- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

Tamarante

Tamarante

• 500 plus
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
Are these two the same thing? My husband takes Avandament now and it's not helping to bring his sugar down. He's better now down in the 230s from the 460s. I heard something on the radio that Avandia is not good to take. Anybody have any comments or advice?

princesslinda

princesslinda

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 15,927 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN
  • I am a:Type 2
Avandamet is an Avandia/metformin combination. I'd certainly check with his doctor to see if he should continue it, as there has been some cardiac problems linked to Avandia in the news recently.

Is your husband getting regular exercise? Exercise helps with blood sugar control.

Personally, I have found that if I eat a lower carb diet, avoiding bread, potatoes, rice, pasta (all the good stuff), I have better readings. I eat lots of green veggies, lean meats, salads and try and stay away from the other things.

Does he monitor his blood sugar regularly to see how certain foods affect him? If he takes his blood sugar 2 hrs after his meals, he'll know what to avoid and what to eat based on his levels.

T2, diagnosed 8/31/06.
Meds: Metformin-ER 500 mg twice daily, HCTZ 12.5 mg every other day for BP Enalapril 20 mg 1 daily (ace-inhibitor)
Diet: I eat to my meter, generally eating 75-100 carbs/day with the occasional splurge.

ladytaz

ladytaz

• 500 plus
  • 2,584 posts
Ditto what Penny said .....

In my opinion, Avandia and Actos products are the devil's spawn! I REFUSE to take them! In your hubby's case, Is he also controlling his diet (watching how many carbohydrates he ingests daily, moreso with each and every meal and snack)? If so, they apparently aren't doing the job, and I'd have him talk to his doctor and have his meds changed! (Preferably to something OTHER than anything with Avandia or Actos in it!)

.: Melissa :.

Type 2 - Dx'd 08.16.05
•••
[ A1c ]
6.9 - 01/07
6.0 - 05/07
5.9 - 09/07
6.4 - 03/08
6.4 - 10/08
6.9 - 03/09
[ Meter ]
Contour
[ Meds ]
Metformin 1000mg 2x, Novolin N 30u 2x, Novolin R 1:10
Lisinopril 20mg 1x, Simvastatin 40mg 1x, Aspirin 81mg 1x
Tramadol 50mg 2 tabs 3x, Gabapentin 300mg 3x
[ Other Conditions ]
Coccidioidomycosis aka Valley Fever Dx'd 1.17.94
- Asthma
- Chronic Bronchitis
Hypertention
Hyperlipidemia
Neuropathy

Tamarante

Tamarante

• 500 plus
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
Thank you both! He cannot exercise because of his foot problem that never got better. He has another surgery coming up and then after that they have to insert a PIC line so he can take antibiotics daily. He's so young and so sick. He eats bread, rice, pasta you name it. I can cook healthy, but will he eat it most likely not. He has it in his head along with a friend of that they can eat whatever they want as long as they take their meds. I'll try to see if I can find substitutes for breads, pasta and all the good stuff. Thanks again!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users