• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

DietCokeKid

DietCokeKid

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hello everyone!

I was diagnosed with type II a couple of days ago, it's been a difficult change. I commute to work, so I have eat out usually.

I was wondering if anyone had tried a subway club on the wrap bread, I just had one filled with meat/cheese/veggies -- it was kind of bland bread, but the nutrition info looked like what my Doc recomended.

My main question is right now I'm in a lowering phase. I was getting readings close to 400, now I'm usually 200 in the morning before eating and can spike up to 270, considering that I'm still lowering is this a BAD spike?:o

princesslinda

princesslinda

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 15,821 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN
  • I am a:Type 2
Welcome DK Kid! Glad you found the forum. Lots of good info here.

Regarding Subway, I've had their wraps a couple of times without problems.
There's a great website "dietfacts.com" that lists restaurants and their menus to include carbs and fiber and fat. If we're going out to eat, I look up the menu and decide ahead of time what i'm having....less temptation to be bad that way. Calorie King also has a book and website you might want to refer to. I've printed out menus from our favorite places and keep them in the car to refer to if we're out and about and decide to eat.

What meds are you currently on?

Sounds like your #'s are moving in the right direction, but still have a ways to go. I was told to aim for 140 or less 2 hrs after the first bite of my meals. Fasting goal was 110 or less.

I would also encourage you to exercise regularly and watch your carb intakes, avoiding bread, pasta, rice, potatoes and sugar, esp. here at first while your #'s are higher than you want.

Do you have a monitor? If not, get one and test often. 2 hrs after your first bite of food is good, as you'll see the effect certain foods have on your blood sugar and be able to make better choices. If you take your blood sugar before having subway then 2 hrs after, you'll see what it does to your blood sugar. Everyone reacts differently to different foods. Breads are a BIG no-no for me personally. The wraps are a better choice, but they also offer salad with everything you'd put on your sandwich minus the bread.

Post often, read and learn all you can about diabetes. As another poster once said, "diabetes is not a death sentance, but it is a life sentance." With proper care, you can have a happy and healthy life, but there are some adjustments that must be made.

Again, welcome to the "family."

Linda

T2, diagnosed 8/31/06.
Meds: Metformin-ER 500 mg twice daily, HCTZ 12.5 mg every other day for BP Enalapril 20 mg 1 daily (ace-inhibitor)
Diet: I eat to my meter, generally eating 75-100 carbs/day with the occasional splurge.

DietCokeKid

DietCokeKid

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thank you. It means a lot to know I'm not going through this alone. I do have a monitor, and I try to measure about 4 times daily. I am on Januvia right now, and my doctor thinks if I can get my weight down (I'm a large man...) that i should be able to control my diebetes with diet and exercise alone.

panda1076

panda1076

• 500 plus
  • 151 posts
i used to eat at Subway a lot at my old job. When i was diagnosed, I started eating the low carb wrap. Previously i was eating there multiple times a week. But once I switched to the low carb wrap, i couldn't take it more than once every other week... the wrap was like elasticy and tasteless! but the regular bread definitely skyrockets the BG...

D'Angelos also has a low carb wrap. you could try those subs/wraps.
Type 1, diagnosed 7/13/06
Using OmniPod w/Novolog (since 12/06)
A1C at diagnosis = 8.2
most recent A1C = 5.1

princesslinda

princesslinda

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 15,821 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN
  • I am a:Type 2
Sounds like you're on the right track! Don't get discouraged. I'm a "big girl" myself. Since my diagnosis last fall, i'm down 56 lbs (give or take a pound, depending on the day) and still have aroud 80 more to go. I just tell myself that I didn't get the weight overnight, so won't come off that quickly either.

It's a great goal to be diet/exercise controlled and many here are able to do just that. I mentioned to my doc at the last visit that i'd like to go off my metformin or decrease it and he said it was up to me, but longterm studies show that it slows the progress of T2, so it's something I'm going to have to really think about.

There's a great book you should read that I found VERY helpful. "Type II Diabetes, The First Year," by Gretchen Becker. Amazon.com has it for around $12.I got mine at Borders. It has a lot of well-written, easy to understand information for the new diabetic. The author herself is a T2.

Just after diagnosis, seems we are on diabetic overload. I promise things get easier as time passes. Your weight loss will help a great deal. My A1C at diagnosis was 9.6 and is now 5.4, so I can promise you a larger person CAN manage to live with diabetes. Don't get discouraged, just take it day at a time and you'll do fine.

I didn't respond to your question about acceptable spikes, but I have read that you shouldn't go up over 50 points after a meal.

When first diagnosed, I kept a food journal, listing everything I put in my mouth and what the corresponding #'s were. After about a month of this, I had a good idea of what different foods did to my blood sugar. I don't write things down anymore, but I do test 4-5 times a day...gives me a feeling of control.

Take care,
Linda

T2, diagnosed 8/31/06.
Meds: Metformin-ER 500 mg twice daily, HCTZ 12.5 mg every other day for BP Enalapril 20 mg 1 daily (ace-inhibitor)
Diet: I eat to my meter, generally eating 75-100 carbs/day with the occasional splurge.

shockme

shockme

Banned

• Banned
  • 3,316 posts
welcome dietcokekid!food affects each of us differently.try a single food item and then test 2 hrs.after to see if you can eat it or not.take care,trish
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]]jan.a1c-9.2...may a1c-6.1...aug.a1c-5.8 jan.a1c 6.0Posted Image

Kubilee

Kubilee

• 500 plus
  • 477 posts
I had one of the Subway subs on whole wheat night before last and it didn't spike me too much, maybe a few points but not like I expected it to. I was told I can't have white bread anymore, but that I could have whole grain breads and such in reasonable quantities. I had a 6" one and it was ok on my blood sugar, I think it spiked me like 10pts or whatever you call it.

I just got diagnosed a little over a month ago myself and since I have been on this board, I have picked up and learned so very much. Stick around here, READ READ READ, and ask lots of questions, they will help you with just about anything. They have been awesome to me and without them I think I would have been jumping off a cliff right now..... not literally, but I was feeling pretty desperate until I found this place.

I can't even think of enough good things to say about these people and I have only been here about a week or so.

Stick to it, it does get better and you can and will survive this.

If it helps you, I was diagnosed on May 11,07 with blood sugar up to almost 400 too, and I am down to an average of 100, and largely due to info I have gotten here. ;) I diet, excercise and DO NOT stress.... :)
I am a Type II, DX - 5/11/07
Meds - Metformin 425MG 3x daily

mzteacher

mzteacher

Youthful Senior Member

• 500 plus
  • 2,259 posts
  • I am a:Type 1
kubilee....those are great numbers in a short time! are you on meds?? what diet exercise things are you doing??
thanks...
susan

Kubilee

Kubilee

• 500 plus
  • 477 posts
Thank you, mzteacher.... I have been very diligent about this, I don't want to be one of those people that has a family that worries, lord knows they all have enough to worry about.

Meds, I take Actoplus Met 15/500 in the morning and with my evening meal.

I was told to eat 5-6 meals a day, and reluctantly I do. I am SO not food motivated so it's been tough cramming down all that food everyday, but I do it.

I don't eat ANY white bread at all, none, if it has a bun, I take the bun off, unless I get a burger, which I might eat once a week. It is whole grain or those wraps or things like that.

Precious little pasta, which is extremely tough on me as that's one of my favorites, but Doc said no, so I don't eat it but like once a week. If more, it is early in the day.

Absolutely NO sugar, none. If it has added sugar, I won't touch it. I eat no sugar added or like in my juices or something like that, I only drink the natural kind, nothing with any added sugars at all. LOTS of wholesome and natural foods.

The Doc said no potatoes, but I found out about a week ago after close watching that they don't spike me so I eat them, just in very close moderation.

My sister in law is a nurse/dietician and she told me if I have to have pasta, or white bread or something like that to always eat a green veggie with it, this slows down the digestion of the pasta or bread and won't spike me.

And I monitor, very very closely.. three times a day.

I am very much into veggies and fruits and not sweet motivated at all, so it hasn't been the struggle on me that it is with some, which I am fortunate in.

I also excercise 3 times a week on my excercise bike, 2 miles each time, and everyday I walk.... whether it is just outside with the kids or around the house, I walk alot. I also have a mitral valve prolapse so I am not allowed to do anything but low impact excercising.

I went one from eating not SO bad to eating VERY well, and from being stagnat (sp?) to moving around, literally overnight. I was hellbent on getting hold of this before it got a hold on me any further.

Lastly, and I thik most importantly, I have an amazing support system. My husband and my kids all have adapted to me so there are very precious few temptations even in my house anymore. The great thing about my house is when one of our diets change, we ALL change.... out of support and respect.

Kubilee

Kubilee

• 500 plus
  • 477 posts
Disclaimer on the above post:

I am not knocking people who aren't as "diligent", or have loved ones that do not take care of themselves with this "life sentence" we have been handed, I just simply meant that I don't want to give MY family more to worry about than the world already throws at them. It wasn't a personal attack to anyone, because I know alot of people cannot manage it so well, for whatever reason.

I just wanted that clear, I don't bash people lik that.

GhostRydr

GhostRydr

• 500 plus
  • 301 posts
Sounds like you are doing great. I was diagnosed begining of May.

Like Linda, I keep a food journal, and record everything, and I mean everything I consume, including glasses of water :)

I in turn asked my doctor, a GP, to refer me to a dietician that is diabetes knowledgable. I was over eating proteins and not enough veggies and fruits in my diet. I also was told to avoid deli meats more so as they are fattier than say making my own roast.

I need to lose some weight, and currently the doctor has me controling things thru diet and excercise.

When I stop for a sub like sandwich, I go to Jimmy Johns. They are not nationwide i dont' think, but they make a lettuce wrap out of any sub. It's a great treat for me.

Does sound like you are doing well and working hard, best of luck.
I don't believe in a no-win scenario.

mzteacher

mzteacher

Youthful Senior Member

• 500 plus
  • 2,259 posts
  • I am a:Type 1
kubilee,
thanks for your quick response! it is great that you are doing so well! i was diagnosed later in may...still working on getting my numbers down!
thanks again,
susan

Stuboy

Stuboy

• 500 plus
  • 1,956 posts
I eat what i like, when i like!!

My blood sugars are fine.

Subway have a nutrition sheet, if they dont, ask for one, work out your carb:insulin ratio and inject for it.
Stu
Posted Image
Posted Image
Type 1 Since 24.07.2006
Pumping NovoRapid with Animas 2020MDI- Levemir & NovoRapidMDI - Lantus & NovoRapidMixtard 30

Posted Image Ya gots to work with what ya gots to work with!

Cyborg

Cyborg

• 500 plus
  • 7,866 posts
The bread from the subway sandwiches can spike my bg. If I eat a sub, I'll try to pre-bolus or use Symlin to help control the spike. Otherwise, the salads are great and very easy on my bg... :star:
You may call me Locutus Posted Image

kgm0612

kgm0612

• 500 plus
  • 7,672 posts
Dietcokekid......Anyway you can pack your own lunch rather than eating out every day?

Karen

DietCokeKid

DietCokeKid

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Yes, I'm just Lazy.. I mean busy... But yes, I am going to start doing that.

kgm0612

kgm0612

• 500 plus
  • 7,672 posts
LOL...........I know what you're saying!

I used to order out all the time at work but it was getting expensive and my meal choices were not the best. I now pack a lunch every night before bed. I'm saving a ton of money and I pretty much know how many carbs I'm consuming in that meal.

Good luck!

Karen

jerryn

jerryn

• 500 plus
  • 634 posts
Subway isn't good for me, even the wheat bread.
I will spike me big time!

barko

barko

• 500 plus
  • 315 posts

Subway isn't good for me, even the wheat bread.
I will spike me big time!

Big dittos here - I had to go Subway today for a lunch meeting so I thought I would try a wrap. Sent me to the moon - over 190
If you find yourself in a hole...stop digging

Diagnosed: T2 - 2003
MDI: Levemir / Novolog
Meter: Contour USB

ladytaz

ladytaz

• 500 plus
  • 2,584 posts
Just for reference sake: My dietician told me that a SIX inch subway sandwich has about 45g carbs in it. Of course, this does depend upon what "else" you put on it besides the meat.

.: Melissa :.

Type 2 - Dx'd 08.16.05
•••
[ A1c ]
6.9 - 01/07
6.0 - 05/07
5.9 - 09/07
6.4 - 03/08
6.4 - 10/08
6.9 - 03/09
[ Meter ]
Contour