincent

• 500 plus
  • 4,978 posts
Ah, yes! I remember now! Those Chinese guys that did it to me that first time. I'm sure they got their training in the Chinese prisoner of war camps during the Korean war. They told me to just sign my name on a large check made payable to them and they would stop. I refused and paid the price.
Brandy
My Little Princess

Posted Image

Say you'll share with
me one
love, one lifetime . . .
Lead me, save me
from my solitude . . .

Say you want me
with you ,
here beside you . . .
Anywhere you go
let me go to . . .
Christine,
(you)

PepsiLvr

PepsiLvr

• 500 plus
  • 470 posts
They said there's two parts to the test, 1) "a technician stimulates the nerves" and 2) the doc inserts a needle into the muscle to check for damage. OUCH!! :eek: Whatever does'nt kill me can only make me stronger, right? LOL

HeatherP

HeatherP

• 500 plus
  • 2,872 posts
Now, LG, you're gonna scare Pepslvr!

Lol,
HeatherP
Posted Image

notme

notme

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 13,164 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
  • I am a:Type 1
I had the EMG test done a year ago to check for neuropathy. When the EMG came back with some questions they decided to do what he referred to as a radiography test (or something like that). He said it was another type of nerve conduction test. It sounded not so bad.....needles and stimulating the muscles. The tests showed I had peripheral neuropathy of the radial nerve in my arms. I guess I am happy I know what was causing the pain, but not sure this test was worth it just to know.

Don't be afraid to ask for some pain meds. I don't know why they don't offer you something for this test. If I had the test again, I would insist. (I have had five babies weighing as much as ten pounds without any medication at all). I would not have this test again without at least laughing gas...LOL

If it is only an EMG you are going to have, then I would not concern about it pep. The EMG is not great, but not horrible. I could do that one again with no difficulty.

Nancy

PepsiLvr

PepsiLvr

• 500 plus
  • 470 posts
OUCH!! OUCH!! :(

Well, I just got done with my test.

The electrode shock part wasn't that bad but the second part where they put the needle into your msucle sucked!! I had to bite my fingers it hurt so bad. I wouldn't want to go for that again. The only thing that still hurts though is where they stuck the needle in my my thumb near my wrist. I think it will be sore for a couple days. I'm still alive though. I told the tech that if her job didn't work out she could always get a job working for the government (torture) :) LOL!! Anyway, the doc said I have moderate to severe neuropathy but he still isn't sure if it's from diabetes or not. I still have to go for a blood test and I guess that will give him more answers. Compared to this, the blood test should be nothing! I don't really know what the neuropathy could be from, there's no family history of it just like there's no family history of diabetes! There's a first for everything... LOL!

lgvincent

lgvincent

• 500 plus
  • 4,978 posts
You haven't had diabetes too long, have you? I was the first to develop it in my family but since then MANY of my aunts, uncles, cousins, and even grandparents (3) developed adult-onset diabetes. I guess I can think of myself as a trendsetter and this is one of those trends I've helped start in my family.
Brandy
My Little Princess

Posted Image

Say you'll share with
me one
love, one lifetime . . .
Lead me, save me
from my solitude . . .

Say you want me
with you ,
here beside you . . .
Anywhere you go
let me go to . . .
Christine,
(you)

HeatherP

HeatherP

• 500 plus
  • 2,872 posts
Glad to hear you got through it, Pep! Hope your wrist stops hurting soon. I will keep my fingers crossed for you (and me, lol) that you never have to have another one.

HeatherP
Posted Image

PepsiLvr

PepsiLvr

• 500 plus
  • 470 posts
Thanks HeatherP!! :)

lg, I was dxd in January '04 but fear that I may have had it since approx '01. My doc never did proper blood tests. What's weird is that it is type I. I could understand type II (even though I'm not overweight) but type I just seems so strange to develop all of the sudden. Although I did recently hear that T2 is more heraditary (sp) than T1.

Lorna

Lorna

• 500 plus
  • 788 posts
Well done pepsilvr!

lg I'm the same story here, was diagnosed (type1) fully 10 years before any of my realtives, who are all older than me and type 2.

Deager

Deager

• 500 plus
  • 128 posts
pepsilvr,

I told ya I'd rather have a baby than go thru those needles again! It was horrible wasn't it??!! The doc sticks a needle into your muscle and then makes you pull that muscle. Torture.....!!!!!!

I still have bruises and bumps all over my hand and arm (I only let him stick ONE needle in my left arm and told him he was DONE) and people ask me about them and can't believe a doc did it to me. For me the worst one was on the little finger side of the bottom palm.

ACK!!!

Diane

notme

notme

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 13,164 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
  • I am a:Type 1
I wonder why they don't give you some type of pain reliever. I know they are trying not to relax you so you can't have that...but what about good old laughing gas or something so you don't care how much it hurts? I didn't want to make you scared pep, but I worried how it would go for you. Glad it is over and you are no more worse for the wear. I think those tests are just torture.

I won't ever do that test again. Those people who administer them must be a bit evil to be able to do that to people day after day...LOL

Nancy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users