Low carb potatoes

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

volleyball

volleyball

• 500 plus
  • 2,040 posts
Have anyone heard of these? Spud-U-Lite is there name and they have 25% fewer carbs
Diabetes is a condition that you have to manage or it will manage you. The care team is only there in a supporting role

solox316

solox316

• 500 plus
  • 522 posts
Nope, never heard of them... But I would like to hear more about them.
scott

wiseguy

wiseguy

• 500 plus
  • 639 posts
I found this... SunLiteā„¢ All-Natural Low-Carb Potatoes

princesslinda

princesslinda

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 16,009 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN
  • I am a:Type 2
I read recently that if you peel your potatoes, cover with water and keep in the fridge overnight, a lot of the starch will soak out of them and the water will turn white. Next morning, change the water and cook as usual.

I thought i'd really, really miss potatoes, but that's one craving that I don't get anymore...now if only the chocolate cravings would go away that easily. ;)

T2, diagnosed 8/31/06.
Meds: Metformin-ER 500 mg twice daily, HCTZ 12.5 mg every other day for BP Enalapril 20 mg 1 daily (ace-inhibitor)
Diet: I eat to my meter, generally eating 75-100 carbs/day with the occasional splurge.

volleyball

volleyball

• 500 plus
  • 2,040 posts

I read recently that if you peel your potatoes, cover with water and keep in the fridge overnight, a lot of the starch will soak out of them and the water will turn white. Next morning, change the water and cook as usual.
)

That doesn't seem to make sense. The skin has fiber so eating potato skins would seem to be lesser of 2 evils. Next, soaking the potatoes make them more water soluble and more likely to raise BS. You may loose a little of the starch but not much. Try it, remove potatoes from bowl but leave water, let it evoporate till dry and see how much starch is actually in the water.
I think baby potatoes of the waxy variety are your best bet.
Maybe you are up for an experiment. Try both and see where your BS goes.
Let us know, inquiring minds want to know:confused:
Diabetes is a condition that you have to manage or it will manage you. The care team is only there in a supporting role

HelenM

HelenM

• 500 plus
  • 1,029 posts

I think baby potatoes of the waxy variety are your best bet

Thats what I try to use, the bonus is you seem to get a lot of potatos for the weight!
but From the glycemic index:

Potato, boiled in salted water, refrigerated, reheated (India)
GI 23;portion 150gm; carb 19.5gm; GL 4.5
compared with (from the same researchers)
Potato, boiled in salted water (India)
GI 76;portion 150gm; carb 19.5gm; GL14.8

So the cooling, and reheating seems to do something to the starch resulting in a far slower carb. Its certainly worth experimenting and seeing how it effects you

volleyball

volleyball

• 500 plus
  • 2,040 posts
The problem with refrigeration is having to wait!!!
Does make sense though. My guess would be that the salt dehydrates the potato and the so does the refrigeration so the starch is less soluble which agrees with my first assessment.
I used to eat spuds of all varieties but rarely now so we need someone who still craves them to do the test. Maybe a few people. Who's up for it?

AWarner

AWarner

• 500 plus
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts
Personally, I eat a small potato every couple weeks with no trouble at all. Another way to satisfy the craving, without all the carbs, is to make some baked pot skins. Leave a little of the potato on them and bake them with French Provencial seasonings, or even some barbeque rub, and a little olive oil drizzled on top. But other than that...just figure a potato into your carb servings for the day.
Posted Image

[COLOR="Black"]Type ll Diagnosed July 1 2007
A1c - 11.4 - July 13, 2007
A1c - 6.1 - September 27th. 2007

Daily Cocktail:
Metformin 500 mg x 2
Other meds: Methimazole; Attenolol
Omega-3, B-Complex, Women's Daily

Current Regimine:
20-50 gms carbs per meal
No White Sugar, White Bread or White Flour products

Monitor: