• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

baskar20

baskar20

• 500 plus
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts
Dear friends,

I am back after a couple of months. Thanks much for all your help in the past.

I have one question about diet. Is fat free cottage cheese good for us ( or ) do we need to avoid it?

With my little knowledge, I understand that cottage cheese and milk have lactose and may not be suitable for diabetics. The thing that is confusing me is that it is low in carbs but high in protein.

Confused!!!!

Please let me know.

Thanks,

Baskar

princesslinda

princesslinda

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 15,899 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN
  • I am a:Type 2
I think the best way to tell if you can tolerate it would be to have a serving and test 2 hrs after the first bite..if you're blood sugar is stable, you'll know it's something you can enjoy. I've never developed a taste for it myself, so I can't speak from personal experience.

Personally, I can have milk without a lot of problem. I have it on cereal (Kashi) occasionally with not much rise in blood sugar. If you can tolerate a little milk, I would think you could have the cottage cheese as well.

T2, diagnosed 8/31/06.
Meds: Metformin-ER 500 mg twice daily, HCTZ 12.5 mg every other day for BP Enalapril 20 mg 1 daily (ace-inhibitor)
Diet: I eat to my meter, generally eating 75-100 carbs/day with the occasional splurge.

Julielouise

Julielouise

• 500 plus
  • 153 posts
Hi- Well for me personally it works great. I eat it 2,3 sometimes 4 times a day. I prefer non-fat, but will eat low and regular if that's all I can get. I only eat 1/2 to 1 cup. !/2 for a snack and 1 full cup if it's a meal. I put a couple teaspoons of light and fit yogurt to give it a little more flavor and I have fruit with it.
That all being said, I don't know if it is better to have low fat or regular. For me i like the lower fat because I have a huge amount of weight to lose.
Also what works for me may not work for you. So you can give it a try and test and see if it works for you.
I am new to this so maybe I am doing things wrong, but my daily BG levels are great. I test 8-10 times a day. I am also still losing weight.
good luck to you.
Hugs-Julie
A1C 11.2 on 5/26/07 :eek:
A1C 8.5 on 6/30/07
A1C 5.1 on 9/07 :)
A1C 5.1 on 12/07 :)
A1C 5.1 on 3/08 :)
A1C 4.9 on 7/08 :D
A1C 4.8 on 10/08
A1C 4.9 on 1/09 :D
A1C 4.9 on 4/09 :D
A1C 5.1 on 8/09 :D
A1C 5.1 on 12/09 :D
A1C 5.1 on 3/10 :D

Medications:
I am now off all diabetes meds!
Started on 5 shots of insulin a day, plus metformin.
5 mg lisinopril
baby asprin
Lost over 100 pounds and kept it off.[/B][/FONT]

shockme

shockme

Banned

• Banned
  • 3,316 posts
hi baskar!a serving of milk has 13 gms of carbs.a serving of cottage cheese has 4 gms of carbs.try some and test 2 hrs after.trish
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]]jan.a1c-9.2...may a1c-6.1...aug.a1c-5.8 jan.a1c 6.0Posted Image

baskar20

baskar20

• 500 plus
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts
Thanks much Princess Linda and Julie.

I will have one cup of Cottage cheese for dinner today and test. I will inform you about the outcome tommorrow.

My Doctor had informed that I have very high insulin resistance and even though my blood sugar may be normal or slightly high, it could be because my pancreas is putting out more insulin. There is really no way to test insulin levels. My Doctor does not want to repeat insulin test again. He says it is not necessary.

Just want to make sure my pancreas lives for a little bit more time.

Looks like only eggs, chicken, fish and few vegetables are the only ones allowed to eat for me.

Pizza spikes my BS to over 290. My favourite Indian foods are already out..:( So, I am really searching for good foods to eat.

I tried Pork Rinds as suggested by Princess Linda and I liked it.

I will inform you about the test tomorrow.

baskar20

baskar20

• 500 plus
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts
Looks like I was typing when you posted a reply to me.

Thanks much.. I will test and inform yuo tommorrow.

princesslinda

princesslinda

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 15,899 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN
Baskar, I can't remember, are you on metformin? It is supposed to help your body better utilize the insulin you are producing, thereby helping with the insulin resistance and keeping your pancreas from being so overworked. Might be something to discuss with your doctor, even if your #'s are good otherwise.

Also, have you tried the brown rice as opposed to white? I've found I can tolerate it in small amounts if I add some meat and veggies to it. I've also had Tandoori chicken at a local Indian restaurant and did fine with it (though I didn't have white rice with it).

T2, diagnosed 8/31/06.
Meds: Metformin-ER 500 mg twice daily, HCTZ 12.5 mg every other day for BP Enalapril 20 mg 1 daily (ace-inhibitor)
Diet: I eat to my meter, generally eating 75-100 carbs/day with the occasional splurge.

baskar20

baskar20

• 500 plus
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts
Dear Princess Linda,

I am not on Metformin. My Doctor prescribed Avandamet which is a combination of Metformin and some other medication. I am trying to put off medication using diet and exercise right now. Instead of Metformin, is there any herbal product that might work similar to Metformin? Please let me know.

Also, I could not eat just cottage cheese for dinner yesterday. I was able to eat only half cup because I did not like the taste. May be I will like it in due course.

Anyway, I ate some fish and cottage cheese and 2 hrs after first bite, the Blood sugar came out to be 126. Hence, I think it is good.

I love tandoori chicken and thanks for letting me know about your experiment with tandoori chicken. I will try tandoori chicken without the naan bread nest time when I go to Indian restaurant.

With best regards,

Baskar

Julielouise

Julielouise

• 500 plus
  • 153 posts
Also, I could not eat just cottage cheese for dinner yesterday. I was able to eat only half cup because I did not like the taste. May be I will like it in due course.

Baskar- This is why for me a couple teaspoons of the fit and light yogurt works well, it gives a better flavor to the cottage cheese. I also add friut. Tastes like dessert to me. That may just be me though. When I don't feel like eating and I know I need to , this is my easy food.
Just a suggestion.
Julie
A1C 11.2 on 5/26/07 :eek:
A1C 8.5 on 6/30/07
A1C 5.1 on 9/07 :)
A1C 5.1 on 12/07 :)
A1C 5.1 on 3/08 :)
A1C 4.9 on 7/08 :D
A1C 4.8 on 10/08
A1C 4.9 on 1/09 :D
A1C 4.9 on 4/09 :D
A1C 5.1 on 8/09 :D
A1C 5.1 on 12/09 :D
A1C 5.1 on 3/10 :D

Medications:
I am now off all diabetes meds!
Started on 5 shots of insulin a day, plus metformin.
5 mg lisinopril
baby asprin
Lost over 100 pounds and kept it off.[/B][/FONT]

princesslinda

princesslinda

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 15,899 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN
Baskar, good to hear the cottage cheese didn't raise your blood sugar...like you, I don't care for the taste, so it isn't an option for me.

Regarding herbs, there are some here who have had success keeping their levels down using salacia oblongota...LarryH. and Wiseguy use this, you might want to get in touch with them for more information. I also take a chromium supplement (1000 mcg daily).

Keep experiementing with different foods...you may be surprised at how many of the Indian vegetarian dishes you can still enjoy...maybe just at smaller servings or less frequency. Just take a small serving and test 2 hrs after your first bite and see how you respond. I worked for a physician from Bombay for 7 years and was fortunate enough to get to sample many wonderful dishes at his home...unfortunately, i've not yet found a local restaurant that prepares foods as good as his wife did.

T2, diagnosed 8/31/06.

baskar20

baskar20

• 500 plus
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts
Thanks much for the bottom of my heart to Princess Linda, Julie and Trish.

I will try salacia herb and inform you of the outcome.

With best regards,

Baskar

Bubbles

Bubbles

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Thanks much Princess Linda and Julie.

I will have one cup of Cottage cheese for dinner today and test. I will inform you about the outcome tommorrow.

My Doctor had informed that I have very high insulin resistance and even though my blood sugar may be normal or slightly high, it could be because my pancreas is putting out more insulin. There is really no way to test insulin levels. My Doctor does not want to repeat insulin test again. He says it is not necessary.

Just want to make sure my pancreas lives for a little bit more time.

Looks like only eggs, chicken, fish and few vegetables are the only ones allowed to eat for me.

Pizza spikes my BS to over 290. My favourite Indian foods are already out..:( So, I am really searching for good foods to eat.

I tried Pork Rinds as suggested by Princess Linda and I liked it.

I will inform you about the test tomorrow.

:) :)

Hi, I am new here. I eat Nordica Fruit Flavoured Cottage Cheese, Summer Berry is the one I very much like. 90 Cal. per 113g container it's low in everything except the sodium is 300g .. no fat, 5g of chlolesterol, 8g sugar, carbs 12-2Fibre=10 carbs. I eat Kozy Shack Tapioca puddings, green packaging and I find them great. I am Type 2 Diabetic, borderline and I want to reverse this and so far so good. I see the dietician Aug. 5th, that will tell me how I'm doing. I haven't eaten anything I shouldn't since April 2009. I eat Fibre 1 cereal with 2% milk, strawberries on top and 1-113container of flavoured cottage cheese each morning for breakfast and like I said, so far so good but want to get my weight down. I'm working out at the YMCA 3 times a wk for 1-1/2 hours each time. I have become addicted to the cottage cheese, lol

slwood321

slwood321

• 500 plus
  • 225 posts
I also tried to make myself like cottage cheese and just could not. May I suggest Greek Yogurt, either the full fat or 2% kind. It is also low carb with a decent amount of protein. I added splenda and either fruit and granola. I like the Fage brand as it is very thick and a container would fill me up and keep me full for a long time. The recipe section also has a lot of good information. Good Luck.

CSTJ4

CSTJ4

• 500 plus
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts
I eat eat cottage cheese all the time. Doesn't raise my bs. Like it with a little pepper on top.
Initial A1C 3/5/09: 11.0
3/16/09: 10.1
4/13/09: 7.8
6/01/09: 5.6
7/20/09: 5.4

Tri:83
HDL: 52
LDL:58
Cholesterol: 127

foxl

foxl

• 500 plus
  • 13,756 posts
Baskar, you mean western cottage cheese, the kind with small curds, bacterially ripened, right?

The western type has added back cream or milk, or even buttermilk, and can be a highly variable product, carbs-wise. You have to check each brand separately.

Now I am thinking paneer (which is also referred to as cottage cheese, but is made by heating milk to a boil, adding lemon juice, and separating curds from whey) ... has nearly all of the carbs squeezed out -- they go with the whey -- I can it like western cheese! Easy to make at home, too. I am thinking of frying up a batch, this weekend!
Linda

[B]Jan A1c 6.3/B]
Jul 09 ... C-pep 1.3, GAD-65 > 30
Mar 10 C-pep 2.8 (20 g carb); GAD 3.2
dx 02/09 in DKA

Levemir 12U per day; novolog PRN TDD ca 16U
MetforminXR 1000 mg BID
Ramipril 5 mg
T4 112 mcg
Chia oil
Vitamin D3, 4000 IU
Eating 20 - 45 g carb per day ovo-lacto-vegetarian
Walking 30 min 6x week

andypoo

andypoo

• 500 plus
  • 1,865 posts
I love cottage cheese,and being that its 4 grams of carbs for a 1/2 c. I eat as much of it as I like . Usually for lunch with homegrown sliced tomatoes and blue cheese crumbles or with pineapple,depemding if I want something a little sweeter. I just give myself the amount of insulin required . Theres some things I just love,that I'm not going to restrict myself from. Besides its good for you.
Difficulties present choices:
we can either waste away from
our wounds or use them to grow our souls

The balance is,as always,delicate
We are constantly falling off one side are the other.
But the center is always there,waiting for us to discover it.

"Before you know kindness / as the deepest thing inside, / you must know sorrow / as the other deepest thing…. / Then it is only kindness / that makes sense anymore…."

LCD

LCD

• 500 plus
  • 221 posts
  • Locationsmall rural town in Alaska
I like to add sugar free jello to my cottage cheese. When I really want to splurge, I also add cream chesse. I keep the cream cheese lumpy. and find the little tidbits enjoyable. My DH who loves sugar, also finds this delightful.

Granny Shanny

Granny Shanny

Banned

• Banned
  • 3,380 posts

I like to add sugar free jello to my cottage cheese. When I really want to splurge, I also add cream chesse. I keep the cream cheese lumpy. and find the little tidbits enjoyable. My DH who loves sugar, also finds this delightful.

Now I like cottage cheese just plain or lightly salted, but I REALLY like this idea! lol! This reminds me of an old recipe using jello, cottage cheese, cool whip & crushed pineapple. Delicious!

foxl

foxl

• 500 plus
  • 13,756 posts

Now I like cottage cheese just plain or lightly salted, but I REALLY like this idea! lol! This reminds me of an old recipe using jello, cottage cheese, cool whip & crushed pineapple. Delicious!

Adn then there is the Nixon lunch (as in Richard Nixon) -- cottage cheese with ketchup. I confess to liking that one ... before dx anyhow.
Linda

[B]Jan A1c 6.3/B]
Jul 09 ... C-pep 1.3, GAD-65 > 30
Mar 10 C-pep 2.8 (20 g carb); GAD 3.2
dx 02/09 in DKA

Levemir 12U per day; novolog PRN TDD ca 16U
MetforminXR 1000 mg BID
Ramipril 5 mg
T4 112 mcg
Chia oil
Vitamin D3, 4000 IU
Eating 20 - 45 g carb per day ovo-lacto-vegetarian
Walking 30 min 6x week

Granny Shanny

Granny Shanny

Banned

• Banned
  • 3,380 posts
I have never, in all these years, had the courage to even TRY that! :D :D :D (but I'm not much for ketchup either . . .)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users