- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

DonnaB

DonnaB

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts
I think I need to get in to see my doc today. Having pretty nasty stomach pain. I've been on metformin for almost two months now and my numbers have been great but something is definitely wrong. I don't think it's acidosis but can't rule that out either and know that is serious. Still I hate to think he might take me off the Glucophage as it's been really working for me. Wonder if something else could be causing this stomach pain? Brother this is not fun. P.S. I'm not messing around. Will go into Urgi-Care shortly
Type 2, dxd April 2007. A1C 5.8 (after 3 month check -previous was about 9) 4/07 Started Metformin May 07. Supplements: Co-Enzyme Q-10, alpha lipoic acid, B complex, fish oil, folic acid.

Work like you don't need the money, dance like nobody is watching, and laugh and love like there's no tomorrow. ;)

kgm0612

kgm0612

• Seniors
  • 7,672 posts
Usually after a month or so, the side effects of Metformin subside. How are you taking the Metformin........with meals? I found I didn't have the stomach upset when I took it about 15 minutes prior to eating.

I'd give the doctor a call. Maybe it's not the Metformin but something else. You should be checked out.

Good Luck, Donna.

Karen

DonnaB

DonnaB

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts
I've been on it almost two months. I do take it with meals...lunch and dinner. I've lost weight, brought my BG way down etc and was very happy with how it was going. I'll leave here in about 1/2 hour to go to the urgi care facility as my doc is not in on Fridays. Crossing fingers it's nothing but maybe a bug, but I'm very sensitive to meds and have a feeling it is the metformin.

P.S. Karen thanks for the reply and concern.
Type 2, dxd April 2007. A1C 5.8 (after 3 month check -previous was about 9) 4/07 Started Metformin May 07. Supplements: Co-Enzyme Q-10, alpha lipoic acid, B complex, fish oil, folic acid.

Work like you don't need the money, dance like nobody is watching, and laugh and love like there's no tomorrow. ;)

slipperyelm

slipperyelm

• Seniors
  • 1,465 posts
Consider the cinnamon. Cinnamon can cause stomach pain. and can be very irritating if you already have any kind of injury to the stomach lining. If you think it is the metformin troubling you, I'd suggest backing off of the cinnamon until the metformin troubles resolve.

For metformin gastro troubles, try Pepcid or Tagamet.

Did you start all your medicines and supplements more or less concurrently? It is a good rule of thumb to start new meds one at a time so that if something causes a problem, you will be more able to tell which one it was. Or which combination it might be.

It is highly unlikely you are suffering systemic lactic acidosis if that is what you are refrring to. It is very rare; I don't think this forum has ever seen a case of it. And it is also something that is a dire emergency. You would not likely have it for weeks without dying. In fact, you could be dead from it within hours of developing it. Not likely two months later.

barko

barko

• Members
  • 315 posts
What's your dose? Maybe it needs adjusting?

When I first started glucophage (about 4 years ago) I was on a dose that was too high - I had serious stomach cramps and gas issues for about 2 months. My Dr. adjusted it down and I was fine after that. Now I am on the max dose and have no issues with it.
If you find yourself in a hole...stop digging

Diagnosed: T2 - 2003
MDI: Levemir / Novolog
Meter: Contour USB

Kubilee

Kubilee

• Members
  • 477 posts
I had bad problems with mine when I was taking it with my lunch and dinner. I was taking it too close together. I am on Actoplus Met, but it still has metaphormin in it. I started taking it with my breakfast and with my dinner, spreading it out more, and it is working fine now.

But I tell ya, when I was doing it for lunch and dinner, I thought I was going to have to go to the hospital it was so bad. I take mine now about 8-10 hours apart at the VERY nearest, and it's not so bad now.

I have been on mine for 2 months too, so I am just now getting adjusted to mine. ;)
I am a Type II, DX - 5/11/07
Meds - Metformin 425MG 3x daily

DonnaB

DonnaB

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts
Thanks for all the comments. Spent the a.m. in the ER after the urgi care doc said I needed to get to the ER. It's definitely not acidosis, so whomever commented about that was certainly right. Tests were inconclusive and the ER doc didn't think it was the metformin. Actually I think I will stop the cinnamon just in case - that's a good tip. They speculated it could be irritable bowel or gerd or stomach upset of some sort but blood labs were fine. CT scan did show a cyst on my pancreas that he said I should "watch," but that it wasn't causing my stomach pain. I'm still hurting though but figure it will pass eventually. Thanks for all the posts, comments.

DonnaB

DonnaB

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts
Oh and thanks Kubilee. Maybe I should try taking the metformin at breakfast and dinner instead of lunch. I hadn't considered that option. I'm going to try it starting tomorrow.

moorejames

moorejames

• Seniors
  • 528 posts
Talk to your doctor about the extended release versions of metformin available, it made a big difference to me (that, and lowering my dose somewhat).

marcia87

marcia87

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts
My nausea was bad for about a month before I gave up on metformin. I just couldn't take it, and it really didn't lower my bs any more than other meds I've tried. I'm now on junovia and amaryl and doing okay but not perfect.

Marcia

Kubilee

Kubilee

• Members
  • 477 posts

Oh and thanks Kubilee. Maybe I should try taking the metformin at breakfast and dinner instead of lunch. I hadn't considered that option. I'm going to try it starting tomorrow.

No problem, glad I could help. The one I take at night messes me up sometimes, if I am very very lucky, he's going to cut my dose in half on the 15th of August if my bloodwork comes back ok.

This stuff really messes with my stomach if I don't do it exactly right, and if I forget, which I have only done one time, I pay for it when I finally remember it. :eek:
I am a Type II, DX - 5/11/07
Meds - Metformin 425MG 3x daily

stuckinp15

stuckinp15

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
I have been on Metformin for the last 7 years with no problem. During the last year I have experience severe stomach pain and bloating after eating. It was so bad at one point that I stopped eating for two weeks and lost 10 pounds during that time. They checked gallbladder, pancreas, stomach, etc. I've had an endoscopy, ct scans, etc. with no indications of an type of problem. I've seen several doctors and the last one suggested that I discontinue the Metformin for about two weeks to see if it subsides. I've been off the Metformin now for 6 days and pain is better. I'm hoping that this will be the answer to my problem.

After reading many sites, I discovered that Metformin shouldn't be taken with certain kinds of blood-pressure medications. I am on Norvasc, Toprol, and Lisinopril. It is unusal to develop problems from Metformin after taking it for some time, but if this is what has been causing this horrible pain, I will be glad to have found the culprit.

jghobbs13

jghobbs13

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Donna I found your post by accident tonight. I am a 53 yr old female, type 2, 3 years post diagnosis. In the beginning I took 500 mg of metformin twice a day and half a glipizide in the a.m. However after a few months on that the glipizide was causing me to have low BG in the 40's so my doctor put me on 850 mg of metformin and took me off the glipizide. For a while all was great then my BG started going up, so she increased me to 1000 mg 2x daily. After my A1C went down below 6 she again changed my dose back to 850 mg. Soon after that I was assigned a new doctor. This spring my A1C went from 5.8 to 6.4 and I was having fasting BGs in the high 140's so I asked the new doctor to put me on the 1000 mg again. Dating back to within a week of starting the 1000 mg dose again I have had major upper abdominal discomfort, most especially in the evenings. There is so much pressure just under the bottom of my rib cage that I find it hard to concentrate on anything. It wasn't until I found your thread/post that I realized "oh my gosh, I bet it's the metformin!" So first thing Monday I am calling the doctor's office and leaving a message. The problem I have is that I get my medical care through the VA and I don't think they have many choices as to diabetes drugs - since Metformin is the only thing I've ever been prescribed other than the glipizide. I hope by now you are feeling better.

puzlnut

puzlnut

• Seniors
  • 706 posts

I have been on Metformin for the last 7 years with no problem. During the last year I have experience severe stomach pain and bloating after eating. It was so bad at one point that I stopped eating for two weeks and lost 10 pounds during that time. They checked gallbladder, pancreas, stomach, etc. I've had an endoscopy, ct scans, etc. with no indications of an type of problem. I've seen several doctors and the last one suggested that I discontinue the Metformin for about two weeks to see if it subsides. I've been off the Metformin now for 6 days and pain is better. I'm hoping that this will be the answer to my problem.

After reading many sites, I discovered that Metformin shouldn't be taken with certain kinds of blood-pressure medications. I am on Norvasc, Toprol, and Lisinopril. It is unusal to develop problems from Metformin after taking it for some time, but if this is what has been causing this horrible pain, I will be glad to have found the culprit.

Jenny Ruhl, in her book, Blood Sugar 101, states"Another side effect that Metformin can produce, especially in people who have been taking if for a while, is a pain in the upper chest that may seem frighteningly like heart attack pain. Endocrinologists are aware of this side effect but many family doctors are not. When Metformin causes this kind of pain it seems to be due to irritation of the upper part of the stomach." (pg. 102). She goes on to to caution readers that if they are having this happen to them, they need to go get it checked out to be certain the pain is being caused by the Metformin and not something else. She does not say what to do if it is the Metformin causing this.
Type 2
6/10/11 A1C = 9.8 FBG = 246
8/10/11 A1C = 6.4
11/18/11 A1c = 5.6 FBG = 101
4/24/12 A1C =5.8 FBG = 109

Metformin 1500 mg. ER /day
HCTZ , Trandalapril , Toprol ER
Vit. D, ALA, EPO, Biotin

______________________________________________________________________________________________

"Promise me you'll always remember---you're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think." Christopher Robin to Pooh

Peggy_TX

Peggy_TX

Senior Moments

• Seniors
  • 2,808 posts
  • I am a:Type 2

Jenny Ruhl, in her book, Blood Sugar 101, states"Another side effect that Metformin can produce, especially in people who have been taking if for a while, is a pain in the upper chest that may seem frighteningly like heart attack pain. Endocrinologists are aware of this side effect but many family doctors are not. When Metformin causes this kind of pain it seems to be due to irritation of the upper part of the stomach." (pg. 102). She goes on to to caution readers that if they are having this happen to them, they need to go get it checked out to be certain the pain is being caused by the Metformin and not something else. She does not say what to do if it is the Metformin causing this.

Well THAT is a side effect I know about! I seriously thought I was having a heart attack. But it's definitely chest pain -- not anything I'd call stomach pain.
And the diagnosis is some fancy term for "pill getting stuck " The pills are big and apparantly VERY irritating if they stay in contact with your esopahagus for any length of time.
Short term treatment was OTC LIQUID antacid (the chalky stuff). They also gave me a prescription version, but I didn't need it.
Long term caution/behaviour change is to never take my pills when I've already gone to bed. Take them standing up, and with plenty of liquid.
I seem to have lucked out as the doc who saw me was fresh out of med school, but it's something they had covered in one of his classes.

Type 2 /Dx: 12-01-10
A1C= 10.2 on 12-01-10
5.6 on 04-10-11
6.1 on 10-06-11
5.8 on 04-28-12
6.2 on 10-29-12
5.7 on 04-26-13
5.7 on 11-05-13

6.0 on 05-20-14

Metformin ER 1000 2x/day
Lisinopril HCTZ 10/12.5mg
Diet: ModCarb (60-80g/day)
Control occasional spikes with insulin (Humalog Kwikpen)

puzlnut

puzlnut

• Seniors
  • 706 posts

Well THAT is a side effect I know about! I seriously thought I was having a heart attack. But it's definitely chest pain -- not anything I'd call stomach pain.
And the diagnosis is some fancy term for "pill getting stuck " The pills are big and apparantly VERY irritating if they stay in contact with your esopahagus for any length of time.
Short term treatment was OTC LIQUID antacid (the chalky stuff). They also gave me a prescription version, but I didn't need it.
Long term caution/behaviour change is to never take my pills when I've already gone to bed. Take them standing up, and with plenty of liquid.
I seem to have lucked out as the doc who saw me was fresh out of med school, but it's something they had covered in one of his classes.

Peggy---that is so interesting (not that it happened to you, but that that was the reason for the pain). But you make a really good point about taking meds with lots of fluid. Something I need to be more careful with sometimes. Glad you are okay.
Type 2
8/10/11 A1C = 6.4

Vit. D, ALA, EPO, Biotin

______________________________________________________________________________________________

"Promise me you'll always remember---you're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think." Christopher Robin to Pooh

andersgeorgsson

andersgeorgsson

• Members
  • 320 posts
I've taken metformin 2x500mg twice a day (total 2000mg) for over a century, but recently I've had severe stomach pains - and its almost like my stomach has stopped "moving" things along? :(

Lately, I've had to take a mild laxative that promises "results over night" - but most of the time it takes a full 24 hours!? I _do_ eat decent amount of fiber, and I supplement with about 16grams
of fiber from chewable tablets each day.. If this doesn't change - I'm going to have go see someone about this... I'd hate to hear "oooh... that's common with diabets" or something stupid like that.

Take care everyone.
-------------------------
dx Type 2 in 1998

Lantus once a day before breakfast,
Novolog with every meal per bolus calculation.

A1C 2/ 9/11:10.0
A1C 4/23/11: 6.8 ! (home)
A1C 5/14/11: 6.6
A1C 6/29/11: 6.3 (home)
A1C 10/15/11: 6.1!
IAB Neg, GAD Low - C-Peptide: 0.9

Received Minimed Revel 723 BLACK 6/10/2011, Pumping Humalog since 6/29/2011.

puzlnut

puzlnut

• Seniors
  • 706 posts

I've taken metformin 2x500mg twice a day (total 2000mg) for over a century, but recently I've had severe stomach pains - and its almost like my stomach has stopped "moving" things along? :(

Lately, I've had to take a mild laxative that promises "results over night" - but most of the time it takes a full 24 hours!? I _do_ eat decent amount of fiber, and I supplement with about 16grams
of fiber from chewable tablets each day.. If this doesn't change - I'm going to have go see someone about this... I'd hate to hear "oooh... that's common with diabets" or something stupid like that.

Take care everyone.

Gosh, Anders, I am sorry you are having that problem. I'm not sure if I hope it is the Metformin or something else---I do hope whatever it is they can figure it out quickly and get you all set. Keep us posted!
Type 2
8/10/11 A1C = 6.4

Vit. D, ALA, EPO, Biotin

Sayhello

Sayhello

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Thank you for this! I've been waffling between gallbladder attack and the fact that my doctor increased my Metformin dose from 500mg once a day (with dinner) to 500mg twice a day (breakfast & dinner). It seems very likely it was the increased Metformin, but it was just so severe... But occasionally I forget to drink all the water with it (I'm easily distracted!) Can you tell me which OTC liquid antacid worked for you? I'm flying to Florida for a week in 2 days, so the chance that I'll get in to see my doctor before I leave is slim. Thanks again.

Sayhello

Peggy_TX

Peggy_TX

Senior Moments

• Seniors
  • 2,808 posts
  • I am a:Type 2
Just checked the med cabinet (since I haven't had to use it since the initial problem!)
The one I used was "Maalox Advanced"
I think anything "coating" will do
DRINK YOUR FLUIDS when you take your meds and you should be fine :-)

Type 2 /Dx: 12-01-10
A1C= 10.2 on 12-01-10
5.6 on 04-10-11
6.1 on 10-06-11
5.8 on 04-28-12
6.2 on 10-29-12
5.7 on 04-26-13
5.7 on 11-05-13

6.0 on 05-20-14

Metformin ER 1000 2x/day
Lisinopril HCTZ 10/12.5mg
Diet: ModCarb (60-80g/day)
Control occasional spikes with insulin (Humalog Kwikpen)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users