- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

Bettebee

Bettebee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
I would like to find recipes that would help me to gain weight. I am type II. About two years ago I started losing 20 pounds. I found out that I had diabetes about a year ago. Since then I have tried to gain my weight back to no avail. I weigh 104 pounds and I do not like being so thin...smile!
I try to eat peanuts or some kind of nuts every day. But I need dinner recipes to help me gain weight. Maybe there is a site on the internet for weight gaining recipes...anyone know?
God Bless!
Betty in Florida

Tony

Tony

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 7,411 posts
  • LocationRI
  • I am a:Type 1
I'm trying to do the same but in the form of muscle so I am lifting weights and trying to eat more but it's not easy.

The whole trick is to take in enough protein and calories in a day to gain weight. If you want to gain any, you need to eat more then your burning.

Have 3 meals and 3 snacks all day, eat foods that are high in protein and low in saturated fat, like lean meats, nuts, egg whites, and low-fat dairy products. Have plenty, or your body will eat what your trying to gain. In my case the body will eat the muscle I'm trying to build, which it already has. I had a little set back because I didn't eat enough for a couple days.

You should also exercise like walking, jogging and lifting so the weight you can gain is lean muscle and not all fat.

Great thread you started here by the way. Like to hear what other people have to say on this topic.

Tony
Administrator of Diabetesforums.com

"Weeding my way through Diabetes, and taking all of you along for the ride." - archimeech

Bettebee

Bettebee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Tony,
I am so happy that I met someone else that is looking to gain weight too....smile!
I hope we get good some recipes and ideas here. There should be great recipes for casseroles that put weight on a person, even menus to alternate. There are lots of recipes to lose weight, but I never see any to gain...smile!
I do eat three meals and 3-4 snacks a day! I made some cookies the other day with lots of nuts, raisens, cranberries, oatmeal, whole wheat flourer, butter and eggs. They are delicious. I do keep my weight very stable, but not like I want. I need to gain at least 15-20 pounds.
Anyone have any recipe ideas for side dishes to gain weight?
The weight lifting is a good idea...smile!
Why egg whites and low fat-dairy products? Is it because of the diabetes? I'd think that the yellow part of the egg would help.
Betty in Florida

DeusXM

DeusXM

DF member for 11 years

• 500 plus
  • 6,181 posts
  • I am a:Type 1
The yolk in egg is mostly fat - it's the white of an egg that's the good part because it's loaded with protein. Unless your body fat percentage is dangerously low, you don't want to be putting on weight in the form of fat. You want to be putting it on in the form of muscle. This doesn't mean become a bodybuilder - muscle is suprisingly heavy and you won't need to put much on to be heavier.

Also make sure your BGs are in order. In some individuals, high BGs are symptoms of things that cause weight loss.
Want to know the symptoms of diabetes, or find out if you have diabetes? Click here
Don't understand a word or term used in a forum thread? Click here
Want to know if you can drink with diabetes? Click here and here

johgn

johgn

• 500 plus
  • 191 posts
Here is some advice from The Simpsons:
"
Well...be creative. Instead of making sandwiches with
bread, use poptarts. Instead of chewing gum, chew bacon.
"
" ..That the human condition can be summed up in just one word, and this is the word: Embarrassment."
Kurt Vonnegut

volleyball

volleyball

• 500 plus
  • 2,040 posts
Yeah, you are going against the flow by trying to gain weight, lots of us will give you some of our spare stuff. Your goal I guess is not to gain weight but to have more mass. More mass will mean more weight. If you do light to moderate exercise, you will feel hungrier and probably eat more. Also if you shift your heavier eating to after the days activities such as evening, you'll pack on more weight. Do strength exercises as opposed to endurance exercises to build up muscle mass and gain more bulk. you'll look and feel better.

mjc1991

mjc1991

• 500 plus
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts
What i do to gain weight to put on quick mass before a cut is use my insulin as a key and i eat maybe 15 grams extra per meal and add a unit to my insulin afterwards . doing this will force your body to grow because your forcing more fuel into your body. always healthy foods tho. whole wheat products will digest slower so your blood sugars wont neccesarily SPIKE . i also eat alot of fish. maybe once a day sometimes twice. fish has protein and carbs(the breaded fish) . fish is muscle food and will also help you pack on LEAN MASS. dont get fat get diesel! and dont forget your protein shakes! those will most definatly aid in your weight gain journey. hope this helped.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users