mg/dl vs mmol/l

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

Olidus

Olidus

• Seniors
  • 541 posts
I am new to Diabetes and new to this forum.
Still learning all the lingo and what not.

I have noticed that alot of you talk mg/dl when it comes to readings? Since I have been diagnosed I have been taught to take my readings in mmol/l and pass that information along.

Is this another US thing? And Canadians use mmol/l?
Can anyone offer some insight as to what is the standard?
I know it all comes down to oranges and apples but want to make sure I am on the page as everyone else.

Thanks in advance

Mark K~
Mark K~
Type 1
Dx June 21st 2007

HbA1c
-June 22, 07 - 12.8 - _ -Jan 23, 09- 5.8 - _ - _ - May 16, 2011 - 7.8
-Sep 27, 07 - 6.6- _ - _ -Aug 4, 09 - 6.2 - _ - _ - Nov 2, 2011 - 7.4
-Jan 3, 08 - 6.0 - _ - _ - Nov 3, 09 - 6.5
-April 16, 08 - 6.1 - _ -_Mar 8, 10 - 6.8
-July 21, 08 - 5.5 - _ - _ July 23, 10 - 6.8
-Oct 8, 08 - 6.1 - _ - _ - Nov 29, 10 - 6.9

MDI - NovaRapid & Levemir

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
"Diabetes is for the intelligent and disciplined."

HelenM

HelenM

• Seniors
  • 1,029 posts
Some countries use one system and others the other, ( most but not all of the Commonwealth and ex Commonwealth countries use mml) . I've know idea why. list @ FAQ Unit of measure - Abbott Diabetes Care (MediSense Products)

PS I live in France which uses mg/l and throw my doctor when I forget and say 126 rather than 1.26

JediSkipdogg

JediSkipdogg

• Seniors
  • 8,779 posts
  • I am a:Type 1
And just an FYI....to get from one to the other just multiply/divide by 18. It's technically not an exact 18, but that number works for the most part unless you convert like 30 mmol to mg/dl then you may be off 1 mg/dl which is minor.

●Police Dispatcher
●Type 1 diabetic since 11 months old
●Pumper since December of 2002
~Animas IR 1000 (Dec. 2002 - Jan. 2005)
~Animas IR 1200 (Jan. 2005 - Jan. 2009)
~Cozmo 1800 (Jan. 2009 - ?)
●Dexcom Seven+ (Aug 1, 2009 - Oct 31, 2012)
●Dexcom G4 (Nov 1, 2012 - ???)

Diabetes is an Art, NOT a Science. You must master the control by skills and not by knowledge alone.

REDLAN

REDLAN

• Seniors
  • 872 posts
no it's just a UK thing - like us driving on the left, when everybody else drives on the right (the notable exceptions have been evilly influenced by us Brits)

notme

notme

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 13,251 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
I use the multiply by 18 to convert. As Jedi said, it is not exact, but it gives you a good idea.

I just use the computer calculator.
RIP My beautiful boy.

maxwellsmiles1.jpg

Nancy

“I don't expect everything to be handed to me. Just set it down anywhere.”.

diagnosed type 1 October 1986
currently using Medtronic MiniMed
Revel 723 with CGMS
CLEAR [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

BriOnH

BriOnH

• Seniors
  • 2,607 posts
Its mg/dl versus mmol/dl (diciliter not liter of blood).

I believe mmol/dl is the proper scientific way to read bgl, but I use mg/dl since I was raised in the US.

shockme

shockme

Banned

• Banned
  • 3,316 posts
i just use the convertor on the right...trish
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]]jan.a1c-9.2...may a1c-6.1...aug.a1c-5.8 jan.a1c 6.0Posted Image

xMenace

xMenace

• Seniors
  • 11,118 posts
Many other tests are measured with different systems too. This site may help.
Reference ranges for common blood tests - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Virginia Woolf: “Consider how common illness is, how tremendous the spiritual change that it brings, how astonishing, when the lights of health go down, the undiscovered countries that are then disclosed, what wastes and deserts of the soul a slight attack of influenza brings to view, what precipices and lawns sprinkled with bright flowers a little rise of temperature reveals, what ancient and obdurate oaks are uprooted in us by the act of sickness, how we go down in the pit of death and feel the waters of annihilation close above our heads and wake thinking to find ourselves in the presence of the angels and the harpers when we have a tooth out and come to the surface in the dentist's arm-chair and confuse his "Rinse the mouth-rinse the mouth" with the greeting of the Deity stooping from the floor of Heaven to welcome us - when we think of this, as we are so frequently forced to think of it, it becomes strange indeed that illness has not taken its place with love and battle and jealousy among the prime themes of literature”
Back on MDI and doing well. Trying Victoza and loving it. A1C 6.0, no major hypos; a few highs; lots of shots. Diagnosed Oct 19th, 1975.
HDL-101; LDL-64; TG-36; TOT-172

June91

June91

• Seniors
  • 611 posts

Its mg/dl versus mmol/dl (diciliter not liter of blood).

It's deciliter for mg (milligrams) but definitely liters for mmol(millimols): What are mg/dl and mmol/l? How to convert? Glucose? Cholesterol?.

Geoff

Geoff

• Members
  • 155 posts
Hi all, Stop knocking the Brits "mmol/l is millimoles/liter, and is the world standard unit for measuring
glucose in blood. Specifically, it is the designated SI (Systeme
International) unit. "World standard", of course, means that mmol/L is used
everywhere in the world except in the US." Quote taken from "What are mg/dl and mmol/l? How to convert? Glucose? Cholestrerol"
Diagnosed June 10 2005. Type 1

A1C Feb 6.3 2008
A1C Nov 6.1
A1C Aug 6.1
A1C May 6.0
A1C Mar 6.0 2007
A1C Dec 6.3
A1C Sep 6.0
A1C Jun 6.1 2006

Changed from Lantus to Levemir split dose 4 units night/13units morning
NovaRapid 3x/day,0.5unit, 2-3.5units, 3-4.5units

mg_2204

mg_2204

• Seniors
  • 3,271 posts
I do like Trish, I use a converter. Always have it handy when I'm on the forum.

BriOnH

BriOnH

• Seniors
  • 2,607 posts

It's deciliter for mg (milligrams) but definitely liters for mmol(millimols): What are mg/dl and mmol/l? How to convert? Glucose? Cholesterol?.

My bad. Thanks for correcting that June.

JasonJayhawk

JasonJayhawk

• Seniors
  • 1,069 posts
WARNING: Science and math content!

I saw some mentions of "multiplying 18 (or dividing by 18)" as not being precise, but I respectfully disagree, unless you're interested in getting to hundredths or even thousandths of a gram in precision, which is useless information in terms of measuring blood glucose!

And since I like stoichiometry so much, here's a lesson to prove that multiplying and dividing by 18 is indeed very, very precise!

Millimoles per liter (mmol/L) is the way the world (including most of the scientific community) shares blood glucose concentrations. This is a count of the actual physical count of glucose molecules (moles) per liter of blood.

The USA decided that counting glucose molecules was too complicated, and hence, uses milligrams per deciliter (mg/dL), which is the weight of the glucose per deciliter.

To convert from the number of glucose molecules to the weight, we must know much one mole of glucose molecules weighs. Glucose is made up of C6H12O6. Carbon's mass is ~12 grams per mole, hydrogen's mass is ~1 gram per mole, and oxygen is ~16 grams per mole.

Thus, one mole of glucose weighs [(6*12)+(12*1)+(6*16)], or ~180 grams per mole.

Please note that very minute differences between atomic masses would cause this to be somewhere in the range of of a few nanograms of 180 grams per mole (depending on the proton count of each individual atom, but they all measure out to be the approximate masses as listed above--let's not go there, I don't think anyone is counting that closely!). We can safely say with one significant figure that it is 180.0 grams per mole. Good 'nuff. (If you really want to challenge it, look on the periodic table for the average atomic masses.)

That's how we convert 1 mole of glucose into 180 grams of glucose. They're equivalent. If I hand you 180 grams of glucose, I'm handing you one mole of glucose (approximately 6.022x10E23 molecules of C6H12O6).

Still with me? Good.

Since the world uses mmol/L as a measurement, let's start out with one mole of glucose dissolved in 1 liter[b] of solution (we can assume it's blood, but it could be water, too). We know this is the same thing as 180 grams of glucose dissolved in 1 liter of solution.
[FONT="Fixedsys"]
1 mole     180 grams
------ = ------------
1 liter     1 liter
[/FONT]

We are interested in millimoles (not moles) and milligrams (not grams), so multiple each side by 1000, and we'll see the old units cancel out.

[FONT="Fixedsys"]
1 mole   1000 millimoles       180 grams    1000 milligrams
------ * ---------------  =  ------------ * --------------
1 liter       1 mole            1 liter         1 gram
[/FONT]

This leaves us with the following (mmol = millimoles, and mg = milligrams):
[FONT="Fixedsys"]
1000 mmol     180,000 mg
---------- = ------------
 1 liter       1 liter
[/FONT]

Now let's see how many milligrams is in one mmol. Divide by 1,000 on each side so we can see what 1 mmol is in milligrams:

[FONT="Fixedsys"]
1 mmol     180 mg
------- = --------
1 liter    1 liter
[/FONT]

Not done yet! We also know that there are 10 deciliters in 1 liter of solution.

[FONT="Fixedsys"]
1 mmol     180 mg      180 mg       1 liter          18 mg
------- = -------- = -------- *  -------------- = ------------
1 liter    1 liter    1 liter    10 deciliters    1 deciliter
[/FONT]

Now, we can finally see how 1 mmol/1 L = 180 mg / 1 dL.

[FONT="Fixedsys"]
1 mmol       18 mg
------- = -----------
1 liter    1 deciliter
[/FONT]

QED. [b]1 mmol/L = 18 mg/dL

For what it's worth, we could find what 1 mg/dL equals in millimoles, but we'd start dealing with some real numbers.

JediSkipdogg

JediSkipdogg

• Seniors
  • 8,779 posts

I saw some mentions of "multiplying 18 (or dividing by 18)" as not being precise, but I respectfully disagree, unless you're interested in getting to hundredths or even thousandths of a gram in precision, which is useless information in terms of measuring blood glucose!

And since I like stoichiometry so much, here's a lesson to prove that multiplying and dividing by 18 is indeed very, very precise!

Technically, it would be 18.016. Like I said though, unless you get really high (as in 700+ mg/dl), it's pointless and even then only 1 mg/dl off.

●Police Dispatcher

Diabetes is an Art, NOT a Science. You must master the control by skills and not by knowledge alone.

JasonJayhawk

JasonJayhawk

• Seniors
  • 1,069 posts
Let's wait until we get a glucometer that has that kind of precision and we'll start including more than one significant figure!

JediSkipdogg

JediSkipdogg

• Seniors
  • 8,779 posts

Let's wait until we get a glucometer that has that kind of precision and we'll start including more than one significant figure!

In the meantime, get out more often math freak. LOL :T

●Police Dispatcher

jenet

jenet

• Seniors
  • 710 posts

WARNING: Science and math content!

Oh my gosh! Doesn't that qualify as cruel and unusual punishment now? ;)
The above is my personal opinion, and Your Mileage May Vary. ;)
  • May 2 1995 - "D" Day
  • Feb 22 2006 - Animas 1250 (Silver) - Later Upgraded to 2020
  • May 11 2007 - Guardian REAL-Time (MiniLink)
  • May 16 2007 - Animas 2020 (Silver) - Pump Failed Aug 22 2011
  • Sep 08 2011 - Animas Ping (Silver)
  • Sep 22 2011 - DexCom 7+
  • Dec ?? 2012 - DexCom G4 (Pink)

someone

someone

• Seniors
  • 1,227 posts
mmol/l is the SI unit for blood glucose. mg/dl is non-SI because it uses litres.

Millimoles/Liter mmol/l - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

BriOnH

BriOnH

• Seniors
  • 2,607 posts
Nice proof Jay!! I thouroughly enjoyed that, thanks.

pjams

pjams

• Members
  • 166 posts
When you begin with a number which has an accuracy of + or - 20% what difference does it make whether one multiplies or divides by 18 or 18.016? Moot point right?
JayP

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users